Author Topic: Would you Celtic fans trade Jaylen Brown?  (Read 7000 times)

Re: Would you Celtic fans trade Jaylen Brown?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 11:08:21 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's too risky for Ainge.

Brown could be a top 10 player one day.
I want Noel, but you can't make this trade because Brown is the only player we have with Top 10 player potential.
I'll let the unrealistic "top 10 player potential" thing slide, because I genuinely believe Jaylen can have a really bright future if he stays with this coach, system and surrounding talent.   If you put him in Philly, I think his ceiling would be significantly lower.  They'd be lucky if he turned into a poor man's Jeff Green.  Brown's theoretical potential is contingent on him going head-to-head against pros like Jae Crowder daily in practice and learning on the job in high-level well-coached team.   Stick him on a team like the Kings or something, he's got as much "top 10 player potential" as someone like Marquis Chriss.  And I think teams understand that... which is why it's extremely unlikely Philly would make this offer. 

And again, assuming that Laker pick will end up in the 4-10 range, there's a decent chance the prospect Boston would get in this hypothetical trade has more "Top 10 player potential" than Jaylen Brown.

Lol this would be an awful trade for the celtics.

Absolutely terrible.

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 11:26:50 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Celtics learned that you don't trade your new rookie in the first year, Joe Johnson was a real kick to the nutz

Chauncey Billups too.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 11:32:38 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I don't like this trade. I'm not psyched about Noel's offensive game. Jaylen has already made high-level contested shots and has wowed me with his driving ability, finishing in thunderous dunks.

I've watched Philly a couple times this year. Not impressed by Covington, who has a 6.87 PER on a terrible team. I like the LA draft pick. I'm not sure we resign Noel.

If we trade Jaylen Brown, I want a better player, not another draft pick.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 12:11:19 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
God no.
Noel is a defensive role player. Can't catch a cold around the basket.

Jaylen Brown has the combination of size, strength, handle, athleticism and IQ to be an NBA superstar.

He's 19 years old.

If it was Noel+ a top 3 pick I'd think about it, but then we're just hoping we find another Jaylen Brown.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 12:16:45 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
No, Brown is the best player in the trade, you don't want to be on that end.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 12:21:38 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's actually not as bad a trade as people are suggesting.

I like what I see of Brown, he has some undeniable upside.  However it's still too early to predict how high that ceiling actually is - Jimmy Butler, Rudy Gay or Jeff Green?   Too hard to tell until at least a month after the All Star break, since that's usually about the time when rookies start to really show their potential. 

On the other hand Covington is a really solid wing who can stretch the floor, he'd make a nice backup SF and would probably fit the team well. 

Noel is a very young and extremely athletic 7 footer who can rebound the ball, has elite defensive potential, and actually probably has more offensive potential then most give him credit for.  Not saying he'll ever be a good scorer, but he's got the potential to be able to at least be productive on that end of the floor.  The injury history is a bit of a worry, but he seems to have maintained a good motor and work ethic despite playing on the 76ers, and that says a lot about his intangibles - in the right team with the right culture and tutelage he could be something really special down the line.

The Lakers pick is tough to call.  I feel they are overachieving right now and I do believe they will drop off and become a bottom 10 year, and as such that pick probably will fall into the top 10.  The way the Nets are playing, there's some chance that pick might not be far off the Brooklyn one.  Having two top 10 picks in next year's draft is a pretty nice prospect.

Losing Brown would hurt, but we'd have Gerald Green, Covington and Smart who can all fill in minutes at that position, so we could survive it.

When I first read the OP my response was an emphatic "no!", but the more I stop and think about it the more I lean towards yes.  It's a pretty good deal and probably makes sense for both teams. 

For us:
Noel is exactly the type of big we need alongside Horford and offers us extra rebounding and rim protection that we desperately need, while Covington/Green combined give us plenty of depth at the wing positions and the Lakers pick gives us the potential for two top 10 picks in the 2017 draft.

