Author Topic: So no one else sees what the actual problem is?  (Read 9481 times)

Re: So no one else sees what the actual problem is?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Defense and rebounding are the clear issues as others have stated.. but in terms of offense there are clear issues as well. From my point of view shot selection has been horrid.
We are living and dying by the 3, constantly passing around the outer perimeter and jacking 3 after 3. Even Amir Johnson feels the need to shoot them.
Run a real offense and take it down low once in a while.

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Talent

Far as the Trump comment, this is a Celtics Board, let's leave everyone's politics at home..

right, talent is certainly part of the issue. but you've gone on record as having been mad that Danny didnt get Blake, Aldridge, Durant, Howard, and others. so, not sure if i can take your word seriously on here.

Every player above has talent and where are they playing? Not Boston.

I'm tired of the why cant's and why not's from Ainge. If Free Agents do not want to sign here then don't waste resources trying.
The trade market over the years has been very active. Where has Ainge been?

Toronto, sound drafting, good trades and not afraid to draft Euro players.

Ainge has us all drinking the Kool-Aid

We just signed Horford. You can't pick and choose who counts and doesnt count. Who did you want Danny to trade for? Please give us some examples instead of spreading false propaganda.

Don't mock me with your B.S comments.
You know d@mn well Horford isn't a franchise player and is not the key to any playoff push.

Ainge had the money for Howard who is true C and controls the paint. What is the problem as constructed? No f##n interior Defense. If there was a free agent to sign howard was it, not the pipe dream Durant

Good teams trade picks for veteran talent.

obviously it's just one game. but. lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2016, 08:31:13 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
teams are sagging off us and giving us the three, and we are settling for the three ball.

in terms of offense there are clear issues as well. From my point of view shot selection has been horrid.
We are living and dying by the 3, constantly passing around the outer perimeter and jacking 3 after 3. Even Amir Johnson feels the need to shoot them.
Run a real offense and take it down low once in a while.

we have a cuppa winners. more specifically GS and Dallas did not respect any player on the C's drive to the basket, they were waiting for the pass.  anyone notice a lot of teams aren't really leaving our guys on the perimeter? Detroit didn't watch the film they respected the drives too much, more than most teams have been lately.

this has been an issue with this team forever. there is no real consistent threat at a drive to the basket all the way. at least beyond IT and Turner, and IT while impressive I think if a team wants to take him out of the equation they could and Turner is gone. other than that we have a bunch of guys that take a couple dribbles and pretend to go towards the basket but are actually looking to pass. now it seems teams are keying on this.

and to those who choose to believe this isn't an issue and it's our defense, you are correct and wrong, it's all connected. like I said Doc was right about there being a big difference between defending a team after you score vs defending a team after they've gotten a rebound. and we're having to defend teams after they've gotten a rebound a lot. and we know the story with the rebounding.

this could all be rectified by changing up our tendencies, force the subject a little more, stop coming out in the 1st qrtr. launching shots. drive to the basket!

the question is, are we not doing it because we don't have that in any player?

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Bradley is the worst passing guard in the NBA.

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
actually, no.

here, bradley is in a tie for 7th in assists for sg in the nba this season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/avgAssists/position/shooting-guards

may i suggest you do some research before posting statements such as this. it saves others from having to do the research to find what is accurate. thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
OP is gonna be disappointed. Brad's offense is all about keeping the ball moving and finding the open man. Having single minded drivers is against that basic philosophy. It's true that many drives seem aimed at pressuring the defense into creating an open shot, but that is by design.

The issue I see with shot selection is that sometimes the Celts try too hard to keep moving the ball instead of shooting. Then it usually falls on Isaiah to finish the possession.

Bigger than shot selection, I think, is winning the possession battle. The Celts need to force turnovers and hustle to get offensive boards to make up for their deficiencies on the defensive glass and their below average shotmaking.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
actually, no.

here, bradley is in a tie for 7th in assists for sg in the nba this season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/avgAssists/position/shooting-guards

may i suggest you do some research before posting statements such as this. it saves others from having to do the research to find what is accurate. thanks.

Check out his turnovers.

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
OP is gonna be disappointed. Brad's offense is all about keeping the ball moving and finding the open man. Having single minded drivers is against that basic philosophy. It's true that many drives seem aimed at pressuring the defense into creating an open shot, but that is by design.

