Author Topic: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?  (Read 24944 times)

Re: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Seems I feel the opposite way.

I would not call millions of dollars in free exposure being "treated unfairly".  DJT knew that the "megaphone" was the important thing, not what he says into it.  Many uneducated people who voted for him were not going to be swayed no matter how bad the allegations or how racist or misogynistic his statements were.
Not so fast. 54 to 39 percent of white educated males voted for Trump. White educated females only gave Hillary a slight advantage.

The liberals wants to say white uneducated voters who may or may not be racist or just dumb hillbillies is why Trump won. It's devisive and untrue and devalues good hard working white males who couldn't afford college. Not to mention it ignores that a large percentage of white educated voters voted for Trump also. If you want someone to blame look at the media and how biased they were and how they mocked uneducated white voters. People got tired of it.
I'm only talking about white uneducated people.  Regardless of how much support he got from other groups, these are the people who voted against their own interest and put him in the White House.  This was Trump's plan all along.

Don't give me that divisive crap either.  After 8 years of openly-stated divisiveness as a goal,  the Republicans have a lot of nerve saying we should all settle down and come together.  Forget it. There will be marching in the streets because that is our right as Americans.
Go ahead and protest. Just don't chant educated white voters are for Hillary because they weren't.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27820
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
There will be marching in the streets because that is our right as Americans

I hope you have a permit. Otherwise, blocking streets is generally illegal. It's certainly not a "right".

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1287

I would not call millions of dollars in free exposure being "treated unfairly".  DJT knew that the "megaphone" was the important thing, not what he says into it.  Many uneducated people who voted for him were not going to be swayed no matter how bad the allegations or how racist or misogynistic his statements were.
Not so fast. 54 to 39 percent of white educated males voted for Trump. White educated females only gave Hillary a slight advantage.

The liberals wants to say white uneducated voters who may or may not be racist or just dumb hillbillies is why Trump won. It's devisive and untrue and devalues good hard working white males who couldn't afford college. Not to mention it ignores that a large percentage of white educated voters voted for Trump also. If you want someone to blame look at the media and how biased they were and how they mocked uneducated white voters. People got tired of it.
I'm only talking about white uneducated people.  Regardless of how much support he got from other groups, these are the people who voted against their own interest and put him in the White House.  This was Trump's plan all along.

Don't give me that divisive crap either.  After 8 years of openly-stated divisiveness as a goal,  the Republicans have a lot of nerve saying we should all settle down and come together.  Forget it. There will be marching in the streets because that is our right as Americans.
Go ahead and protest. Just don't chant educated white voters are for Hillary because they weren't.
Who's talking about educated white voters? College grads are Clinton +9. Some college or less are Trump +8. The line is pretty clear.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the "54 to 39" stuff. Is it a case of "this graph doesn't say what you think it does"? That line is pretty clear, too: among white voters, Trump is +4 if college educated and a whooping +39 if not.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:55:12 PM by kozlodoev »
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 02:14:25 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Who's talking about educated white voters? College grads are Clinton +9. Some college or less are Trump +8. The line is pretty clear.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the "54 to 39" stuff. Is it a case of "this graph doesn't say what you think it does"? That line is pretty clear, too: among white voters, Trump is +4 if college educated and a whooping +39 if not.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/
CBS news poll showed 54-39 of educated white males voted for trump. Trump won the overall white educated vote by 4 points which is remarkable seeing how so many white educated females were drawn to vote for the first Female presidential candidate and btw if you listened to this blog you would had expected Trump to get crushed by whites with college degrees. He won them.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
As with most things, Trump is treated both fairly and unfairly and that has both helped and hurt him.

Take the recent focus on the ethical/legal problems of the incoming Trump Administration and the Trump business empire, for example.

1.  It is entirely fair to look at what Trump is doing and needs to do to prevent his business interests from influencing his policy-making.

2.  It is a little unfair how they're freaking out about it now because they totally ignored the issue when they thought Trump had no chance to win.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 265
I would imagine that most of the journalists went to college, read books, and learned a little bit about history on their way, either in class or over decades of covering candidates of all types.

Therefore, I'm not sure why you are surprised that many were appalled America voted in a guy with his ideas and values. Trump is re-writing the book on modern day populism and white nationalism.

Should some of these journalists have been more professional? Yes.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2341
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
2.  It is a little unfair how they're freaking out about it now because they totally ignored the issue when they thought Trump had no chance to win.

1) I don't think people ignored the issue

2) I don't think people understood just how bold Trump would be. He's basically throwing a worst case scenario right now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2341
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The OP asked the question, Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?

I'm asking the question, 'Does the Trump treat the media unfairly?'

theslot.jezebel.com/donald-trump-would-hate-for-you-to-click-and-share-thes-1789264755

http://theslot.jezebel.com/aspiring-fascist-donald-trump-cancels-meeting-with-the-1789256163

Those first two were just for funsies. Here is some real next gen Trumpiness for you:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/whats-about-to-happen-to-cnn-1789255432

Yesterday, Trump held an off-the-record meeting with a bunch of TV reporters and executives. Many of them hilariously believed the meeting would be a standard sort of “get to know you” affair to establish agreements for covering the new president; what it was instead, according to various reports, was an opportunity for Trump to harangue them all about how poorly they covered him in the primary. One source told The New Yorker, “He truly doesn’t seem to understand the First Amendment... He thinks we are supposed to say what he says and that’s it.”