For Philly:
They get an athletic, high upside swingman who can score at the basket or from the perimeter and who has the potential to be a versatile two-way threat.  He'd be a perfect fit alongside Embiid and Simmons with those three guys forming the perfect "big three" to build around.  If they then move Okafor for a decent young PG they are in business.

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 12:21:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Even if you thought the talent was even, Noel will be getting paid next year, Jaylen in 3. Doesn't fit well with our salary plans, and as noted the Lakers pick doesn't look like it's going to be that good and I believe is still top-3 protected.

It's not a crazy idea, I just don't think it'd be a good fit even if we didn't have high hopes for Brown, and I think we do.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 01:22:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Our best chance to get through the cavs will be year 3 and 4 of horford's contract. Better to be patient..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 01:28:46 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I would hate to trade Jaylen but I'd do it if it could transform us into a contender now (eg landing Cousins or Anthony Davis or someone in that franchise level tier).
- LilRip

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 02:15:21 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I want Noel, but you can't make this trade because Brown is the only player we have with Top 10 player potential.
I'll let the unrealistic "top 10 player potential" thing slide, because I genuinely believe Jaylen can have a really bright future if he stays with this coach, system and surrounding talent.   If you put him in Philly, I think his ceiling would be significantly lower.  They'd be lucky if he turned into a poor man's Jeff Green.  Brown's theoretical potential is contingent on him going head-to-head against pros like Jae Crowder daily in practice and learning on the job in high-level well-coached team.   Stick him on a team like the Kings or something, he's got as much "top 10 player potential" as someone like Marquis Chriss.  And I think teams understand that... which is why it's extremely unlikely Philly would make this offer. 

And again, assuming that Laker pick will end up in the 4-10 range, there's a decent chance the prospect Boston would get in this hypothetical trade has more "Top 10 player potential" than Jaylen Brown.

Absolutely terrible.
Without the Lakers pick, it's an awful trade for the Celtics.  With it, it's an entirely different discussion.  76ers would never offer that for Jaylen, though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:23:51 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 04:32:17 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Absolutely terrible.
Without the Lakers pick, it's an awful trade for the Celtics.  With it, it's an entirely different discussion.  76ers would never offer that for Jaylen, though.

So with a pick outside the top 10, it's now a perfectly reasonable trade for us?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 04:37:18 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Absolutely terrible.

So with a pick outside the top 10, it's now a perfectly reasonable trade for us?
From what I've read, Jaylen Brown would not be selected in the top 10 of the 2017 draft, so probably.  Whereas 2016 might be historically weak outside of Simmons (and maybe Ingram some day), the 2017 draft has been widely called "loaded" with elite level talent.

It's also top-heavy with PG's and SF's... which is why Philly would never offer this for Jaylen Brown.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:46:26 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 05:51:54 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
It's to early to tell he's the real deal but the more I watch him the more I'm convinced he goes in the right direction. So, if I'm trading Brown or Smart it would be the package for TOP 10 player.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 08:21:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Brown has a legit NBA first step, and Ainge is high on him, not going to happen.

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
TP to the OP for the interesting and pretty even trade proposal.  Assuming a Cousins trade isn't on the horizon, I think I'd make the trade but I don't think the Sixers would.  The 2017 draft looks quite strong especially at PG and SF.  I think the Lakers will regress and not make the playoffs but that's far from certain with all the bad teams out West.  I think Noel would be a good fit and would be fine paying him in the Mozgov/Biyambo range but wouldn't want to have pay him near the Adams range.  Covington would be a nice cheap addition to our bench. 

We'd be a more competitive team this year and could have two top 10 picks which would give us lots of possibilities.  We could take Markkanen or Giles and let Olynyk walk.  We could take one of the SFs to replace Brown or one of the PGs in anticipation of losing Thomas in free agency.  From a trade perspective, two top 10 picks is probably more valuable than the Nets pick and Brown.