Author Topic: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?  (Read 19329 times)

Re: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Ranting and raving about Trump like he's a Russian oligarch because he hasn't instantly liquidated all his holdings and put the money in a blind trust is not fair.
Except that he has already gone on record that his idea of a blind trust is handing his business affairs to his children. He probably needs to read up on what a qualified blind trust is.

So, are his children to be barred from doing their jobes because their father becomes President?

Mike

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1216
btw if you listened to this blog you would had expected Trump to get crushed by whites with college degrees.
Not sure why you're assuming that this blog consists exclusively of white people with college degrees. It probably doesn't.
The narrative being told pal.
Strange, I've missed where the narrative said "I'm a white person with a college degree". But to each their own, I guess.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2320
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
2.  It is a little unfair how they're freaking out about it now because they totally ignored the issue when they thought Trump had no chance to win.

1) I don't think people ignored the issue

2) I don't think people understood just how bold Trump would be. He's basically throwing a worst case scenario right now.

1.  Yes, they almost completely ignored the issue.  They barely said anything about the potential conflicts of interest with the Clinton Foundation and that got way more attention than Trump's empire.

No, people did not ignore the obvious business conflicts Trump would have as President.

Here is an article from Slate: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/14/donald_trump_s_promised_blind_trust_is_impossible.html

Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/30/donald-trump-blind-trust-foreign-business-deals-500398.html

John Oliver talked about it. Trevor Noah talked about it. I'm pretty sure posters here talked about it. We knew there could be conflicts of interest if Trump won.

2.  Trump isn't doing ANYTHING right now.  He's a multi-billionaire with business interests all across the globe and the election was three weeks ago.  The suggestion that he should have the entire thorny issue completely resolved already is flatly unfair, particularly since Trump's wealth is tied up in real things and not just figments of the market's imagination.  For example, some are making a stink about Trump meeting recently with some Indian businessmen with whom he's been working with on a development in India.  That's a business deal that may have been in the works for years and is Trump supposed to just cut off all communication with them?  How many hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of jobs might that affect?

Whether or not his business dealings are negatively affected by his withdrawal from his business is dwarfed by the possibility and ramifications of him using his position as President-Elect to FURTHER his business. You know..like trying to get legislation passed in another country because he thinks wind turbines are ugly. That's an obvious abuse of power.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:33:49 PM by indeedproceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
Ranting and raving about Trump like he's a Russian oligarch because he hasn't instantly liquidated all his holdings and put the money in a blind trust is not fair.
Except that he has already gone on record that his idea of a blind trust is handing his business affairs to his children. He probably needs to read up on what a qualified blind trust is.

So, are his children to be barred from doing their jobes because their father becomes President?
That's not how conflict of interest works.

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
btw if you listened to this blog you would had expected Trump to get crushed by whites with college degrees.
Not sure why you're assuming that this blog consists exclusively of white people with college degrees. It probably doesn't.
Strange, I've missed where the narrative said "I'm a white person with a college degree". But to each their own, I guess.
What are you talking about?

People on here said educated white people would vote in favor of Hillary. It didn't happen.

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett

People on here said educated white people would vote in favor of Hillary. It didn't happen.
It's kind of hard to make out what your point is. Either way, no-one here has singled out educated white people for anything.

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 739
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

It's kind of hard to make out what your point is. Either way, no-one here has singled out educated white people for anything.
Just read through the thread, people mentioned uneducated whites voted for Trump. He took this to mean all that educated whites voted for Hillary, when all that was said was uneducated whites voted for Trump.

He was the only one to mention educated whites. It sounds like as a Trump supporter he is sensitive that he is being painted as uneducated so he made a logical leap to defend himself against an attack that wasn't there. Calm down, plenty of educated whites voted for Trump no one is saying differently, but his strongest demographic was uneducated whites.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 241

Hillary lost white college grads by 4 points, which was in line with Obama's 1st term and Bill's. The problem was white voters w/o a college degree, where Trump won by 39 points, easily the worst margin 40 years.

So actually, she did as well as expected in that area. She won the popular vote, but she got crushed by the less educated demographic and the electoral college. The overall spread between college educated voters and not was a whopping 17 points.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

My point is pretty simple. The people on this blog and the media was wrong. Educated white people voted in favor of Trump. There was a narrative being told that educated white people were smart and would vote for Hillary because they understood policy and that the uneducated whites would be the only demographic to support Trump because well they're not as smart. Turns out the educated whites thought Trump's positions and policies were better then Hillary's also. It was a very devisive narrative and one that mocked uneducated white voters.

