Author Topic: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?  (Read 26014 times)

Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 23
Seems like this topic was getting a lot of play in the "Presidential Elections" thread, but, per TrueFan, the elections are over. Time for a new thread.

So, here's the question: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?

For starters, I think "the media" needs to be defined: Fox, ABC, NBC? Breitbart? NYTimes? if you post "the media" then please define what you mean by "the media".

Second "unfairly" needs to be defined: negative stories? tilted/biased/misleading stories? Again, please define what you mean.

Finally--it's one thing to toss out something that you might believe is a truism, but for the sake of discussion, please provide details.
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Does "the media" treat Donald Trump "unfairly"?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
Here's my take:

(1) When I use the term "media" I mean the major media outlets: NYT, WSJ, WaPo, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, the Economist, etc.

(2) There's no question that each media outlet has a bias that is part of its marketing/business strategy. I'm fine with that, to an extent. I'm also fine with a media outlet endorsing a candidate. This has been the norm for as long as I can remember (though maybe is something that needs to be re-thought).

(3) Unfairly would be if a media outlet writes something incorrect, inaccurate, or that deliberately puts a very different spin than facts would warrant. In my opinion, Trump has not been treated unfairly. The media need to correct/call out when Trump states things that are inaccurate. According to Politifact, over 50% of what Donald Trump said was "False" or "Pants on Fire" (i.e., demonstrably, blatantly false) http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/. (By way of contrast, this figure is 12% for Hillary Clinton: http://www.politifact.com/personalities/hillary-clinton/).

(4) I think Trump wants to be perceived as being "treated unfairly" -- it de-legitimizes the role of the media, and plays to what (at least a portion of) Trump's base wants to hear.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2359
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yes. Donald Trump is treated unfairly by the media, because of the very nature of the way the media covers stories now, very few media outlets see things through, build 'big stories'.

For Donald Trump during the election, the media was outmaneuvered by Trump's constant shifting of the field goals or in more negative terms, this was the media every time Trump decided he wanted to change the conversation:

He was treated unfairly early on in particular by CNN's own admission; their airing of several of his rallies and speeches nearly in entirety was an incredible advantage over all other participants, from any party.

And finally he's treated unfairly by the media because few in the media are willing to risk their access to hold him to task on the things he says and does.

And they're right to be scared, Donald Trump will fight 'the media' more than he'll fight ISIS. He's already at war with SNL and Hamilton: The Musical.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
very few media outlets see things through, build 'big stories'.

I agree with you on this. Washington Post's David Fahrenthold is a nice exception, though. https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-a-fahrenthold/

I wish there was more in-depth reporting like his from all the major media outlets (NYT, WSJ, FOX, MSNBC, etc).

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yes. Donald Trump is treated unfairly by the media, because of the very nature of the way the media covers stories now, very few media outlets see things through, build 'big stories'.
Very few media consumers see things through these days. It's the new age of no attention span.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 586
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Seems I feel the opposite way.

I would not call millions of dollars in free exposure being "treated unfairly".  DJT knew that the "megaphone" was the important thing, not what he says into it.  Many uneducated people who voted for him were not going to be swayed no matter how bad the allegations or how racist or misogynistic his statements were.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
very few media outlets see things through, build 'big stories'.

I agree with you on this. Washington Post's David Fahrenthold is a nice exception, though. https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-a-fahrenthold/

I wish there was more in-depth reporting like his from all the major media outlets (NYT, WSJ, FOX, MSNBC, etc).

I almost listed him as a great exception to this in the post. I might honestly subscribe to the NYT and Washington Post through my business (along with the local papers). These guys have to get paid.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27753
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I don't know how to define "unfairly", in that most of the stories seem mostly accurate. They could probably do a little more digging into some of their sources, and I think some of the links between Trump and his racist supporters are lazy, but I get why sensationalism sells.

I do think that many in the media take rooting interests. I think news stories slant and editorialize the facts to help their preferred candidates. I think the news media has become more about "infotainment" along with driving an agenda.

I think that the media focused more on the negatives of Trump than the negatives of Hillary. A lot of the Wikileaks disclosures or some of the pay to play allegations weren't covered at all.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 330
The media largely just reported what Trump said.  You would see one of his surrogates (Pence or Conway) get asked say about his statement about how Hillary was going to let in 650M immigrants in the first week and they would start with the "why are you harping on this".  Or ask what are the details of your plan to deport 11 million immigrants or provide surveillance on all american Muslims.    You unfair media, why can't you just talk about how Trump will drain the swamp or Hillary's emails.

The media is not without bias but it is probably the fairest most independent media in the world (and by media I mean CNN, NYT, WSJ, etc., all the media).  I believe that Trump is going to try to control the media like Putin does in Russia.  Some laws are going to change to make it easier to sue the media if you are rich and don't like what they say.  Conspiratorial I know but you watch, the signals are pretty obvious if you listen.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 396
i would assume most media sites would just portray any republican candidate unfairly, because most of them are associated with the democratic party? Had anyone else besides Trump ran against Hillary I would assume the same thing. Every news media has some sort of agenda.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 510
The media's overall primary interest is ratings. Highlighting Trump and his failings is a much, much bigger ratings draw across the board than anything they could show on Hillary, good or bad.

I don't think people realize that deep down, most media people are ecstatic that Trump won. He's a huge ratings draw for them for the next 4 plus years. It's a huge win for the media.

I think we can all admit, love him or hate him, Trump as president is fascinating to watch.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:14:40 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 01:07:12 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

I would not call millions of dollars in free exposure being "treated unfairly".  DJT knew that the "megaphone" was the important thing, not what he says into it.  Many uneducated people who voted for him were not going to be swayed no matter how bad the allegations or how racist or misogynistic his statements were.
Not so fast. 54 to 39 percent of white educated males voted for Trump. White educated females only gave Hillary a slight advantage.

The liberals wants to say white uneducated voters who may or may not be racist or just dumb hillbillies is why Trump won. It's devisive and untrue and devalues good hard working white males who couldn't afford college. Not to mention it ignores that a large percentage of white educated voters voted for Trump also. If you want someone to blame look at the media and how biased they were and how they mocked uneducated white voters. People got tired of it.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 586
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Not so fast. 54 to 39 percent of white educated males voted for Trump. White educated females only gave Hillary a slight advantage.

The liberals wants to say white uneducated voters who may or may not be racist or just dumb hillbillies is why Trump won. It's devisive and untrue and devalues good hard working white males who couldn't afford college. Not to mention it ignores that a large percentage of white educated voters voted for Trump also. If you want someone to blame look at the media and how biased they were and how they mocked uneducated white voters. People got tired of it.
I'm only talking about white uneducated people.  Regardless of how much support he got from other groups, these are the people who voted against their own interest and put him in the White House.  This was Trump's plan all along.

Don't give me that divisive crap either.  After 8 years of openly-stated divisiveness as a goal,  the Republicans have a lot of nerve saying we should all settle down and come together.  Forget it. There will be marching in the streets because that is our right as Americans.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

It is true. Uneducated white voters are one of the biggest reasons Trump won. They favored the republican candidate by 14 more points than they did in 2012. Meanwhile, white college educated voters preferred Hillary by 4 pts more than they preferred Obama.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/