Author Topic: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?  (Read 26412 times)

Re: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2018, 10:25:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2429
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
American media treats him very unfairly.

I came to this conclusion when I watched BBC News and learned of Auto plants opening in Alabama that wasnt reported on the US News.

If CNN did cover it, I can't find it.

But it was covered by 'the media'. A basic google search turns up NYT, USA Today, CHicago Tribune, CNBC, Washington Post, Fox News, NPR..

Absent though, CNN, MSNBC,

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
American media treats him very unfairly.

I came to this conclusion when I watched BBC News and learned of Auto plants opening in Alabama that wasnt reported on the US News.

If CNN did cover it, I can't find it.

But it was covered by 'the media'. A basic google search turns up NYT, USA Today, CHicago Tribune, CNBC, Washington Post, Fox News, NPR..

Absent though, CNN, MSNBC,
CNN didn't cover that one, although they did cover a good amount of other plant openings/expansions in Alabama, including a $1.6 billion factory by Toyota and Mazda.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/03/news/companies/400-jobs-tennessee/index.html

In the grand scale of things, a $115-million dollar investment is getting most of its coverage exactly where it should: in regional and local media outlets.

By the way, in case you wondered about what makes AL a magnet for manufacturing jobs, here's a useful read:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-23/inside-alabama-s-auto-jobs-boom-cheap-wages-little-training-crushed-limbs
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2018, 11:32:51 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 405
The plant was either going to be built in Alabama or North Carolina, it was being built either way.  They only picked Alabama because Roy Moore lost: https://articles.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/shelbys_stance_against_moore_h.amp
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article182644116.html

« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27666
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Compare and contrast:

Quote from: CBS San Francisco
Family Heartbroken After Napa Man Arrested By ICE Agents

NAPA (KPIX 5) — As ICE agents made arrests across the state Sunday during their latest crackdown, KPIX 5 spoke to a teen girl from Napa who watched in tears as her father was taken away.

ICE agents took Armando Nunez Salgado into custody outside his home. According to family members, he was in the backyard when agents walked right in through the side gate.  His 14-year-old daughter Isabel Salgado dissolved into tears.

“I cried. I got very emotional, I was really sad,” said Isabel. “I mean to watch someone who is part of your everyday life and then you just have to watch him leave without saying goodbye. It kind of hurts.”

Armando is a construction worker who has been in America more than 30 years. His wife Elena Ponce said his parents brought him to the U.S. when he was only four years old.

Elena says when the wine country wildfires raged last October, her husband helped her brothers as they volunteered their heavy construction equipment to make fire lines that helped control the flames.

“We were all helping. This is our home. This is his home too,” said Elena. “So the fact that they took someone off like that. I don’t see the sense in it all. He wasn’t a danger to the community in any way.”

Quote from: ICE
“On Sunday, Feb. 25, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) San Francisco Fugitive Operations Team arrested ICE fugitive Armando Nuñez-Salgado, 38, a citizen of Mexico and documented Sureño gang member, who has been previously removed by ICE on four prior occasions. Over the past 18 years he has accumulated criminal convictions in California that have resulted in more than 15 years of prison sentencings. His criminal convictions include assault with a deadly weapon (statutorily enhanced because of his gang member status), burglary, hit-and-run causing injury and evading a peace officer.”

In fairness, the media article does eventually mention that the guy has a criminal past, but provides little detail, and that’s after six paragraphs of painting this guy as a saint. It would crack me up if people weren’t buying into this propaganda.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2018, 11:01:36 AM »

Offline td450

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 76
Compare and contrast:

NAPA (KPIX 5) — As ICE agents made arrests across the state Sunday during their latest crackdown, KPIX 5 spoke to a teen girl from Napa who watched in tears as her father was taken away.

ICE agents took Armando Nunez Salgado into custody outside his home. According to family members, he was in the backyard when agents walked right in through the side gate.  His 14-year-old daughter Isabel Salgado dissolved into tears.

“I cried. I got very emotional, I was really sad,” said Isabel. “I mean to watch someone who is part of your everyday life and then you just have to watch him leave without saying goodbye. It kind of hurts.”

Armando is a construction worker who has been in America more than 30 years. His wife Elena Ponce said his parents brought him to the U.S. when he was only four years old.

Elena says when the wine country wildfires raged last October, her husband helped her brothers as they volunteered their heavy construction equipment to make fire lines that helped control the flames.

