Author Topic: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?  (Read 23991 times)

Re: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2016, 07:03:19 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 83
^ Why are you linking the terms "uneducated" and "racist"?

Why not just say "racist"? Are educated racists any better? It strikes me as another way to put down those without a college degree.
I do not mean to link those terms, I meant to use them to define to separate groups: 1) uneducated (however that is defined and has been used in this election cycle) and 2) racist (racists can be educated or uneducated)

For the record, I would fall in the "uneducated" group as I believe it has been defined and am not attempting to put anyone down.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2016, 07:05:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27841
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Regarding the media, I'm curious what people think of these two stories:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/22/national-politico-editor-publishes-home-addresses-of-alt-right-icon-richard-spencer-advocates-for-baseball-bats/

https://ijr.com/wildfire/2016/11/741242-cnn-under-fire-for-misreporting-white-supremacist-leaders-anti-jewish-rant-in-d-c-hail-trump/amp/

The target here is a racist white supremacist. He deserves no sympathy. 
'
At the same time, I think both stories suck. Members of the media shouldn't be advocating violence, and they shouldn't be misquoting people, especially with big sensationalist banners. I think that applies even in the case of vile human beings.

We're not talking Breitbart or DailyKos here. These are from CNN and Politico, two respected media outlets. (To their credit, Politico presumably forced the editor to resign, and Jake Tapper cond mend the headline).

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2016, 07:10:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why not just say "racist"? Are educated racists any better? It strikes me as another way to put down those without a college degree.
I do not mean to link those terms, I meant to use them to define to separate groups: 1) uneducated (however that is defined and has been used in this election cycle) and 2) racist (racists can be educated or uneducated)

For the record, I would fall in the "uneducated" group as I believe it has been defined and am not attempting to put anyone down.

What does "uneducated" even mean? So many "progressives" use it to mean "stupid". There are a lot of "uneducated" voters who are more intelligent than the "educated" ones.

And why do we only break down whites as uneducated? What percentage of "uneducated" blacks and Latinos voted for Hillary? Does it even matter? Oftentimes, uneducated means "good, smart people who work hard".

That's not directed at you, it's moreso at the media talking point.

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2016, 07:52:11 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward

What does "uneducated" even mean? So many "progressives" use it to mean "stupid". There are a lot of "uneducated" voters who are more intelligent than the "educated" ones.

And why do we only break down whites as uneducated? What percentage of "uneducated" blacks and Latinos voted for Hillary? Does it even matter? Oftentimes, uneducated means "good, smart people who work hard".

It is not just progressives who use the term uneducated.  It is used (rightly or wrongly) to compartamentalize the voting public for polling purposes and I believe it has been used for many years...just like white, black, wealthy, poor, religious, christian etc....  In years past I do not remember people having much a a complaint with the use of the term.

In my opinion, this election has been far more divisive/polarizing than any election I can recall and people are taking more offense to being labelled or lumped with others, especially Trump supporters who seem to think that all Clinton supporters view them as dumb racists.  Again, as an example, I said that I believe that the majority of uneducated white voters and the majority of racist white voters supported Mr. Trump.  That is a simple observation on two specific demographics yet some immediately took it as me labelling all Trump supporters as uneducated and/or racist.

As for why you do not hear about uneducated blacks or latinos I have no answer.  Clearly all racial groups can be broken down further into subgroups such as educated, uneducated, racist and whatnot which is why I tried to specify the two groups I was referring to as uneducated white people and racist white people.

Anyway, that is just the thoughts of this uneducated, white, hopefully good and reasonably smart, hardworking Celtics fan who also happens to be a small county elected official.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
New poll on this issue:

Eight in 10 voters — 78 percent — say media coverage during the 2016 presidential election was biased, with 59 percent saying the press favored Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump, according to a post-election Media Research Center poll.

Roughly one-third, 32 percent, of Clinton voters believe the press was “pro-Clinton.”

Ninety-seven percent said they did not allow any of the bias from the media to impact their vote. Sixty-nine percent of voters say the media is not honest and truthful.

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 253

It is not just progressives who use the term uneducated.  It is used (rightly or wrongly) to compartamentalize the voting public for polling purposes and I believe it has been used for many years...just like white, black, wealthy, poor, religious, christian etc....  In years past I do not remember people having much a a complaint with the use of the term.

In my opinion, this election has been far more divisive/polarizing than any election I can recall and people are taking more offense to being labelled or lumped with others, especially Trump supporters who seem to think that all Clinton supporters view them as dumb racists.  Again, as an example, I said that I believe that the majority of uneducated white voters and the majority of racist white voters supported Mr. Trump.  That is a simple observation on two specific demographics yet some immediately took it as me labelling all Trump supporters as uneducated and/or racist.

