Author Topic: What to do with such a guard centered daft?  (Read 15933 times)

Re: What to do with such a guard centered daft?
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2016, 11:57:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
can someone confirm that Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 11th in the 2017 draft?  I've read that it's very strong up top... unlike the 2016 draft that was apparently terrible other than Ben Simmons (and the Brandon Ingram project).   I casually skimmed a few draft articles recently that claimed there are as many as 5 guys on the same prospect level as Ben Simmons coming in 2017... and several others who would be better than all the guys taken 3-8 in 2016.

Ben simmons, the talented non-shooter who played on a team that didn't make the tourney and is going to a non winning team? i heard he was the next Lebron....

Hahaha you casually skimmed a couple articles, but came to the conclusion that Jaylen Brown could go no higher than 11th? I love it.

Yeah definitely don't believe that. I think he at least goes top 6/7. I would put it in this order:

1. Markelle Fultz
2. Josh Jackson
3. Jaysom Tatum
4. Harry Giles (if knees are healthy could be 1)
5. Dennis Smith Jr.
6. Jaylen Brown

Jaylen Brown's atheticism, potential on defense, and scoring ability keep him relatively high for me. Don't see anybody else with that combo after 5.

Ahh love draft talk. My super early take on the lottery:

Philly                   Markelle Fultz
New Orleans   Dennis Smith
Phoenix           Josh Jackson
Boston           Harry Giles
Dallas           Jayson Tatum
Washington   Ivan Rabb
Miami           Jonathan Isaac
Sacramento   Frank Ntkilina
Philly (from LA)   Malik Monk
Orlando           Jarrett Allen
New York           Miles Bridges
Denver           Jonathan Isaac
Minnesota           Lonzo Ball
Dallas (Mem)   Bam Adebayo

I would take Jaylen Brown #5 after Harry Giles (6'10) and before Jayson Tatum. I don't think Harry Giles career is over as many doomsayers are writing.

I want Giles, Fultz, or Smith.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:03:00 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2016, 01:03:13 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
can someone confirm that Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 11th in the 2017 draft?  I've read that it's very strong up top... unlike the 2016 draft that was apparently terrible other than Ben Simmons (and the Brandon Ingram project).   I casually skimmed a few draft articles recently that claimed there are as many as 5 guys on the same prospect level as Ben Simmons coming in 2017... and several others who would be better than all the guys taken 3-8 in 2016.

Ben simmons, the talented non-shooter who played on a team that didn't make the tourney and is going to a non winning team? i heard he was the next Lebron....

Hahaha you casually skimmed a couple articles, but came to the conclusion that Jaylen Brown could go no higher than 11th? I love it.

Yeah definitely don't believe that. I think he at least goes top 6/7. I would put it in this order:

1. Markelle Fultz
2. Josh Jackson
3. Jaysom Tatum
5. Dennis Smith Jr.
6. Jaylen Brown

Jaylen Brown's atheticism, potential on defense, and scoring ability keep him relatively high for me. Don't see anybody else with that combo after 5.

Washington   Ivan Rabb

I would take Jaylen Brown #5 after Harry Giles (6'10) and before Jayson Tatum. I don't think Harry Giles career is over as many doomsayers are writing.

Looks like you have 6 teams from the East and 8 teams from the West not making the playoffs.  You list Johnathan Isaac twice.  I don't see NOP being the 2nd worst team or the Sixers being the worst if Simmons comes back in January.  Don't see Rabb going at #6.  I'd put him late lottery.  Some notables you left off Markkanen, Anunoby and Fox. 

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Draft Express has Rabb at 10 and Anunoby at 9, and Brown was rated higher than both last year.  I think he slots at 5-8 in this years draft.  Such a hypothetical discussion though, you'll never know and it really doesn't matter.

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2016, 08:46:59 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The top 10 prospects by draftexpress breaks down like this:

1   Markelle Fultz  PG
 2   Dennis Smith  PG
 3   Jayson Tatum  SF
 4   Josh Jackson  SF
 5   Harry Giles  PF
 6   Frank Ntilikina  PG
 7   Jonathan Isaac  SF
 8   Lauri Markkanen  PF
 9   OG Anunoby  SF
 10   Ivan Rabb  PF

That's 3 point guards, 4 small forwards, and 3 power forwards.

Doesn't seem that out of balance.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/list/
The last few years I've beaten draftexpress and nbadraft.net. I'm sticking with my top picks for this draft because I bet on here that I could nail it again. I'm pretty confident and these picks were made over a year ago and Smith was my guy since he was a soph in hs.

Dennis Smith Jr
Thomas Bryant- most realistic Joel Embiid comparison in the draft
Bam Bam

So are those your top 3 prospects?

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Why Smith? He is much more of a pure point than Fultz and Im not sure this team need another point.

1. Markelle Fultz
2. Josh Jackson
3. Jaysom Tatum
5. Dennis Smith Jr.
6. Jaylen Brown

Washington   Ivan Rabb

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
We're taking Josh Jackson. He's a gritty, athletic wing who can't shoot. This guy has Ainge written all over him.

Mike

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
We're taking Josh Jackson. He's a gritty, athletic wing who can't shoot. This guy has Ainge written all over him.

Mike

lol yup.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Trade the pick
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Its early and I have seen very little of him but Isaac from Florida ST has me intrigued. His size and skill set could make him a nice long term option as a floor spacing PF/SF. 6'11 7'+ wingspan SF skill set and shooting 45%+ from the college 3.

I also wouldn't be shocked if we see a 2017 draft night IT trade where DA drafts a PG and moves IT to avoid having to pay him. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2016, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

1. Markelle Fultz
2. Josh Jackson
3. Jaysom Tatum
5. Dennis Smith Jr.
6. Jaylen Brown

Washington   Ivan Rabb

One player that a lot of people are leaving out of there top 12 is Marques Bolden. He's a five-star recruit and from what I've seen really has the skills to be a starting two-way center in this league.

Yeah my top 12 is:
1. Markelle Fultz
2. Josh Jackson
3. Jaysom Tatum
4. Dennis Smith Jr.
5. Harry Giles
6. Frank Ntilikina
7. Marques Bolden
8. Lonzo Ball
9. Ivan Rabb
10. De'Aaron Fox
11. Miles Bridges
12. Jonathan Isaac

I don't personally value Isaac that high because he is more of a tweener than he is a true SF or a true PF. He's also not a good enough defender or rebounder to play the 4 either. Tons of potential, but more of a late lotto pick than a top 5-6.

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Mike

I would stop following the Celtics if that happened. Josh Jackson has future role player written all over him. He's very overrated imo.

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Why do you say that?

Mike

I would stop following the Celtics if that happened. Josh Jackson has future role player written all over him. He's very overrated imo.

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

You know what to do with a Guard Centered draft? Take Harry Giles. The best Big.

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2016, 03:36:38 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Still not sold completely on Giles until I see him play for Duke. Bolden is the player that nobody is talking about that could easily slip into the top 6 if he comes back and plays as well as I think he can. Definitely a special talent at C and definitely a big man that would dramatically improve our frontcourt. Good shot blocker, good rebounder, great athleticism for a big, developing back to the basket game,  and the measurements to be stand out. Really excited to see this guy play and think he would be a great addition to  our squad.

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Last year I was hooting and hollering for Jaylen Brown.  This year, I'm sticking with the Golden Bears and jumping on the Ivan Rabb bandwagon.  Watchout!

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/116223/how-good-can-cal-star-ivan-rabb-be

Editorial note: obviously depending on where the pick is.....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."