Author Topic: Celtics (8-6) at Nets (4-9) Game #15 11/23/16  (Read 39904 times)

Re: Celtics (8-6) at Nets (4-9) Game #15 11/23/16
« Reply #375 on: November 24, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Here is this year defensive real plus minus stat. Horford is number 19. If Smart was as good as you guys say he is, wouldn't he be higher?

https://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Here is this year defensive real plus minus stat. Horford is number 19. If Smart was as good as you guys say he is, wouldn't he be higher?

I already talked to you about DRPM.  But thanks for ignoring.  I'm going to enjoy my Thanksgiving now, but feel free to keep shouting at the air and not enjoying all the things Marcus Smart does.

« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I already talked to you about DRPM.  But thanks for ignoring.  I'm going to enjoy my Thanksgiving now, but feel free to keep shouting at the air and not enjoying all the things Marcus Smart does.

I actually responded to your post. You should read before making claims. No reason to be rude. Also sorry for negatively affecting your thanksgiving. I understand that it is annoying to see negativity on a player you like.

« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
I'm just asking everyone to be fair here. If we could use something to determine Smart's impact, it would be helpful for me. I don't think using the eye test works in debates. Sorry for ruining everyones Thanksgiving.

« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning".....Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens.

I agree with Coach.

« Reply #380 on: November 24, 2016, 01:10:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Here is last years defensive rating stat. Evan Turner was higher last year in this as well for the Celtics.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats?season=2015&category=ADVANCED&group=1&sort=5&pos=0&team=0&qual=1

Which should tell you exactly what you need to know about relying so heavily on stats that are so context-dependent.

Do you really think that Evan Turner is a better defender than Smart? The answer to that question is a resounding "no."

« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2016, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I thought this was appropriate about right now:

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4724506/celtics-marcus-smart-proving-invaluable-despite-poor-shooting

If you're looking for a highlight that helps sum up the priorities of Boston Celtics point guard Marcus Smart, just watch the Brooklyn Nets' final offensive possession of the first quarter on Wednesday night. After Brooklyn's Yogi Ferrell missed a pull-up jumper, Smart hauled in the rebound, quickly wheeled and launched a prayer the length of the court.

The heave -- which landed in a fan's lap in the first row of seats on the baseline -- wasn't officially scored a shot because Smart released the ball after the buzzer. But in a league where players go out of their way to protect their field goal percentage, Smart is the rare breed who prioritizes all things winning over his statistics.

Smart, who is badgered by casual observers for his shooting struggles, had another poor shooting performance Wednesday, making just 2-of-10 shots during Boston's 111-92 triumph at the Barclays Center. But Smart still managed to influence the game, particularly when the Celtics started to separate in the third quarter with an entrancing display of defense and playmaking.

Smart, 22, finished with 4 points, 8 assists, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals. He was plus-13 on a night when most of Boston's bench players worked to stay in positive numbers. For the season, Smart is averaging 9.9 points per game while shooting 35.9 percent from the floor. But his defensive talents and intangibles are a big reason why the Celtics won all three games on their recent road trip and have won six of their past eight overall.

There may very well come a time when the Celtics need Smart to step up and be a more consistent shooter and scorer. But what the stats suggest so far this season is that the Celtics are actually far more effective when Smart struggles to score and instead finds other ways to influence the game. Just look at his splits during Boston's wins and losses:

Smart Has Proved Key For Celtics
Marcus Smart's production in wins versus losses this season:
CATEGORY   WINS   LOSSES
Points   6.7   14.4
Rebounds   5.9   3.2
Assists   5.3   1.8
FG Pct.   27.3   45.2
3-point Pct.   18.2   44.8
Minutes   32.7   30.8
Plus/Minus   +70   -58
Maybe not surprisingly, Boston's defensive rating plummets to 91.3 points per 100 possessions when Smart is on the floor during wins this season. That's a number that's nearly five points lower than the league-leading 96.2 defensive rating owned by the Atlanta Hawks this year.