As for why you do not hear about uneducated blacks or latinos I have no answer.  Clearly all racial groups can be broken down further into subgroups such as educated, uneducated, racist and whatnot which is why I tried to specify the two groups I was referring to as uneducated white people and racist white people.

Anyway, that is just the thoughts of this uneducated, white, hopefully good and reasonably smart, hardworking Celtics fan who also happens to be a small county elected official.

Good for you serving your county.  I was a small town Mayor, best and worst job I ever had. ;)

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward
New poll on this issue:

Eight in 10 voters — 78 percent — say media coverage during the 2016 presidential election was biased, with 59 percent saying the press favored Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump, according to a post-election Media Research Center poll.

Roughly one-third, 32 percent, of Clinton voters believe the press was “pro-Clinton.”

Ninety-seven percent said they did not allow any of the bias from the media to impact their vote. Sixty-nine percent of voters say the media is not honest and truthful.
I am not surprised with the results of the poll but I beleieve there are flaws in the polling that skew the numbers:

1). What is considered media in this day and age?  Is it the traditional mainstream media (abc, cbs, nbc and papers like Boston Blobe and NY Times)?  Somewhat slanted media like Fox and CNN?  Blantantly biased media like Breitbart and Huffington Post?  Wildly biased people like Alex Jones (I am sure there are wildly biased pro-Clinton people but on top of my head I cannot think of any)?  Is it the myriad of hyper-partisian websites/blogs that have popped up?  My definition of media may be different than yours.
2). What do you consider media bias?  Is it asking follow up questions and fact-checking?  Is it questioning a candidates policies?  Is it ignoring one candidates failings?
3) How sensitive are you to bias?  In this election Mr. Trump and his surrogates often spoke about unfair media.  In my opinion sometimes they had a point but often times they did not.  Regardless, it seems as though their proclamations of media bias effectively engaged/enraged their base so I would expect more of his voters to feel as though there was bias because their candidate constantly complained about bias.
4) Spin.  How effective were both candidates at spin control?  I think Kellyanne Conway was absolutely incredible in her role and was the MVP of the Trump campaign.  Never in my life have I seen someone so capable of brushing off a direct question, pivotting and turning the focus onto a negative of the opponent.  She really was amazing and the Clinton campaign was hurt by not having someone as adept as her handling their campaign.

My belief is that everyone is biased to a certain degree.  I try to keep up with all media (conservative and liberal) but I generally put less or no stock in places like Fox/CNN/Breitbart/Huff Post/Info wars.  I expect blantant bias there and in my mind they are not true media.  I put more stock in what I consider traditional mainstream media reports and I think that those places did a pretty good job of being fair and balanced.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward

Good for you serving your county.  I was a small town Mayor, best and worst job I ever had. ;)
Good for you for serving your town and I fully understand how it could be the best and worst job you ever had!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:11:41 AM by chicagoceltic »
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1963
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Education level isn't like "intelligence" or "morality" or whatever, it's a very measurable thing. Just because it hurts feelings doesn't mean it's not a useful tool for examining demographic differences. It's also very odd that the focus on the term came about after Trump said "I love the poorly educated" but it's only a pejorative when other people do it.

You can make a case that instead of "uneducated" more precise and less loaded labels like "some college or less" should be used, but pollers already do that.

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2334
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
New poll on this issue:

I am not surprised with the results of the poll but I beleieve there are flaws in the polling that skew the numbers:

1). What is considered media in this day and age?  Is it the traditional mainstream media (abc, cbs, nbc and papers like Boston Blobe and NY Times)?  Somewhat slanted media like Fox and CNN?  Blantantly biased media like Breitbart and Huffington Post?  Wildly biased people like Alex Jones (I am sure there are wildly biased pro-Clinton people but on top of my head I cannot think of any)?  Is it the myriad of hyper-partisian websites/blogs that have popped up?  My definition of media may be different than yours.
2). What do you consider media bias?  Is it asking follow up questions and fact-checking?  Is it questioning a candidates policies?  Is it ignoring one candidates failings?
3) How sensitive are you to bias?  In this election Mr. Trump and his surrogates often spoke about unfair media.  In my opinion sometimes they had a point but often times they did not.  Regardless, it seems as though their proclamations of media bias effectively engaged/enraged their base so I would expect more of his voters to feel as though there was bias because their candidate constantly complained about bias.
4) Spin.  How effective were both candidates at spin control?  I think Kellyanne Conway was absolutely incredible in her role and was the MVP of the Trump campaign.  Never in my life have I seen someone so capable of brushing off a direct question, pivotting and turning the focus onto a negative of the opponent.  She really was amazing and the Clinton campaign was hurt by not having someone as adept as her handling their campaign.

