Author Topic: Celtics (7-6) at Timberwolves (4-8) Game #14 11/21/16  (Read 49125 times)

Re: Celtics (7-6) at Timberwolves (4-8) Game #14 11/21/16
« Reply #450 on: November 22, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Marcus is going to break out eventually.  He's playiing a jack of all trades role for us. His offense is still coming.  If he were purely a pg and inserted into games like some teams do he would put up better numbers.   The celtics are developing him differently.

The issue with Marcus isn't mindset or talent level.  He is still adjusting to what his role is.  As he is more the aggressor in that role the better he is.
I think with this draft being PG heavy at top and rozier showing progress, Marcus is a trade candidate this season.
lol

5 straight pages of CB'ers talking about how invaluable Smart is and LarBrd just drops in at the end and says maybe the team will trade him. I love it.
Its like he didn't watch the game. Smart Roz and Horford won us that game.

That's like saying Robert Horry won the Lakers Game 7 game against the Blazers. Do you guys just look at one play? His plus minus wasn't even great until the 4th quarter, where Rozier and Horford started balling. Just crazy to include Smart on the list of players who won us the game. Brown made some good plays in the 4th as well. Might as well mention him too.

« Reply #451 on: November 22, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Marcus is going to break out eventually.  He's playiing a jack of all trades role for us. His offense is still coming.  If he were purely a pg and inserted into games like some teams do he would put up better numbers.   The celtics are developing him differently.

The issue with Marcus isn't mindset or talent level.  He is still adjusting to what his role is.  As he is more the aggressor in that role the better he is.
I think with this draft being PG heavy at top and rozier showing progress, Marcus is a trade candidate this season.
lol

5 straight pages of CB'ers talking about how invaluable Smart is and LarBrd just drops in at the end and says maybe the team will trade him. I love it.

That's like saying Robert Horry won the Lakers Game 7 game against the Blazers. Do you guys just look at one play? His plus minus wasn't even great until the 4th quarter, where Rozier and Horford started balling. Just crazy to include Smart on the list of players who won us the game. Brown made some good plays in the 4th as well. Might as well mention him too.
I get pretty critical of Smart at times but last night you simply can't criticize his play. He came up with huge rebounds, clutch three, a clutch steal, clutch loose ball. He was all over the place affecting the game.

« Reply #452 on: November 22, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I fell asleep and missed the end of the game.  Sounds like Smart did his thing; unimpressive stats but found ways to help the team win.

Something I remember about Paul Pierce is that he would get say 4-6 rebs a game but it always seemed that 3-4 of his rebounds would be the ones that we really needed at a key point in the game, often at the end of the game.  He just had a nose for the ball (insert your favorite cliche).  It is what made Pierce a great player over all the other good players who could score.

Smart is like that.  Smart will never be the scorer Pierce was of course but seems to have the same nose; knows when we need a big play and finds a way to make it.

Trade Smart?  Sure, I am open to that in the right deal.  I think Rozier gives us that flexibility.  I think Smart is more valuable, certainly more versatile than Rozier, but we need an upper tier starting big (PF or C) to round out this team.  If Smart could get us that player, i am OK to  trade him.

And on a tangent note, Amir Johnson has been disappointing.

« Reply #453 on: November 22, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

lol

I get pretty critical of Smart at times but last night you simply can't criticize his play. He came up with huge rebounds, clutch three, a clutch steal, clutch loose ball. He was all over the place affecting the game.

I know he made a big three when they doubled Al. He def had rebounds. Not trying to be critical of him at all. I understand your perspective.

« Reply #454 on: November 22, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
I fell asleep and missed the end of the game.  Sounds like Smart did his thing; unimpressive stats but found ways to help the team win.

Something I remember about Paul Pierce is that he would get say 4-6 rebs a game but it always seemed that 3-4 of his rebounds would be the ones that we really needed at a key point in the game, often at the end of the game.  He just had a nose for the ball (insert your favorite cliche).  It is what made Pierce a great player over all the other good players who could score.

Smart is like that.  Smart will never be the scorer Pierce was of course but seems to have the same nose; knows when we need a big play and finds a way to make it.

Trade Smart?  Sure, I am open to that in the right deal.  I think Rozier gives us that flexibility.  I think Smart is more valuable, certainly more versatile than Rozier, but we need an upper tier starting big (PF or C) to round out this team.  If Smart could get us that player, i am OK to  trade him.

And on a tangent note, Amir Johnson has been disappointing.

Smart for Noel. I know Noel can't rebound either so not sure it would solve all of our issues. Also not sure Philly would do it.

« Reply #455 on: November 22, 2016, 04:43:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

lol

He was also guarding Wiggins a lot in the 4th and shut him down. He, along with the rest of the lineup that started the 4th, turned the defense up to 11 and that won the game. He was instrumental in the win. It was not just one play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #456 on: November 22, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

lol

Sell high

« Reply #457 on: November 22, 2016, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

lol

Sell high

Do you actually think his value is high? I really like Smart, but even I know that his value is at or near an all time low right now.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #458 on: November 22, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

lol

Sell high

Do you actually think his value is high? I really like Smart, but even I know that his value is at or near an all time low right now.
Not high, actually.  Smart could still end up being better than he is right now.

I don't think you'd get equal value for Thomas since nobody is giving up an all-star for a 5'9 All-star.  I don't think you'd get equal value for Rozier since it's been such a small sample size and nobody is giving up anything subtantial for a player with his resume.   You could theoretically get decent return for Smart.  He's probably the one to trade.

« Reply #459 on: November 22, 2016, 05:26:26 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

lol

Sell high

Not high, actually.  Smart could still end up being better than he is right now.

I don't think you'd get equal value for Thomas since nobody is giving up an all-star for a 5'9 All-star.  I don't think you'd get equal value for Rozier since it's been such a small sample size and nobody is giving up anything subtantial for a player with his resume.   You could theoretically get decent return for Smart.  He's probably the one to trade.

Yeah you'd get a decent return, but i would rather hold onto him in that case, for the chance that he ends up being better than what we trade him for.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #460 on: November 22, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

lol

Sell high

Yeah you'd get a decent return, but i would rather hold onto him in that case, for the chance that he ends up being better than what we trade him for.
I don't want to jinx anything or get overly excited, but there's a decent chance that Brooklyn pick is special.  There's multiple phenom PGs at the top of this draft.  Imagine a scenario where we take one, but also have Thomas, Smart and Rozier.   Now you're looking to trade someone without leverage.   The team has needs and I'm not sure Smart's role is unique enough that we would die without him.   He's a nice role player and could still break out this year, but I think he's the frontrunner trade candidate.  Even if we dont' end up with a PG in the draft, Rozier is rising fast and seems capable of getting the backup PG minutes.

« Reply #461 on: November 22, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

lol

Sell high

I don't want to jinx anything or get overly excited, but there's a decent chance that Brooklyn pick is special.  There's multiple phenom PGs at the top of this draft.  Imagine a scenario where we take one, but also have Thomas, Smart and Rozier.   Now you're looking to trade someone without leverage.   The team has needs and I'm not sure Smart's role is unique enough that we would die without him.   He's a nice role player and could still break out this year, but I think he's the frontrunner trade candidate.  Even if we dont' end up with a PG in the draft, Rozier is rising fast and seems capable of getting the backup PG minutes.

I want Ball or Fultz. If that happens, goodbye Smart. Check out your boy Ford below.

‏@chadfordinsider Chad Ford
Totally agree. Markelle Fultz & Lonzo Ball have played like No. 1 picks too. And Harry Giles & Jayson Tatum haven't played yet. Great draft.

« Reply #462 on: November 22, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

lol

Sell high

One thing i do know for sure: Danny has shopped Marcus around a lot. his name has come up in trade rumors in the past 2 drafts, and i wouldnt be surprised if he also shopped Marcus around at previous trade deadlines, but didnt leak out a rumor or anything.