Perhaps Trump understands the First Amendment just fine: He understands it is porous, and he can circumvent it by acting like a bully. Which is exactly what he will be doing.

Let’s look at the case of CNN. Trump loathes CNN. Politico reports that he “singled out” CNN in yesterday’s meeting, and labeled them “the worst.” There can be little doubt that Donald Trump, a man with the temperament of a child, a narcissist who neither knows nor cares about decorum or precedent, is rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect of making CNN pay for all of their imagined offenses against him over the years.

Last month, AT&T struck a deal to buy Time Warner for $85 billion. This would be one of the biggest media mergers of all time. It cannot happen without government approval. On the campaign trail, Donald Trump, wearing his populist hat, immediately came out against the merger, saying “Deals like this destroy democracy.” Since the election, though, Trump has hired advisers who would seem to be friendly to such a merger, and analysts now believe the deal could get approved after all, if Trump’s personal grudges are outweighed by pro-business advisers.

By making such a deal in the political environment at hand, executives from AT&T and Time Warner were making a calculated bet that they could get the deal approved under a Hillary Clinton administration. They now face the prospect of getting it done under Trump. These executives, and a galaxy of lawyers and bankers and consultants, stand to make a large sum of money if the deal is approved. The CEO of AT&T considers this merger vital for both the success of his business and his own legacy. Political concerns aside, the companies have made the calculation that they can gain regulatory approval for the deal. The election of Trump simply poses one more obstacle in their quest. Assuming the respective companies are confident they can structure the deal in a way that will pass muster with regulators and the courts, then—as incredible as this may seem—the single biggest barrier to the completion of this $85 billion media merger may be Donald Trump’s childish personal dislike of CNN’s news coverage of him. From a business perspective, the most rational course of action is to tone down that coverage to the satisfaction of Donald Trump so that the deal can proceed.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 8

The media is not without bias but it is probably the fairest most independent media in the world (and by media I mean CNN, NYT, WSJ, etc., all the media).  I believe that Trump is going to try to control the media like Putin does in Russia.  Some laws are going to change to make it easier to sue the media if you are rich and don't like what they say. Conspiratorial I know but you watch, the signals are pretty obvious if you listen.

I do worry about this a little. My bigger worry is about a general growing mistrust of media, which will make it harder for media to police politicians.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 244
The Media is Entertainment now...Selling commercials, boner pills, etc.

Trump got Billions of free publicity---good or bad....Even though CNN was so Pro-Hillary, they actually helped Trump win---All those freaking Polls every 15 minutes, saying Hillary was leading-Probably kept Dems from voting-cause of course she was gonna win.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

1) I don't think people ignored the issue

2) I don't think people understood just how bold Trump would be. He's basically throwing a worst case scenario right now.

1.  Yes, they almost completely ignored the issue.  They barely said anything about the potential conflicts of interest with the Clinton Foundation and that got way more attention than Trump's empire.

2.  Trump isn't doing ANYTHING right now.  He's a multi-billionaire with business interests all across the globe and the election was three weeks ago.  The suggestion that he should have the entire thorny issue completely resolved already is flatly unfair, particularly since Trump's wealth is tied up in real things and not just figments of the market's imagination.  For example, some are making a stink about Trump meeting recently with some Indian businessmen with whom he's been working with on a development in India.  That's a business deal that may have been in the works for years and is Trump supposed to just cut off all communication with them?  How many hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of jobs might that affect?

Now, as time goes on it will be entirely fair to expect and demand that Trump, his administration and his companies work out these issues in accordance with the law and ethics.  Ranting and raving about Trump like he's a Russian oligarch because he hasn't instantly liquidated all his holdings and put the money in a blind trust is not fair.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
btw if you listened to this blog you would had expected Trump to get crushed by whites with college degrees.
Not sure why you're assuming that this blog consists exclusively of white people with college degrees. It probably doesn't.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 03:12:40 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
btw if you listened to this blog you would had expected Trump to get crushed by whites with college degrees.
Not sure why you're assuming that this blog consists exclusively of white people with college degrees. It probably doesn't.
The narrative being told pal.

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
The OP asked the question, Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?

I'm asking the question, 'Does the Trump treat the media unfairly?'

theslot.jezebel.com/donald-trump-would-hate-for-you-to-click-and-share-thes-1789264755

http://theslot.jezebel.com/aspiring-fascist-donald-trump-cancels-meeting-with-the-1789256163

Those first two were just for funsies. Here is some real next gen Trumpiness for you:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/whats-about-to-happen-to-cnn-1789255432

Yesterday, Trump held an off-the-record meeting with a bunch of TV reporters and executives. Many of them hilariously believed the meeting would be a standard sort of “get to know you” affair to establish agreements for covering the new president; what it was instead, according to various reports, was an opportunity for Trump to harangue them all about how poorly they covered him in the primary. One source told The New Yorker, “He truly doesn’t seem to understand the First Amendment... He thinks we are supposed to say what he says and that’s it.”

No, I think it's that source who doesn't understand the First Amendment.  It protects you against government censorship and control.  THAT'S IT.  It doesn't mean the President-elect can't yell at you.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
Ranting and raving about Trump like he's a Russian oligarch because he hasn't instantly liquidated all his holdings and put the money in a blind trust is not fair.
Except that he has already gone on record that his idea of a blind trust is handing his business affairs to his children. He probably needs to read up on what a qualified blind trust is.