My belief is that everyone is biased to a certain degree.  I try to keep up with all media (conservative and liberal) but I generally put less or no stock in places like Fox/CNN/Breitbart/Huff Post/Info wars.  I expect blantant bias there and in my mind they are not true media.  I put more stock in what I consider traditional mainstream media reports and I think that those places did a pretty good job of being fair and balanced.

One important factor in figuring out who to trust in the media is figuring out who is doing the talking. In this instance the question I had was, 'Who exactly is the Media Research Center?'

Quote from: About Us: MRC
Since 1987, the Media Research Center has been the nation’s premier media watchdog. We don’t endorse politicians and we don’t lobby for legislation. MRC’s sole mission is to expose and neutralize the propaganda arm of the Left: the national news media. This makes the MRC’s work unique within the conservative movement.

The Media Research Center’s unwavering commitment to neutralizing left-wing bias in the news media and popular culture has influenced how millions of Americans perceive so-called objective reporting.

Integrating cutting-edge news monitoring capabilities with a sophisticated marketing operation, MRC reaches nearly 203.6 million Americans each week to educate them about left-wing bias in the media.

The Media Research Center is a research and education organization operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions are tax-deductible to the maximum extent of the law. The MRC receives no government grants or contracts nor do we have an endowment. We raise our funds each year from individuals, foundations, and corporations.

If you wanted more fair and balanced coverage of this totally neutral poll, I'd advise you check out the source material: http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/15/post-election-poll-78-percent-believe-media-coverage-biased/

So a poll commissioned by a group whose only mission is to expose the 'leftist bias in media' is cited and analyzed by one of the bastions of the Alt-Right movement and we're taking that at face value?

No wonder people don't trust the media.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2016, 09:59:55 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
New poll on this issue:

One important factor in figuring out who to trust in the media is figuring out who is doing the talking. In this instance the question I had was, 'Who exactly is the Media Research Center?'

Since 1987, the Media Research Center has been the nation’s premier media watchdog. We don’t endorse politicians and we don’t lobby for legislation. MRC’s sole mission is to expose and neutralize the propaganda arm of the Left: the national news media. This makes the MRC’s work unique within the conservative movement.

The Media Research Center’s unwavering commitment to neutralizing left-wing bias in the news media and popular culture has influenced how millions of Americans perceive so-called objective reporting.

Integrating cutting-edge news monitoring capabilities with a sophisticated marketing operation, MRC reaches nearly 203.6 million Americans each week to educate them about left-wing bias in the media.

The Media Research Center is a research and education organization operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions are tax-deductible to the maximum extent of the law. The MRC receives no government grants or contracts nor do we have an endowment. We raise our funds each year from individuals, foundations, and corporations.

If you wanted more fair and balanced coverage of this totally neutral poll, I'd advise you check out the source material: http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/15/post-election-poll-78-percent-believe-media-coverage-biased/

So a poll commissioned by a group whose only mission is to expose the 'leftist bias in media' is cited and analyzed by one of the bastions of the Alt-Right movement and we're taking that at face value?

TP.   Nice find, IP

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward
New poll on this issue:

Yes, what IP says.  TP to you sir.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/22/national-politico-editor-publishes-home-addresses-of-alt-right-icon-richard-spencer-advocates-for-baseball-bats/

https://ijr.com/wildfire/2016/11/741242-cnn-under-fire-for-misreporting-white-supremacist-leaders-anti-jewish-rant-in-d-c-hail-trump/amp/

'
At the same time, I think both stories suck. Members of the media shouldn't be advocating violence, and they shouldn't be misquoting people, especially with big sensationalist banners. I think that applies even in the case of vile human beings.

We're not talking Breitbart or DailyKos here. These are from CNN and Politico, two respected media outlets. (To their credit, Politico presumably forced the editor to resign, and Jake Tapper cond mend the headline).

Don't expect much reaction because those stories don't fit the template.

Mike

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward

'

Don't expect much reaction because those stories don't fit the template.

Mike
What template are you talking about?

As far as the two stories go, the guy from Politico needed to resign or be fired.  You simply cannot encourage people to beat someone with a bat even if they are disgusting racists.  Regarding CNN, it seems as though they jumped the gun for a splashy headline and made a mistake.  They are not the first nor will they be the last to make that mistake and as Roy mentioned Jake Tapper condemned it.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If you don't want the media to call you a bigot, don't act like one.

So, if Hillary Clinton didn't want the media to call her a corrupt liar, she shouldn't have acted like one?

Accusations of bigotry are no different than any other kind.  Sometimes they're fair and sometimes they're not.

Mike