Smart's impact Wednesday was on full display late in the first quarter. The Nets' Joe Harris up-faked with a transition 3-point attempt, and Smart raced out to contest. When Harris tried to instead swing the ball to the corner, Smart leaped and batted down the pass like a defensive lineman. Smart then collected the ball, spun and had the presence of mind to feed a streaking Isaiah Thomas for a layup.

A short time later, pinned in the corner with Harris defending, Smart delivered a vicious spin move that allowed him to race into the paint, where he gave a little no-look handoff to a cutting Avery Bradley for a floater in the lane.

Late in the third quarter, as the Celtics started to pull away, Smart raced into three Nets players in transition near the free throw line, went behind his back with his dribble to protect the ball, then delivered another no-look feed to a racing Tyler Zeller for a layup.

Defensively, Smart was the usual antagonizer (just ask Trevor Booker, who found himself in a little barking match with Smart in the second half). Even when Smart got beat, he found a way to recover. Like when Harris went backdoor on a baseline cut in the third quarter and should have had an easy layup. Instead, Smart scrambled to not only block the shot but grabbed the rebound and got fouled by Harris while falling out of bounds.

Celtics coach Brad Stevens often notes how Smart simply makes winning plays. The Celtics might not have started this three-game road trip on the right foot if Smart didn't make the key hustle play before Al Horford's winner in Detroit. Teammates credited Smart for his vocal contributions before the Celtics rallied from a double-digit deficit in the fourth quarter in Minnesota on Monday.

After Wednesday's win in Brooklyn, Smart expressed satisfaction that the Celtics are slowly becoming the defensive-minded team that most expected at the start of the season. Boston was impossibly bad at the start of the year while navigating injuries, including the ankle injury that sidelined Smart for the start of the regular season. But over the past eight games, Boston's defensive rating is a league-best 95.7, a full point better than the nearest team in that same span.

Casual observers might never quite understand Smart, the No. 6 pick in the 2014 draft. Someone at your Thanksgiving dinner will grumble about his shooting if Smart's name is invoked. But Smart's impact goes well beyond his shooting percentage, and the Celtics' record might look a whole lot worse if not for his contributions.

« Reply #382 on: November 24, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Man... this discussion got heated.  Some of the comments are entirely off the wall.  Like MBung, who had no actual point to make so he just started saying "but LB's a Philly fan". Not really even worth responding to.   

I do side with tankcity! on this one.  I found a thread on the NBA subreddit yesterday comparing Marcus Smart to Julius Randle.  Surprise Surprise, most casual fans think Randle is a superior prospect.  The best comment in the entire thread comes from a Spurs fan.  Inevitably a Celtic fan joined the thread to dismiss the statistical analysis and say something to the extent if, "you need to watch the games to understand why Smart is better"... to which this Spurs fan commented:  "Thats something people say when they have nothing to support a players skill other than homerism."   Nail on head.

Jpotter, I don't care that I'm in the minority here.  Don't use "consensus opinion" as some proof point.  This board slants homer.  It doesn't reflect the actual consensus opinion on any Celtic or non-Celtic player.   

My point wasn't to bash Smart.  He's doing some positive things.  But he's always done some positive things.  There's never been a doubt that Smart was capable of doing positive things.  He's always helped us win games.  That's what role players do.   What I was reacting to is that we're now in his 3rd season and so far he's shown no real improvement from his rookie season.   

If people are happy about the positive things Marcus Smart does, that's fine.  Be happy about it.  I'm happy about it too.  He's a quality role player that's helping us win games.  But don't claim these positive things are a sign of progress.  They aren't.  Especially don't claim "this isn't about stats" and then use the fact that he had 8 assists as proof that he's improved.  That's completely contradictory.   On that note, I've pointed out that during Smart's rookie year he had a 4 game stretch in which he had 9, 3, 8 and 8 assists... they won 3 of those games.   Smart being able to throw up 8 assists isn't a sign of progress.  It's a sign that he's being utilized differently.    Just like Smart shooting 2-10 isn't a sign of progress.  It's a sign that he still is a terrible offensive player.   

If you truly ignore stats and just are reacting to the "little things" he does on the court to make positive contributions, fine.   But these are the same ill-defined "little things" he did on the court to make positive contributions the past two years.  This isn't new territory.  We were all excited about Smart's intangibles from day 1.   I don't think we've seen much progress in his ill-defined "little things" category. 

Honestly, the irony is that most people claiming Smart is improved are claiming this because of a boost in stats... and then they bark "this isn't about stats!" when you show it's not true.  The boost in stats has more to do with his role changing and the fact he's averaging 5 more minutes per game this year than the last two.   That has more to do with Evan Turner signing in Portland than anything.

It is what it is.   He's shown minimal improvement over the past 3 years.  In some ways, he's regressed.  Even out his minutes and you'll see he's impacting the games in the same way statistically:

Code: [Select]

Season     FG%  3P%  2P%  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PTS
2014-15   .367 .335 .410 .646 4.4 4.1 2.0 0.4 1.8 10.4
2015-16   .348 .253 .427 .777 5.5 4.0 2.0 0.4 1.7 12.1
2016-17   .359 .306 .409 .471 5.4 4.3 1.6 0.6 2.2 11.2
Career    .357 .297 .419 .706 5.0 4.1 1.9 0.4 1.8 11.2

Minuscule uptick in assists is offset by the rise in turnovers - both of which suggest a slight change in his role and a higher usage rate.  Not a fan of stats? Fine.  My arbitrary "eye test" tells me he's the same player he was as a rookie and is doing the same "little things" he did as a rookie to help us win.

Minimal progress.  We're all waiting for the "3rd year leap".  I still think the leap can happen.  In-fact, I'm willing to give Smart at least 35 games this season before I get too concerned - mainly because he's injury prone and missed 34 games over the past two seasons... so I'm willing to pretend his 3rd season doesn't officially start until he has 164 career games under his belt (he's only at 140 right now).   But the big thing he obviously needs to improve at is the same big thing he obviously needed to improve at as a rookie... his shooting is terrible.   So don't sit here and pretend like Marcus has actually started making significant progress by pointing out things he was always good at.   He's still a deeply flawed player.    In Smart's defense, nobody would care about the fact he's a deeply flawed player if he was taken with a late 1st rounder.   The only reason this is a discussion is because he was the #6 pick and projected to be a future all-star.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:53:34 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #383 on: November 24, 2016, 03:54:36 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

This one oughta be a real barn burner.
We won three in a row
We are now #3 in the east
Nets 3rd worst

« Reply #384 on: November 24, 2016, 05:24:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
In this game IMO KO stuck his big toe in the water.   Playing a little more defense and standing few feet closer to the paint . 

He has got to get over the body contact thing .

Part of the NBA big boys club .

Come on Kelly lay into somebody ...... you gotta fight and earn your place on the court

« Reply #385 on: November 24, 2016, 09:30:24 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Man... this discussion got heated.  Some of the comments are entirely off the wall.  Like MBung, who had no actual point to make so he just started saying "but LB's a Philly fan". Not really even worth responding to.   

I do side with tankcity! on this one.  I found a thread on the NBA subreddit yesterday comparing Marcus Smart to Julius Randle.  Surprise Surprise, most casual fans think Randle is a superior prospect.  The best comment in the entire thread comes from a Spurs fan.  Inevitably a Celtic fan joined the thread to dismiss the statistical analysis and say something to the extent if, "you need to watch the games to understand why Smart is better"... to which this Spurs fan commented:  "Thats something people say when they have nothing to support a players skill other than homerism."   Nail on head.

