Author Topic: Celtics (7-6) at Timberwolves (4-8) Game #14 11/21/16  (Read 49385 times)

Celtics (7-6) at Timberwolves (4-8) Game #14 11/21/16
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (7-6) at Minnesota Timberwolves (4-8)
Monday, November 21, 2016
8:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #14, Road Game #8
TV: CSN-NE, FS North, NBA-LP 762(DTV)/759(Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WCCO-AM 830
Target Center

Probable Starters
PGSG SF PF C
Isaiah Thomas ...Avery Bradley...Jae Crowder...Al Horford...Amir Johnson

Celtics Reserves

Jaylen Brown
Gerald Green
Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko
Tyler Zeller
Kelly Olynyk
Marcus Smart

Injuries
None

Head Coach
Brad Stevens 

Probable Starters
PGSGSF PF C
Ricky Rubio...Zach LaVine...Andrew Wiggins... Gorgui Dieng... Karl-Anthony Towns

Timberwolves Reserves

Cole Aldrich
Nemanja Bjelica
Kris Dunn
Jordan Hill
Tyus Jones
John Lucas III
Adreian Payne
Shabazz Muhammad

Injuries
Nikola Pekovic (ankle) out
Brandon Rush (toe) Game Time Decision

Coach
Tom Thibodeau

Game Notes
The Celtics continue their 3 game road trip with a stop in Minnesota to take on the Timberwolves.  The Celtics are 5-5 in their last 10 games but they are healthy now for the first time this season.  The Wolves are 4-6 in their last 10 games and are starting the same lineup they finished last season with. 

The Celtics are coming off a win over the Pistons while the Wolves are coming off a loss to the Memphis Grizzlies. The Minnesota has beaten the Celtics 4 straight times at the Target Center while the Celtics have won 10 straight at the TD Garden. 

The Celtics are healthy for the first time this season.  Marcus Smart limped off the court after the last play in Detroit but I haven't seen anything so far about any injury that could keep him out of this game.  Shabazz Muhammad returned to the Wolves' lineup on Saturday after missing 3 games with a knee injury.  Nikola Pekovic is out for the season with an ankle injury.  Brandon Rush is a game time decision. 

Key Matchups
vs
Jae Crowder vs Andrew Wiggins
Andrew Wiggins is playing very well and averaging 25.7 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists.  The Celtics are happy to have Jae back for this matchup.  He needs to stay with Wiggins and keep him from having a big night.

vs 
Amir Johnson vs Karl Anthony Towns 
Towns has been very good this season after a year of Kevin Garnett's mentoring.  He is averaging 21.8 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.25 blocks.  Amir will have his hands full trying to slow down the Wolves 7' center who is versatile enough to beat out Isaiah Thomas in the Skills Challenge. 

Honorable Mention

Avery Bradley vs Zach LaVine
LaVine is playing very well this season.   Avery needs to keep him from getting into the paint because he is very good at finishing when he does.  He is averaging 19.1 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.4 assists.  LaVine's athleticism will be a challenge for Avery on both ends of the court.

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics must defend. The offense feeds off of the defense and if the Celtics can't get stops they struggle on the other end as well.  They struggled with two of their best defenders out for 8 games.  But now that they are healthy, it's time to once again clamp down on defense.  Defense wins games!!

Rebound - The Celtics must get rebounds to prevent second chance points and fast breaks for the Wolves. Rebounding takes effort and desire and the Celtics have got to show both and crash the boards as a team.  When they put out the effort on the boards, it also translates to the other parts of their game. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics have to be aggressive in going after loose balls and rebounds and in taking the ball to the basket. They also have to be aggressive on defense. When they are aggressive in going to the hoop good things happen. The Celtics have to play like they are the team that wants it more.

Set the Pace-
The Celtics must run from the beginning of the game until the final buzzer. Running will allow them to get easy baskets as they get down the court before the defenses set up.  They have to run and they have to move the ball.   When they slow it down, more times than not, they struggle. 

Play As a Team - The Celtics have been successful when they move the ball and play unselfishly, making the extra pass to get the best shot.   They  have succeeded by playing as one star and playing hard for each other.    They need play as a team and move the ball and find the open man.  They also have to play as a team on the defensive end and play swarming team defense. 

X-Factors
On the Road
- The Celtics are playing in the 2nd of a 3 game road trip.  They have to be able to focus and block out the hostile crowd and the factors that make it difficult to play on the road.  They are 3-4 on the road now and have to find a way to play better away from the Garden. 

The Gang's All Here - The Celtics are going into this game with everyone healthy and they have had a day to play for this game with the whole team available.  Hopefully that will translate to better play and another win for the Green team

Officiating -  Officiating is always an x-factor. Will they let them play or will they call every ticky tack foul?  It's usually to the Celtics' benefit if they let both teams play.  Will they call it fair or will they favor one team over the other? One never knows what any given crew will do. Refs usually favor the home team somewhat so the Celtics need to play through any bad calls and not let the officiating distract them.

Re: Celtics (7-6) at Timberwolves (4-8) Game #14 11/21/16
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
First reply?

I am looking forward to seeing MIN.  Some interesting young players.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:03:34 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Hopefully we can start a nice win streak with this game :D. Glad to see our starting lineup back, and Zeller back to the depth of the bench were he crawled up from.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:04:57 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We are due for a winning streak, baby!  Go C's!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP Vermont Green for being the first to post in the game thread!

Goooooooo Celtics!!! 

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 09:26:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Let's goooooooooo!!!!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
A win steak is on the way folks! The Celtics will tear up the next seven opponents.

Grrrrr....goooooooooo Celtics!,  ;D

Thanks flc once more for a thread. It won't be long before your TPs outnumber your posts. Impressive.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 09:30:37 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Hopefully we get this easy win!!!
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 09:32:57 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Minny are really starting to gel but they've had a couple of disappointing losses lately. Really interesting one this game.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Best thing I've seen in a preview all season:

Injuries
None

TP for the write-up and the good news!

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
KAT will be fun to watch. Hope we get a win streak going.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 03:10:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I want to see a bounce-back game from Marcus.  He's back to shooting embarrassingly terrible shooting percentages.  37% FG, 31% three, 47% FT.  He's 320th in the league in true shooting percentage.  Ugh. 

In addition to Towns, it will be nice to get a look at LaVine and Wiggins... two of the 13 players from the 2014 draft that are currently outperforming Smart.

I'm surprised the Wolves are only 4-8.  I think they are much better than that record reflects and they should go on a run at some point this season.  Hopefully it doesn't start against us.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:46:31 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 06:10:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I want to see a bounce-back game from Marcus.  He's back to shooting embarrassingly terrible shooting percentages.  37% FG, 31% three, 47% FT.  He's 320th in the league in true shooting percentage.  Ugh. 

In addition to Towns, it will be nice to get a look at LaVine and Wiggins... two of the 13 players from the 2014 draft that are currently outperforming Smart.

I'm surprised the Wolves are only 4-8.  I think they are much better than that record reflects and they should go on a run at some point this season.  Hopefully it doesn't start against us.
Regarding Smart, I am surprised to see those numbers.  The eye-ball test tells me he is shooting better this year, especially from outside.  Maybe the last couple games have pulled him down?

OTOH, I am NOT surprised the Wolves are 4-8.  It is a very young team and Thibs demands constant effort on the defensive end.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Smart is the only one on the 2014 draft that gives you that last play vs the Pistons.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I do not expect this to be an easy game.
Jordan Hill will have a lot of rebounds !