Author Topic: What to do with such a guard centered daft?  (Read 15990 times)

What to do with such a guard centered daft?
« on: November 20, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
With us being so shallow in the frontcourt it sucks to say that there are very few top tier big men prospects available at the top of this draft.
The only big man that seems worthy of a top 5 pick  is Harry Giles and even he is questionable with his multiple, major knee injuries.
Do we add a dynamic guard like De'Aaron Fox or Dennis Smith Jr. to develop behind IT? Or should we take a chance on a player like Giles and hope he goes Embiid on the league?

Re: What to do with such a guard centered daft?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:52:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Draft the best player available.  Only make a trade if you "win" the trade and get more value back than you send out.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:54:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Draft the best player available.  Only make a trade if you "win" the trade and get more value back than you send out.

This. That early in the draft, it's BPA no matter what.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't know, but I really like Bam Adebayo! It remains to be seen if he is as good as promised, but I really like his fit with us. He has a great motor and is a relentless rebounder. I think he might be worth a top 5 pick.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:47:48 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
Agree with this, but it's starting to get hard to ignore the lack of frontcourt depth that we have behind Horford.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:58:58 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Too early to tell if C's get a top pick to be worried about the draft being guard heavy.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:33:51 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:19:52 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Well if we move on from either Jerebko, Olynyk, or both I'd like to throw an early shout out to Arizona big man by way of Finland Lauri Markkanen. 7 feet tall, can score from all over the court, excellent free throw shooter. I'm predicting a top 6 selection for Markkanan and IMO would be a nice fit next to Horford.

He's been strong so far at Arizona and was a dominant force at the FIBA U20 Championship.

Over three games so far this season, the Finnish 7-footer is averaging 20.3 points, shooting 59.4 percent from the field while making 5 of 11 three-pointers and 18 of 19 free throws.
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/markkanen-becoming-arizona-wildcats-go-to-player/article_dbf4d3f1-2431-55bc-ae9c-545f6681dbba.amp.html?client=ms-android-verizon

Markkanen only played 26.5 minutes a game yet still led the entire tournament in scoring, with averages of 24.9 points, 8.6 rebounds, 1.0 assist, 2.3 steals, and 1.3 blocks per game. To give you an idea of how dominant his performance was, that's a line of 37.6/13.0/1.5/3.5/2.0 per 40 minutes. Even more impressively, Markkanen scored over a third of his team's points in relatively limited minutes while only averaging 1.9 turnovers per game and posting shooting splits of 54.9/39.4/83.3 from 2/3/FT. Markkanen was Finland's clear best talent and offensive focal point and still managed to have a ridiculously efficient 62.7% true shooting percentage.
http://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2016/7/28/12306254/lauri-markkanen-scouting-report-arizona-basketball-recruiting?client=ms-android-verizon

https://youtu.be/fAJ3ltmUWFU

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:20 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
This draft have more depth in the wing than PGs. Top 10 lottery consist of 6'6" PGs who can be developed into combo guards and hybrid SF/SG's. I don't mind drafting 6'5" guards in the draft.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 02:18:57 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I don't know, but I really like Bam Adebayo! It remains to be seen if he is as good as promised, but I really like his fit with us. He has a great motor and is a relentless rebounder. I think he might be worth a top 5 pick.

Haven't watched him yet, but have heard good things about him. I'll try to catch a lot of college ball over winter break in a few weeks.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 02:19:05 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
Well if we move on from either Jerebko, Olynyk, or both I'd like to throw an early shout out to Arizona big man by way of Finland Lauri Markkanen. 7 feet tall, can score from all over the court, excellent free throw shooter. I'm predicting a top 6 selection for Markkanan and IMO would be a nice fit next to Horford.

He's been strong so far at Arizona and was a dominant force at the FIBA U20 Championship.

Over three games so far this season, the Finnish 7-footer is averaging 20.3 points, shooting 59.4 percent from the field while making 5 of 11 three-pointers and 18 of 19 free throws.
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/markkanen-becoming-arizona-wildcats-go-to-player/article_dbf4d3f1-2431-55bc-ae9c-545f6681dbba.amp.html?client=ms-android-verizon

Markkanen only played 26.5 minutes a game yet still led the entire tournament in scoring, with averages of 24.9 points, 8.6 rebounds, 1.0 assist, 2.3 steals, and 1.3 blocks per game. To give you an idea of how dominant his performance was, that's a line of 37.6/13.0/1.5/3.5/2.0 per 40 minutes. Even more impressively, Markkanen scored over a third of his team's points in relatively limited minutes while only averaging 1.9 turnovers per game and posting shooting splits of 54.9/39.4/83.3 from 2/3/FT. Markkanen was Finland's clear best talent and offensive focal point and still managed to have a ridiculously efficient 62.7% true shooting percentage.
http://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2016/7/28/12306254/lauri-markkanen-scouting-report-arizona-basketball-recruiting?client=ms-android-verizon

https://youtu.be/fAJ3ltmUWFU
Completely agree man!! Him and Hartenstein would be great fits in our offense, but I'm just worried about their ability to defend. Not looking for an elite shot-blocker because Horford has actually become the anchor of this defense, but someone that won't be a liability and won't take multiple seasons to develop into a marginal defender, Kelly Olynyk.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 02:36:57 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Well then, this draft will be right up Danny's alley—bring on the combo guards!

Seriously, there could be a draft in which 90% of the players are 7-foot centers, and Danny will still come out of it with a 6-8 "big man" and a couple of combo guards.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 06:42:46 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Agree with this, but it's starting to get hard to ignore the lack of frontcourt depth that we have behind Horford.

Then you address that through FA and trades. You don't reach for a worse big man to fill a need, especially since they won't be ready right away. In the draft, talent trumps need
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:25:17 AM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 06:59:05 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I'm interested in seeing how Jaylen's former teammate Ivan Rabb performs.  He was arguably a lottery pick last year but stayed in school.  Seems to fit the profile for today's modern big, and could be a good fit next to Al. 

Too early to tell where we will pick and who will be there, but it will be fun to watch everything fall into place.

I suspect whomever we draft will be part of our second unit anyways, but you never know.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Well then, this draft will be right up Danny's alley—bring on the combo guards!

Seriously, there could be a draft in which 90% of the players are 7-foot centers, and Danny will still come out of it with a 6-8 "big man" and a couple of combo guards.
And if they were to be the bpa, then ainge should draft them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The top 10 prospects by draftexpress breaks down like this:

1   Markelle Fultz  PG
 2   Dennis Smith  PG
 3   Jayson Tatum  SF
 4   Josh Jackson  SF
 5   Harry Giles  PF
 6   Frank Ntilikina  PG
 7   Jonathan Isaac  SF
 8   Lauri Markkanen  PF
 9   OG Anunoby  SF
 10   Ivan Rabb  PF

That's 3 point guards, 4 small forwards, and 3 power forwards.

Doesn't seem that out of balance.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/list/