Author Topic: Celtics (7-6) at Timberwolves (4-8) Game #14 11/21/16  (Read 48840 times)

Re: Celtics (7-6) at Timberwolves (4-8) Game #14 11/21/16
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
jordan hill plays 5 minutes per game

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I want to see a bounce-back game from Marcus.  He's back to shooting embarrassingly terrible shooting percentages.  37% FG, 31% three, 47% FT.  He's 320th in the league in true shooting percentage.  Ugh. 

In addition to Towns, it will be nice to get a look at LaVine and Wiggins... two of the 13 players from the 2014 draft that are currently outperforming Smart.

I'm surprised the Wolves are only 4-8.  I think they are much better than that record reflects and they should go on a run at some point this season.  Hopefully it doesn't start against us.
Regarding Smart, I am surprised to see those numbers.  The eye-ball test tells me he is shooting better this year, especially from outside.  Maybe the last couple games have pulled him down?

OTOH, I am NOT surprised the Wolves are 4-8.  It is a very young team and Thibs demands constant effort on the defensive end.

Exactly. It's been the last 2 games I think. Still a small sample though.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP FL
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I want to see a bounce-back game from Marcus.  He's back to shooting embarrassingly terrible shooting percentages.  37% FG, 31% three, 47% FT.  He's 320th in the league in true shooting percentage.  Ugh. 

In addition to Towns, it will be nice to get a look at LaVine and Wiggins... two of the 13 players from the 2014 draft that are currently outperforming Smart.

I'm surprised the Wolves are only 4-8.  I think they are much better than that record reflects and they should go on a run at some point this season.  Hopefully it doesn't start against us.
Regarding Smart, I am surprised to see those numbers.  The eye-ball test tells me he is shooting better this year, especially from outside.  Maybe the last couple games have pulled him down?

OTOH, I am NOT surprised the Wolves are 4-8.  It is a very young team and Thibs demands constant effort on the defensive end.

The Dallas and Detroit games have been bringing him down.  He did okay in the GSW game (2-4 on 3s, although the 2-6 on 2s is bad)

As for his FTs, he's shot 2-4 twice, 1-2 twice, and 2-5 once, with 5 games that he shot no FTs in.  It's still way too early to tell anything about his FT shooting
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 11:06:23 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

The Dallas and Detroit games have been bringing him down.  He did okay in the GSW game (2-4 on 3s, although the 2-6 on 2s is bad)

As for his FTs, he's shot 2-4 twice, 1-2 twice, and 2-5 once, with 5 games that he shot no FTs in.  It's still way too early to tell anything about his FT shooting

I wish he would shoot less 3s and drive instead. Love Marcus, but he thinks he's Steph sometimes lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I think an issue with Smart's shooting % is for whatever reason the team seems to always dump it to Smart when they run out of options late in the clock and he has to take some wild ass shot

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 11:54:57 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
3 Keys:

Minnesota is the 2nd best offensive rebounding team in the league, we're the second worst defensive rebounding team.  Will need full focus to keep them off the boards.

We're a much better ball handling team, more assists/fewer turnovers.  Need to push this advantage.

Wiggins, Towns and Lavine are all excellent 3 point shooters.  Wiggins and Lavine shoot as well or better from 3 than 2, so need to stay with them on the perimeter and force them to put it on the floor.

Celts 108, Wolves 104.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think an issue with Smart's shooting % is for whatever reason the team seems to always dump it to Smart when they run out of options late in the clock and he has to take some wild ass shot
Except facts say this is not even remotely accurate.

This year's Marcus Smart has been shooting the worst within the first 10 seconds of the clock -- and coincidentally this is when he's been taking most of his shots.

http://www.82games.com/1617/16BOS4.HTM

Last year's Marcus Smart has been shooting the worst in the middle of the shot clock (11-20 sec), and has been above (his own) average early and late in the clock.

http://www.82games.com/1516/15BOS3.HTM

It's worth noting that in both cases Smart has taken fewer than 10% of his shots after the 20th second of the shot clock. That's not what the issue with his "shooting percentage" is.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6

This year's Marcus Smart has been shooting the worst within the first 10 seconds of the clock -- and coincidentally this is when he's been taking most of his shots.

Last year's Marcus Smart has been shooting the worst in the middle of the shot clock (11-20 sec), and has been above (his own) average early and late in the clock.

It's worth noting that in both cases Smart has taken fewer than 10% of his shots after the 20th second of the shot clock. That's not what the issue with his "shooting percentage" is.

I said an issue not the issue. and wow that surprises me. It always seems to me like Rozier or Bradley dump it to Smart or Brown to chuck at the end of the clock.  Can't depute cold hard facts though lol

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Spot on. TP.

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

There's still no debating the fact that he chucks 3s a lot, often randomly too. His shot selection is a big reason why his percentages are so low.

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 01:12:15 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

There's still no debating the fact that he chucks 3s a lot, often randomly too. His shot selection is a big reason why his percentages are so low.

Contested ones have got to leave his repertoire for now. Needs to play like Evan Turner, dribble penetrate, stop/body up, floaters.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Contested ones have got to leave his repertoire for now. Needs to play like Evan Turner, dribble penetrate, stop/body up, floaters.

Yep. He doesn't have that burst of speed that a guy like Isaiah or Jaylen has, so it's not always as easy for him to take it to the rim. Evan wasn't particularly fast either, he was just very crafty and knew his spots. Marcus has to find his spots.

And while he's partly responsible for that, it's also up to Brad to put him in positions where he can succeed. That's exactly what he did with Turner, and now he's a very rich man. But now look at Evan in Portland. He's not playing in a position where he can succeed. I think he's actually last in the entire NBA in +/- and RPM, according to something I read on Twitter a few days ago.

Point is, Brad and Marcus have to both work to figure out where and how Marcus can be successful on the offensive side of the ball. That starts with actually playing him as the main ball handler for the second unit (have Terry catch and shoot off the ball), and then shooting less 3s and finding better shots for Smart.

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

good stuff koz, and this fits with what my eyes tell me. i have watched smart will run down the floor and take a low percentage shot with 14 seconds left on the shot clock - for reasons i cannot fathom.

it has been mentioned by others that smart's problem seems to be his decision making on what shots to take. if CBS can discipline him to ONLY take certain shots at certain times, his shooting would benefit.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Because it's such a small sample size, he could rattle off a couple very efficient shooting performance and see his percentages jump to mediocre.  It's just discouraging seeing him shoot under 40% again while so many players from the 2014 class are making leaps right now.  Smart is still a great defender and intangibles guy, but his offense is a problem.