Author Topic: What to do with such a guard centered daft?  (Read 16002 times)

Re: What to do with such a guard centered daft?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
All the centers in this draft are super skinny (except that Bolden kid from UCLA) and won't be ready to contribute meaningfully until at least 2019/2020, which is fine - that will be when our true championship window opens. Sacramento, on the other hand will have their eyes on Markelle Fultz for sure...

It's win/win/win situation
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 09:14:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I don't know, but I really like Bam Adebayo! It remains to be seen if he is as good as promised, but I really like his fit with us. He has a great motor and is a relentless rebounder. I think he might be worth a top 5 pick.
In the two games I've watched, I'd say Bam has quite a ways to go to be worth a top 5 pick.  He's got good size but not particularly good length.  He moved well for a big guy on defense but wasn't an imposing presence.  His rebounding was not relentless in those two games.  Nothing particularly memorable about his offense.  It will be interesting to see how he develops over the season. 

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
The top 10 prospects by draftexpress breaks down like this:

1   Markelle Fultz  PG
 2   Dennis Smith  PG
 3   Jayson Tatum  SF
 4   Josh Jackson  SF
 5   Harry Giles  PF
 6   Frank Ntilikina  PG
 7   Jonathan Isaac  SF
 8   Lauri Markkanen  PF
 9   OG Anunoby  SF
 10   Ivan Rabb  PF

That's 3 point guards, 4 small forwards, and 3 power forwards.

Doesn't seem that out of balance.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/list/

Reasonable, fact based posts are not looked kindly upon.  Please limit yourself to absurd rants and hot takes.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I don't think position matters when you're drafting in the top 5. If Danny thinks Markelle Fultz is going to be similar to Damian Lillard, or Dennis Smith is similar to Chris Paul, he should take either of them, regardless of what we currently have.

That being said, I don't think we should draft 3 guys who play the same positions (like the 76ers) in consecutive years. Luckily, we have drafted a SG, PG, and SF in the last 3 drafts.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The top 10 prospects by draftexpress breaks down like this:

1   Markelle Fultz  PG
 2   Dennis Smith  PG
 3   Jayson Tatum  SF
 4   Josh Jackson  SF
 5   Harry Giles  PF
 6   Frank Ntilikina  PG
 7   Jonathan Isaac  SF
 8   Lauri Markkanen  PF
 9   OG Anunoby  SF
 10   Ivan Rabb  PF

That's 3 point guards, 4 small forwards, and 3 power forwards.

Doesn't seem that out of balance.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/list/
To answer the OP's question you take the best player available. However, you attempt to decide who would be the best player availabe based on the current personnel and your system.

Fultz is the the clear best player in the draft and his size could allow him to play 1-3 at the next level so I don't see him being a pg as a terrible issue. Ntilikina is long and supposedly a good shooter so he could give us quality minutes at the 1 or 2 so I could see him as a potential draftee.

Smith on the other hand is strictly a pg so I don't like the fit on our team.

FWIW, I think before the end of the year Miles Bridges, Bam Adebayo and Lonzo Ball move into the top 10. The first two would be a great fit with our current roster. While I think Ball's length and shooting would allow him to play with a number of different guys.

Bridges and Jaylen would be a great switch everything 3/4 combo imo.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think the Cs are actually in a pretty good position as long as they dont fall in that 5 - 6 range. I say this because this is where I think the more pure point guards will actually fall in this draft. I would certainly be fine with taking Ivan Rabb in this range but if there are more dynamic talents then it could posse a few problems.

I think the top 4 could be Fultz, Tatum, Jackson, Giles (if they knees are relatively sound). I can see Smith being in this range. If Smith does not crack the top 4 then the choices will be Rabb, Ball, and Smith. As I stated earlier I really like Rabb but I dont want to be put in a position where he is the only choice. Wait I forgot about the kid from Arizona.

Lastly, looking at this current team, while we lack quality bigs that can rebound, I think we also lack height on the wings so taking Jackson or Tatum if given the chance would not bother me .

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Trade Smart now.  Rozier can take his minutes.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
trade him for what?

I love smart, but i'm not opposed to the right trade (that goes for anyone on the roster)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What to do? Try to win games. Make the big trade if it comes up. Take the best player available if no trades present themselves.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 04:03:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Doesn't matter Ainge would take a guard or wing anyway

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 04:04:03 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

You seem to be the one that is less optimistic about Smart than others on this blog. In your eyes, what would be a fair return for a guy that was picked #6 overall and has played 139 games?

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Draft the best player available.  Only make a trade if you "win" the trade and get more value back than you send out.
Agree with this, but it's starting to get hard to ignore the lack of frontcourt depth that we have behind Horford.

Then you address that through FA and trades. You don't reach for a worse big man to fill a need, especially since they won't be ready right away. In the draft, talent trumps need
Yes, and specifically for the reason I bolded.

If we're worried about front court depth right now, it would be stupid to draft a 20 year old who won't be ready for 2-3 years when Horford will be over the hill. The front court depth should be addressed this season via the trade market with some of the other assets the team has.

When the draft comes, draft the best player available and if the fit doesn't make sense, make a good trade, with the assumption that taking the best player will net you the best return on a trade.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

You seem to be the one that is less optimistic about Smart than others on this blog. In your eyes, what would be a fair return for a guy that was picked #6 overall and has played 139 games?
hey, hey

NOBODY respects smart more than lar
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I don't know what LarBrd would want in return, but I just know he's not happy with Smart since apparently all the other 59 picks in that draft are outperforming him, and because he doesn't put up good fantasy stats or good per 36 stats.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think the Cs are actually in a pretty good position as long as they dont fall in that 5 - 6 range. I say this because this is where I think the more pure point guards will actually fall in this draft. I would certainly be fine with taking Ivan Rabb in this range but if there are more dynamic talents then it could posse a few problems.

I think the top 4 could be Fultz, Tatum, Jackson, Giles (if they knees are relatively sound). I can see Smith being in this range. If Smith does not crack the top 4 then the choices will be Rabb, Ball, and Smith. As I stated earlier I really like Rabb but I dont want to be put in a position where he is the only choice. Wait I forgot about the kid from Arizona.

Lastly, looking at this current team, while we lack quality bigs that can rebound, I think we also lack height on the wings so taking Jackson or Tatum if given the chance would not bother me .
Rabb pulled out of the last draft because he was being projected in the 10-15 range.  I can't see him going higher in what is supposed to be a much deeper draft.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip