Author Topic: Would you Celtic fans trade Jaylen Brown?  (Read 6999 times)

Would you Celtic fans trade Jaylen Brown?
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:39:58 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
So to start off I'm a firm believer in JB and literally love his game, but imagine if we did a trade like this:

Boston receives:
F/C Nerlens Noel
F Robert Covington
Lakers' 1st Round Pick

Philadelphia receives:
G/F Jaylen Brown
2nd Round Pick

We get even better in the post with Noel taking Johnson's spot and doing it so much better. Add a player in Covington that can not only stretch the floor for the bench, but give us so much more depth. We get a Lakers pick that could still potentially become a lottery pick in an especially deep draft.
We then extend Nerlens Noel and watch as him and Horford continue to grow as a pair. We then have at least one top 5 pick in next year's really deep draft and two picks that can add us players that could potentially become franchise cornerstones and for the time being give us solid bench minutes.
What say you guys?

Re: Would you Celtic fans trade Jaylen Brown?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Definitely not. The Lakers aren't all that bad. That's Noel + Cov + pick #14 for Brown, essentially. That's awful.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
So to start off I'm a firm believer in JB and literally love his game, but imagine if we did a trade like this:

Boston receives:
F/C Nerlens Noel
F Robert Covington
Lakers' 1st Round Pick

Philadelphia receives:
G/F Jaylen Brown
2nd Round Pick

We get even better in the post with Noel taking Johnson's spot and doing it so much better. Add a player in Covington that can not only stretch the floor for the bench, but give us so much more depth. We get a Lakers pick that could still potentially become a lottery pick in an especially deep draft.
We then extend Nerlens Noel and watch as him and Horford continue to grow as a pair. We then have at least one top 5 pick in next year's really deep draft and two picks that can add us players that could potentially become franchise cornerstones and for the time being give us solid bench minutes.
What say you guys?

this is just me, but i feel like the Lakers have a serious chance to get the 8 or 7 seed. so, that pick wouldnt be useful for us, since we want more clear cut top rookies, not middle of the pack players. i'd still rather keep jaylen, because i think that we can find other options that can replace Johnson too. they may not be as effective defensively as Noel, but i dont want to sacrifice the potential of Jaylen for Noel. I'd aim higher.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Probably not

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 09:46:22 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
no, give the memphis pick for him

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 09:46:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Boston receives:
F/C Nerlens Noel
F Robert Covington
Lakers' 1st Round Pick

Philadelphia receives:
G/F Jaylen Brown
2nd Round Pick

What say you guys?
Honestly, that's a pretty darn good offer.  I love Jaylen, but there's still a decent chance he's not going to amount to anything substantial.   That Laker pick can be special.  I don't follow College ball, but from what I understand this 2017 draft is significantly better/deeper than the 2016 draft that was basically seen as 2 players deep and thus far hasn't proven otherwise.  Even if the Lakers are better than anticipated, I can't see them really making the playoffs this early... and the #10 pick might be as good as the #3 pick in 2016.

Can't see Philly offering that, though.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 10:08:16 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 09:51:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no, Brown's going to be better than Covington before the end of the year and by the time the end of the season comes around, I suspect Brown will be considered a much better player than Noel.  the pick from LA doesn't look as promising as it did last year and the C's need to improve over the players they already have, not add more picks

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
It's too risky for Ainge.

Brown could be a top 10 player one day.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 10:08:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I want Noel, but you can't make this trade because Brown is the only player we have with Top 10 player potential.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I want Noel, but you can't make this trade because Brown is the only player we have with Top 10 player potential.
I'll let the unrealistic "top 10 player potential" thing slide, because I genuinely believe Jaylen can have a really bright future if he stays with this coach, system and surrounding talent.   If you put him in Philly, I think his ceiling would be significantly lower.  They'd be lucky if he turned into a poor man's Jeff Green.  Brown's theoretical potential is contingent on him going head-to-head against pros like Jae Crowder daily in practice and learning on the job in high-level well-coached team.   Stick him on a team like the Kings or something, he's got as much "top 10 player potential" as someone like Marquis Chriss.  And I think teams understand that... which is why it's extremely unlikely Philly would make this offer. 

And again, assuming that Laker pick will end up in the 4-10 range, there's a decent chance the prospect Boston would get in this hypothetical trade has more "Top 10 player potential" than Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 10:10:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No, I think that's a fair trade but wouldn't do it because it is too much of a lateral trade.

The Celtics don't need draft picks and prospects. We have many of those. The Cs need proven stars. Noel, Covington and the Lakers pick doesn't accomplish that goal.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I'll let the unrealistic "top 10 player potential" thing slide, because I genuinely believe Jaylen can have a really bright future if he stays with this coach, system and surrounding talent.   If you put him in Philly, I think his ceiling would be significantly lower.  They'd be lucky if he turned into a poor man's Jeff Green.  Brown's theoretical potential is contingent on him going head-to-head against pros like Jae Crowder daily in practice and learning on the job in high-level well-coached team.   Stick him on a team like the Kings or something, he's got as much "top 10 player potential" as someone like Marquis Chriss.  And I think teams understand that... which is why it's extremely unlikely Philly would make this offer. 

And again, assuming that Laker pick will end up in the 4-10 range, there's a decent chance the prospect Boston would get in this hypothetical trade has more "Top 10 player potential" than Jaylen Brown.

i think that's the sticking point of this whole deal. i'm among those who thinks the Lakers can make the playoffs this year. so you'd be getting a pick outside the lottery. another Terry Rozier or Yabusele.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think I'd do it

Gamble

Might pay off ...might not

It a fair deal

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Celtics learned that you don't trade your new rookie in the first year, Joe Johnson was a real kick to the nutz

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 10:41:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Only for a genuine 2-way allstar. The force is strong with that one.