“We were all helping. This is our home. This is his home too,” said Elena. “So the fact that they took someone off like that. I don’t see the sense in it all. He wasn’t a danger to the community in any way.”

“On Sunday, Feb. 25, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) San Francisco Fugitive Operations Team arrested ICE fugitive Armando Nuñez-Salgado, 38, a citizen of Mexico and documented Sureño gang member, who has been previously removed by ICE on four prior occasions. Over the past 18 years he has accumulated criminal convictions in California that have resulted in more than 15 years of prison sentencings. His criminal convictions include assault with a deadly weapon (statutorily enhanced because of his gang member status), burglary, hit-and-run causing injury and evading a peace officer.”

In fairness, the media article does eventually mention that the guy has a criminal past, but provides little detail, and that’s after six paragraphs of painting this guy as a saint. It would crack me up if people weren’t buying into this propaganda.

Come on. You quote the article and then claim "In fairness, the media article does eventually mention that the guy has a criminal past". Well, it sure does, in the very next sentence after your quote ends.

Its a brief local TV segment in a community with a lot of people who have settled in without legal status. The story could be criticized for leading with the family's perspective, but calling it propaganda is way over the top.

« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Compare and contrast:

Come on. You quote the article and then claim "In fairness, the media article does eventually mention that the guy has a criminal past". Well, it sure does, in the very next sentence after your quote ends.

Its a brief local TV segment in a community with a lot of people who have settled in without legal status. The story could be criticized for leading with the family's perspective, but calling it propaganda is way over the top.

Lol. The entire focus is on how big, bad ICE broke up this working class, fire-fighting family.  You don’t see any bias or slant here?  Is it a coincidence that this wasn’t presented in a more accurate manner, such as “ICE detains 34 year old gang member, repeat felon who has illegally entered the country at least 4 times”?

These stories have been constantly peppered into news coverage lately, the story of the poor immigrant being yanked out of the country. It’s strange that such stories never seem to include ICE’s perspective.

« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1249
Compare and contrast:

Lol. The entire focus is on how big, bad ICE broke up this working class, fire-fighting family.  You don’t see any bias or slant here?  Is it a coincidence that this wasn’t presented in a more accurate manner, such as “ICE detains 34 year old gang member, repeat felon who has illegally entered the country at least 4 times”?

These stories have been constantly peppered into news coverage lately, the story of the poor immigrant being yanked out of the country. It’s strange that such stories never seem to include ICE’s perspective.

Now why would the media bother to tell the truth when that doesn't help promote their agenda?

Yes, I realize this is a rhetorical question.

« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think the greater point is (or should be) that people who were brought to this country when they were so young don't know any other culture or way of life. I was watching a short documentary on Vice (I love Vice) where adults were brought back to Mexico - many for minor issues - and were working in English speaking call centers in Tijuana and Monterrey. They were happy to have the work, but some barely knew Spanish and they didn't know anybody. They just dreamed of another opportunity to return to what they know as home. It really isn't much different than if one of us was dropped in Mexico and told, 'good luck.'

Now, I get it, somebody who is constantly in trouble with the law can't be given a free pass every time, but it just goes to show how complicated the process is. Why 'criminals' who are or aren't from this country can't seem to figure it out is probably the larger problem.

« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1184
I think the greater point is (or should be) that people who were brought to this country when they were so young don't know any other culture or way of life. I was watching a short documentary on Vice (I love Vice) where adults were brought back to Mexico - many for minor issues - and were working in English speaking call centers in Tijuana and Monterrey. They were happy to have the work, but some barely knew Spanish and they didn't know anybody. They just dreamed of another opportunity to return to what they know as home. It really isn't much different than if one of us was dropped in Mexico and told, 'good luck.'

Now, I get it, somebody who is constantly in trouble with the law can't be given a free pass every time, but it just goes to show how complicated the process is. Why 'criminals' who are or aren't from this country can't seem to figure it out is probably the larger problem.

Vice?

The shift happened gradually. There was $200 million from Disney and another $70 million from 21st Century Fox that made Rupert Murdoch a major owner. One talk show sponsored by Bank of America, and another hosted by career Islamophobe Bill Maher. World-famous puppet master George Soros, who funds coups in favor of NATO, got his own segment. Throughout all of this, VICE Media expanded by quietly embracing the very corporate and government entities that hold the least credibility with its own, young audience.