I know you're guilty of that because I've seen you suggest the only demographic who was supporting Trump was uneducated whites like they are to be looked down on.

Sorry it was educated whites also who voted for Trump.

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
The people on this blog and the media was wrong. Educated white people voted in favor of Trump.
No-one on this blog has said that educated white people will vote in favor of Clinton, or that this particular demographic is in any way, shape or form relevant to the outcome of the elections. See, I can repeat myself until I'm blue in the face, too :D

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 739
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

My point is pretty simple. The people on this blog and the media was wrong. Educated white people voted in favor of Trump. There was a narrative being told that educated white people were smart and would vote for Hillary because they understood policy and that the uneducated whites would be the only demographic to support Trump because well they're not as smart. Turns out the educated whites thought Trump's positions and policies were better then Hillary's also. It was a very devisive narrative and one that mocked uneducated white voters.

I know you're guilty of that because I've seen you suggest the only demographic who was supporting Trump was uneducated whites like they are to be looked down on.

To be fair we were going based on polling that indicated that educated whites would vote for Hillary. So we we read false information and believed it. If we end up being wrong, then we were wrong.

That being said, I'm not sure that you can say with certainty that educated Whites favored Trump's policies over Clinton's. Since all the votes haven't even been counted yet and Hillary is going to win the popular vote by over 2 million we can hardly speak with certainty on the demographic breakdowns yet.

It seems like you feel that people were insulting your intelligence by saying Trump supporters skewed towards uneducated, but I assure you no one was attempting to do that. We were just repeating the data as it was presented to us.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 241
The people on this blog and the media was wrong. Educated white people voted in favor of Trump.
No-one on this blog has said that educated white people will vote in favor of Clinton, or that this particular demographic is in any way, shape or form relevant to the outcome of the elections. See, I can repeat myself until I'm blue in the face, too :D

I also think that this "education" demo is misleading. Anecdotally, I know a couple people with master's degrees (law, engineering, business) that are racist AF. Same guys that were texting me racist memes about Obama when he won 8 years ago.

Education does not =love for all mankind

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 04:08:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 346
If anything, the media gave Trump a pass by trying to give as much negative press to Clinton as they gave to him even though he was a demonstrably worse candidate.  Maybe it was seen as "fair" to spend as much time on her negatives as his but he really should've had hundreds of hours of more negative press by virtue of his terrible behavior, reprehensible ideas, and his ignorance of government. I don't think that happened in the mainstream media sources.

MSNBC and Fox I'm not counting because those two are so clearly partisan. The other sources have their own set of biases but I don't think their partisan.
Orlando Magic
G - Terrence Ross/Elfrid Payton/D.J. Augustin/Arron Afflalo/Evan Turner*/Joe Johnson*
F - Aaron Gordon/Mario Hezonja/Jonathan Isaac/Wesley Iwundu/Caleb Swanigan*
C - Bismack Biyombo/Marreese Speights/Khem Birch/Omer Asik*/Ekpe Udoh*

So many picks now.

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett

I also think that this "education" demo is misleading. Anecdotally, I know a couple people with master's degrees (law, engineering, business) that are racist AF. Same guys that were texting me racist memes about Obama when he won 8 years ago.

Education does not =love for all mankind
Yes, I was going to say that higher educational attainment doesn't mean that you aren't dumb and/or racist, it just makes it less likely on average -- but figured that this point is somewhat tangential to the discussion.

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

To be fair we were going based on polling that indicated that educated whites would vote for Hillary. So we we read false information and believed it. If we end up being wrong, then we were wrong.

That being said, I'm not sure that you can say with certainty that educated Whites favored Trump's policies over Clinton's. Since all the votes haven't even been counted yet and Hillary is going to win the popular vote by over 2 million we can hardly speak with certainty on the demographic breakdowns yet.

It seems like you feel that people were insulting your intelligence by saying Trump supporters skewed towards uneducated, but I assure you no one was attempting to do that. We were just repeating the data as it was presented to us.
No worries but to clear any misunderstanding I do have a degree. I'm just tired of the narrative that you have to be uneducated or a racist to vote for Trump. It was wrong then and still is. It was the second or third time surferdad made that comment.