The issue I see with shot selection is that sometimes the Celts try too hard to keep moving the ball instead of shooting. Then it usually falls on Isaiah to finish the possession.

Bigger than shot selection, I think, is winning the possession battle. The Celts need to force turnovers and hustle to get offensive boards to make up for their deficiencies on the defensive glass and their below average shotmaking.

so the problem is Brad Stevens then. they can pass the ball all they want but if it's ultimately ending in players taking contested jump shots(which it is) then that's a problem.

how many times do we see a player take 2 dribbles and either just pass the ball without a care of where it ends up or panic and throw the ball away because guys are waiting on the pass?

going by everything you just said he's not doing what a coach is supposed to do - putting the players in the best position to succeed.

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
While I can understand the frustration with how the first couple of weeks of the season have gone, I think it too soon for this team to start playing the blame game. I think last night might have been the first time Smart/Crowder/Horford were on the floor together. This team lacks chemistry and and identity at this point that will only come by repetition and getting everyone back healthy. If they are still a .500 team by the end of December and playing the same way then I think you have a legitimate gripe to complain. Personally, I'm giving them some lee way to see how they react over the next few weeks.

That being said, there are 2 areas of concern for me.

1. interior presence/rebounding. We have none. Horford will help correct some of this issues but he's probably the only solid big the C's have. They need help here.

2. Bench scoring. Turner has proven to be a big loss for this team so far. That 2nd unit has no leader or go to scorer. While Turner was a whipping boy for some here, he had great importance to this team. The 2nd unit right now is so listless and has no punch at the moment. Rozier has been a massive disappointment so far this season.

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673

Far as the Trump comment, this is a Celtics Board, let's leave everyone's politics at home..

Don't worry I went on a Trump message board to even things out. My post was:
Let's Make Celtics Great Again

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2016, 11:53:51 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Don't worry I went on a Trump message board to even things out. My post was:
Let's Make Celtics Great Again
YESSS!!

TP

And how about those crooked lakers! Check their emails!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
the problem is on the offensive end.
To the extent that our "go to" scorer is 5'-9" tall, yes, we have some weaknesses on the offensive end.  The offense looked much better with Horford and Crowder out there but still something less than a strength.  Last season we had issues finding scoring at key points in the game.  I think that will continue.

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
2. Bench scoring. Turner has proven to be a big loss for this team so far. That 2nd unit has no leader or go to scorer. While Turner was a whipping boy for some here, he had great importance to this team. The 2nd unit right now is so listless and has no punch at the moment. Rozier has been a massive disappointment so far this season.
[/quote]

You had 2 Bench players in the Starting line up..  Of course the bench Scoring is down..

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
hmm? kings certainly are jumping those passing lanes... I wonder why that is?

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Talent

right, talent is certainly part of the issue. but you've gone on record as having been mad that Danny didnt get Blake, Aldridge, Durant, Howard, and others. so, not sure if i can take your word seriously on here.

Every player above has talent and where are they playing? Not Boston.

I'm tired of the why cant's and why not's from Ainge. If Free Agents do not want to sign here then don't waste resources trying.
The trade market over the years has been very active. Where has Ainge been?

Toronto, sound drafting, good trades and not afraid to draft Euro players.

Ainge has us all drinking the Kool-Aid

We just signed Horford. You can't pick and choose who counts and doesnt count. Who did you want Danny to trade for? Please give us some examples instead of spreading false propaganda.

Don't mock me with your B.S comments.
You know d@mn well Horford isn't a franchise player and is not the key to any playoff push.

Ainge had the money for Howard who is true C and controls the paint. What is the problem as constructed? No f##n interior Defense. If there was a free agent to sign howard was it, not the pipe dream Durant

Good teams trade picks for veteran talent.

I'm not mocking you at all. You're the one with the BS comments. Not me. I'm speaking completely logical and with sense.

Horford isn't a franchise player. Sure. But Howard? Howard is a franchise player now? LOL. The same 31 year old injury plagued Dwight Howard?? Give me a break.

Horford is an excellent fit for this team. He makes everyone better. He's a true veteran talent. Dwight is nothing but a crybaby. Like you.

Btw, you have yet to list any veteran talent Danny should have traded picks for. So, again, another BS comment from you bono.

Do me a favor, go help Clinton recount votes in Idaho...

Don't sugar coat it. Call it like it is, purgatory!