While positioning itself as a ballsy, no-holds-barred alternative to the mainstream media, it’s actually become the mainstream media. VICE Media hasn’t just sold itself out to the neocon agenda, it’s also normalized that agenda among its audience through its growing digital platform

https://www.mintpressnews.com/vices-fall-counterculture-hipster-rag-neoliberal-government-mouthpiece/220431/

Look how they edited a Jordan Peterson interview to fit their narrative...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4tXwHjx1B8&app=desktop

« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
VICE Media hasn’t just sold itself out to the neocon agenda, it’s also normalized that agenda among its audience through its growing digital platform

They’re arguing that George Soros and Bill Maher are pushing a neocon agenda?

« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1249
VICE Media hasn’t just sold itself out to the neocon agenda, it’s also normalized that agenda among its audience through its growing digital platform

They’re arguing that George Soros and Bill Maher are pushing a neocon agenda?

Yeah, I don't think a TV network that hosts a show called "Weediquette" could possibly be considered neocon.

« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2018, 12:29:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Are women in the Trump admin given a pass?

Been seeing this question a lot on twitter, focusing most intently on Hope Hicks, who has admitted to lying as part of her job with the Trump admin, and Ivanka Trump, who tries to fill both sets of shoes of, "I'm not him, I'm his daughter so don't ask me about if my dad is a scumbag" along with "I briefed the South Korean president on plans for sanctions to NK"

I've seen a lot of, 'they (the media) would never ask Chelsea or Malia these questions', but no 'first daughter' has had the role(s) Ivanka has had with this administration.

« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »

Offline Erik

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • The voice of reason
It's hard to answer the question because it's hard to find actual media anymore.

The majority of "media" outlets are just political commentators meant to entertain existing demographics to make money. There are conservative and liberal outlets.

The reason it appears that Donald Trump is getting unfair treatment in the media is because there are far more liberal outlets. This has now extended to late night shows. People like Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and Stephen Colbert are basically just liberal mouthpieces.

Obama faced similar treatment by Fox and Breitbart, for example.

I'm just curious in general why anyone would watch/read these outlets when you know that they're going to skew the truth to make their demographics happy, as Roy's article difference above highlights. It's like watching WWE instead of Olympic Wrestling. It may be fun to watch, but please don't cite these outlets when trying to prove a point.

« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 950

Vice?

The shift happened gradually. There was $200 million from Disney and another $70 million from 21st Century Fox that made Rupert Murdoch a major owner. One talk show sponsored by Bank of America, and another hosted by career Islamophobe Bill Maher. World-famous puppet master George Soros, who funds coups in favor of NATO, got his own segment. Throughout all of this, VICE Media expanded by quietly embracing the very corporate and government entities that hold the least credibility with its own, young audience.

While positioning itself as a ballsy, no-holds-barred alternative to the mainstream media, it’s actually become the mainstream media. VICE Media hasn’t just sold itself out to the neocon agenda, it’s also normalized that agenda among its audience through its growing digital platform

https://www.mintpressnews.com/vices-fall-counterculture-hipster-rag-neoliberal-government-mouthpiece/220431/

Look how they edited a Jordan Peterson interview to fit their narrative...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4tXwHjx1B8&app=desktop

I just like a number of their shows like: Abandoned, Black Market, King of the Road, Epicly Later'd, Hate thy Neighbor, Gaycation, Cyberwar, and a number of their Vice Essentials programs (plus other 'shorts' easily found on youtube). I hope this isn't turning into a conversation about a television network, but I would hardly categorize Vice as 'neo-con' and of course they are 'sell-outs; anybody who has made it that big is, but that doesn't mean they don't present interesting alternative issues. They are like a more extreme version of PBS imo.

« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I just like a number of their shows like: Abandoned, Black Market, King of the Road, Epicly Later'd, Hate thy Neighbor, Gaycation, Cyberwar, and a number of their Vice Essentials programs (plus other 'shorts' easily found on youtube). I hope this isn't turning into a conversation about a television network, but I would hardly categorize Vice as 'neo-con' and of course they are 'sell-outs; anybody who has made it that big is, but that doesn't mean they don't present interesting alternative issues. They are like a more extreme version of PBS imo.

The part you're missing in this ironic exchange is that Mint Press News (cited above) is a pro-Islamic propoganda outlet funded by shady foreign interests with terrible editorial oversight that has been in multiple scandals. Don't sweat the Mint Press News critique. Vice is great. They're doing something new, something that there was a demand for, and they aren't afraid to cover controversial stories in-depth and sometimes at the risk of their reporters. 

This one in particular I think will stand as a touchstone for investigative journalism in the new digital age.