Author Topic: Would you Celtic fans trade Jaylen Brown?  (Read 6959 times)

Re: Would you Celtic fans trade Jaylen Brown?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 08:36:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Brown has a legit NBA first step, and Ainge is high on him, not going to happen.

Haha that's the perfect way to describe the situation.
Ainge's binky= never being moved unless KG level player is coming back.

TP.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 08:47:47 AM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
No.  Period.

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Amen! This is a hell no trade. Noel is a season rental unless of course you're committing near max dollars to him in his upcoming free agency.

I get we all want the trade to take us forward quicker but you don't trade a top 3 pick who has shown signs of potential playing against NBA talent after you've had a quarter of his rookie season. This trade is preposterous if you really think about it.

JB moves only with an All Star returning. Blake Griffin, PG13, Boogie and maybe a handful of others.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 10:09:45 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Only people wishing for Jaylen Brown to fail want to make this trade. Its the same people who come on every game thread reporting on each mistake Jaylen makes, while remaining silent for every highlight.

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Brown is 2 years younger than Giannis. That's how young he is.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i guess i am missing something. the debate seems to be whether to give up jaylen brown, a rookie, to get noel who is about to become a free agent, no?

why not simply wait for noel to become a free agent and have him come to boston then? then the celtics could have both players.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
This is silly.  This is not a discussion about trading Jaylen Brown but rather about how much you like Noel and where do you think the Lakers' pick will end up.

The answer to the question that was the title of this thread, "Would you (we) Celtics fans trade Jaylen Brown?", the answer is easy, Yes, for the right deal.  For example I would include Brown in a deal for Cousins but probably not Noel.

Regarding the Lakers' pick, we have enough picks so one more is not all that valuable to me.  We are already forced to stash players.

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I get the premise. In an ideal scenario, Noel comes in and gives the Cs everything they need up front to go along with Horford. When the off-season comes, we extend the QO to Noel giving us the option to sign another big name FA (I don't think you could do KO and Noel in this scenario, though). This is the benefit of acquiring him via trade rather than throwing $20M+/yr at him in FA - it doesn't eat up nearly as much cap space.

In addition to Noel, you hope to get a top 10 pick from LAL to replace Brown and also have the back-up SF minutes solidified by a productive player/shooter in Covington.

I have no doubt that we would be better this year with this trade, but it is also the type of trade very few gms end up making, due in large part to the possibility of what Brown might become. I wouldn't freak out if this deal was made, but I would then have to totally root against Brown forever, which I wouldn't like doing.

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Brown has a legit NBA first step, and Ainge is high on him, not going to happen.

TP.
its completely baseless though.  Ainge would definitely move Jaylen for the right offer.   Philly would never offer this for him though.  They are better off keeping the laker pick.   They wouldn't do this for the same reason most Celtic fans wouldn't trade the 2017 Brooklyn pick for marquis Chriss... let alone the pick and a starter caliber player like Noel (Olynyk ?  Smart?)

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
For a superstar?  Yes.

For Noel and a pick?  No.

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2016, 02:34:36 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

TP.
its completely baseless though.  Ainge would definitely move Jaylen for the right offer.   Philly would never offer this for him though.  They are better off keeping the laker pick.   They wouldn't do this for the same reason most Celtic fans wouldn't trade the 2017 Brooklyn pick for marquis Chriss... let alone the pick and a starter caliber player like Noel (Olynyk ?  Smart?)
but is that laker pick going to be that great?

Maybe. Or maybe not. Only time will tell

I don't think either team would take this trade
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
For a superstar?  Yes.

For Noel and a pick?  No.

TP. This is the correct answer.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2016, 02:53:41 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

TP.
but is that laker pick going to be that great?

Maybe. Or maybe not. Only time will tell

I don't think either team would take this trade
Is Brown going to be that great?  Only time will tell.  I wouldn't be surprised if Miles Bridges, currently 19th in DraftExpress 2017 mock, ends up being better than Brown. 

I tend to agree that neither team would make the trade with all the uncertainty. 

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Good trade idea and good discussion.  I think gambling that the Laker pick will be valuable is a pretty good gamble.  Noel will get QO and I would think he'd be likely to sign a hefty RFA offer if C's don't offer him a sizable contract.  This is a big risk as NN is not where the C's should be going with a max, or close to max, contract.   Lose Noel or pay him more than you want is probably where they find themselves next off-season.

Gerald Green is currently losing minutes to JB in order to get JB some experience.  But GG is the superior player right now -  and he'll eventually get all of JBs minutes if Jaylen doesn't take a decent leap by February.  For this season, the proposed trade is definitely in the C's favor.  For the future, it's probably not.  Though two top ten picks this year sounds fun.

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

TP.
Im sure you understand how much the top 3 protection changes the value of those two picks.

Terrible comparison.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.