Jpotter, I don't care that I'm in the minority here.  Don't use "consensus opinion" as some proof point.  This board slants homer.  It doesn't reflect the actual consensus opinion on any Celtic or non-Celtic player.   

My point wasn't to bash Smart.  He's doing some positive things.  But he's always done some positive things.  There's never been a doubt that Smart was capable of doing positive things.  He's always helped us win games.  That's what role players do.   What I was reacting to is that we're now in his 3rd season and so far he's shown no real improvement from his rookie season.   

If people are happy about the positive things Marcus Smart does, that's fine.  Be happy about it.  I'm happy about it too.  He's a quality role player that's helping us win games.  But don't claim these positive things are a sign of progress.  They aren't.  Especially don't claim "this isn't about stats" and then use the fact that he had 8 assists as proof that he's improved.  That's completely contradictory.   On that note, I've pointed out that during Smart's rookie year he had a 4 game stretch in which he had 9, 3, 8 and 8 assists... they won 3 of those games.   Smart being able to throw up 8 assists isn't a sign of progress.  It's a sign that he's being utilized differently.    Just like Smart shooting 2-10 isn't a sign of progress.  It's a sign that he still is a terrible offensive player.   

If you truly ignore stats and just are reacting to the "little things" he does on the court to make positive contributions, fine.   But these are the same ill-defined "little things" he did on the court to make positive contributions the past two years.  This isn't new territory.  We were all excited about Smart's intangibles from day 1.   I don't think we've seen much progress in his ill-defined "little things" category. 

Honestly, the irony is that most people claiming Smart is improved are claiming this because of a boost in stats... and then they bark "this isn't about stats!" when you show it's not true.  The boost in stats has more to do with his role changing and the fact he's averaging 5 more minutes per game this year than the last two.   That has more to do with Evan Turner signing in Portland than anything.

It is what it is.   He's shown minimal improvement over the past 3 years.  In some ways, he's regressed.  Even out his minutes and you'll see he's impacting the games in the same way statistically:

Minuscule uptick in assists is offset by the rise in turnovers - both of which suggest a slight change in his role and a higher usage rate.  Not a fan of stats? Fine.  My arbitrary "eye test" tells me he's the same player he was as a rookie and is doing the same "little things" he did as a rookie to help us win.

Minimal progress.  We're all waiting for the "3rd year leap".  I still think the leap can happen.  In-fact, I'm willing to give Smart at least 35 games this season before I get too concerned - mainly because he's injury prone and missed 34 games over the past two seasons... so I'm willing to pretend his 3rd season doesn't officially start until he has 164 career games under his belt (he's only at 140 right now).   But the big thing he obviously needs to improve at is the same big thing he obviously needed to improve at as a rookie... his shooting is terrible.   So don't sit here and pretend like Marcus has actually started making significant progress by pointing out things he was always good at.   He's still a deeply flawed player.    In Smart's defense, nobody would care about the fact he's a deeply flawed player if he was taken with a late 1st rounder.   The only reason this is a discussion is because he was the #6 pick and projected to be a future all-star.

Stats are for losers.

Watch the games and you will see that Smart plays well

He is a top five player in a draft where he was picked 6.
https://www.google.com/amp/nesn.com/2009/12/bill-belichick-stats-are-for-losers/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon

« Reply #386 on: November 24, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I do side with tankcity! on this one.  I found a thread on the NBA subreddit yesterday comparing Marcus Smart to Julius RandleSurprise Surprise, most casual fans think Randle is a superior prospect.  The best comment in the entire thread comes from a Spurs fan.  Inevitably a Celtic fan joined the thread to dismiss the statistical analysis and say something to the extent if, "you need to watch the games to understand why Smart is better"... to which this Spurs fan commented:  "Thats something people say when they have nothing to support a players skill other than homerism."   Nail on head.

No.. that's not a surprise to me.. because most casual fans underestimate the value of elite defence.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.