Author Topic: Trade Idea: Nikola Jokic  (Read 1728 times)

Trade Idea: Nikola Jokic
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:46:08 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Hi Celticsblog!

I wanted to throw out another trade suggestion, this time for Nikola Jokic from the Denver Nuggets.

Denver tried to start the season with both Jokic and Nuric in their starting lineup and it did not produce the results they were looking for.  It seems like there may be an odd man out situation in the works, though I realize it may be too early to state that.

Anyways, I like the idea of Jokic in Boston, especially next to (and learning from) Al Horford.  Nokic has a lot of similar skills, though he is nowhere near Al's level of polish.

Here is a clip I found of Jokic towards the end of last year.  What really impresses me is about 40 seconds in where he blocks a shot and brings the ball up court himself before making a nice soft pass for the assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIr0dwQSfY

In his rookie season last year Nokic averaged 10 pts and 7 rebonds per game, while shooting 33% from deep on a limited sample size (a little more than 1 attempt per game on average).  He started 3 games at forward (small sample size I know) and averaged 15 points, 13 boards, and 4 assists in those starts.

He is not much of a defensive stopper, but certainly has the offensive versatility that Brad seems to love.  I could see him playing either the 4 or the 5 next to Horford while adding another big that can stretch the floor and handle the ball.  Best of all, he is still on his rookie contract.

You have to give something to get something and I'm not quite sure what Denver would want or see as fair value for Jokic.  As I said in the beginning I think this could be one to keep an eye on as we may be looking at an odd man out situation sooner rather than later.

Well CB, what are your thoughts on seeing Jokic in a Celtics uni? What would say is a fair trade value for him?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Edit: Just want to add that Tommy would fall in love with his hook shot in the paint!

Re: Trade Idea: Nikola Jokic
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:56:49 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
It's nearly impossible.  By that I mean, we don't know what the Nuggets have labeled on his price tag.  He surely will demand a more than unreasonable offer. His current play indicates he is worth a late first round and a bench player. Maybe Clipper pick and Jordan Mickey. If Celtics buy at Nuggets' overpriced rate: Smart, BKN pick and Olynyk.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yeah, Jokic is the type of center I'd move Horford back to PF full time for. Skilled center with a high-low game to best exploit Horford's own inside-outside game at PF.

I imagine Jokic would cost next summer's Brooklyn pick.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Yeah, Jokic is the type of center I'd move Horford back to PF full time for. Skilled center with a high-low game to best exploit Horford's own inside-outside game at PF.

you do it ?

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:24:26 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

you do it ?

I don't know. It's definitely a trade I would consider.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:54:54 AM by Who »

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Yes. Jokic is the perfect big for CBS system. He is a little slow of foot, but his rim protection is above average (49% d fg% at the rim). He is a good rebounder, passer, and shooter.

He was benched recently, and Denver has Nurkic, Arthur, Gallinari, Faried, Chandler, and scrubs.

As always, it depends on what we are giving up. If we can make the trade without forfeiting our ability to make a big trade, I'm in.