Author Topic: Honeymoon over for Brad?  (Read 7855 times)

Re: Honeymoon over for Brad?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Bump........

So who is IT upset with? Brad? teammates? or Danny?

Who is the face of the Celtics? IT, Horoford, or Crowder?

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 12:11:09 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Bump........

While I hesitate to say that the "honeymoon" is over for Brad, he definitely does deserve more criticism than he gets. He has always had very questionable rotations, and there are games like last night where seemingly simple decisions, e.g. hacking Drummond in the fourth to stop their onslaught, are just not made.

There's also a legitimate possibility that his passiveness and lack of discipline/holding players accountable due to his meek nature is a reason why our current Celtics team feels a bit entitled at times. I think a sterner coach like Pop, or even Doc, would've put that ish to bed by now.

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I just hate that he gives bad shooters(Smart) the green light to take basically any look they get.

Most of the other stuff I can get around and don't even notice, but he definitely needs to start pulling guys to the side and saying "Hey! that's not your shot." or "Find a better shot".

No reason Marcus Smart should be taking 5 3-pointers a game.

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 09:37:09 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Celtics problems can be boiled down to one thing, size. They're just too [dang] undersized at nearly every position. This gets exacerbated when they play Horford at center.

You need length to defend at a consistently high level, effort and intelligence will only get you so far if you lack the physical size to matchup with opponents.

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
does management start making demands? Do the fans and sports media turn on him? Does he bail for college if the heat turns up.

How should Celtics management handle this. Cuddle him so he does not bail to college, or [dang] the consequences and start demanding more production.

Does the over achiever leave us while under contract.   You don't know the same coach as I do I guess.   
Diggles

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I still love Brad and think he is an excellent coach but he does have his flaws. I gave him the benefit of the doubt early in the season due to the injury of Crowder and Horford and half a Smart.

BUT

here is what i have problems with this season

1. defense and rebounding still needs to get better. Our defense is improving since horford and crowder came back but still our rebounding MUST get better in the time being since we cannot trade or sign one for now. When Bradley is your best rebounder, that is a problem
2. Smart is underutilized on the offense and he must step in to make him stop bombing 3s, i would love to see more pick and roll plays for Smart, but i do agree with some of the people here that he already lets IT4 and Horford do whatever they please, they don't need a 3rd, Smart plays well within the system and does whatever the coach needs him to do.
3. Luckily for us, Jerebko is playing well, but unlucky for Brown he is not seeing any minutes increase. Not sure if this is really a flaw of Brad but I am just venting a little lol

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics problems can be boiled down to one thing, size. They're just too [dang] undersized at nearly every position. This gets exacerbated when they play Horford at center.

You need length to defend at a consistently high level, effort and intelligence will only get you so far if you lack the physical size to matchup with opponents.
I dont think size is as bad a reason for their record as poor defensive effort and early injuries have been. Between Horford's, Crowder's, Olynyk's, and Smart's games missed they have lost about 30 player games to their top 7 players. That is a lot.

Regarding defensive effort, it just isn't there. Bradley, Johnson and Crowder are the main culprits. They need to give more than they have. Brown, Olynyk, Zeller, and IT are just below average to bad defenders(though Brown could be good once he doesnt look like a deer in the headlights). Stevens has to start getting this team playing D like they did last year.

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

I dont think size is as bad a reason for their record as poor defensive effort and early injuries have been. Between Horford's, Crowder's, Olynyk's, and Smart's games missed they have lost about 30 player games to their top 7 players. That is a lot.

Regarding defensive effort, it just isn't there. Bradley, Johnson and Crowder are the main culprits. They need to give more than they have. Brown, Olynyk, Zeller, and IT are just below average to bad defenders(though Brown could be good once he doesnt look like a deer in the headlights). Stevens has to start getting this team playing D like they did last year.
Youre right about Crowder. He was one of the best in your face defenders last year. It's the reason ESPN ranked him close to top 50 this year. If he doesn't bring his defense back up I think he will slide back down to top 100.

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Too soon to tell because of the early season injuries, but that Pistons game last night at home with all the starters was a real stinker. Even the fans could see the holes.

You could say Stevens doesn't pick the players, but actually he does--the roster is determined by Stevens, Ainge and Wyc jointly.

I would say they have to improve over last year, or the media will start asking questions.

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Too soon to tell because of the early season injuries, but that Pistons game last night at home with all the starters was a real stinker. Even the fans could see the holes.

You could say Stevens doesn't pick the players, but actually he does--the roster is determined by Stevens, Ainge and Wyc jointly.

I would say they have to improve over last year, or the media will start asking questions.

Agree. But there's still so much time left. We started off 19-19 last year and ended with 48 wins. I think we will figure it out soon and we'll do better than last season, both in the regular season and in the playoffs
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Youre right about Crowder. He was one of the best in your face defenders last year. It's the reason ESPN ranked him close to top 50 this year. If he doesn't bring his defense back up I think he will slide back down to top 100.

I hate defensive statistics, because it's almost impossible to truly isolate a player's defensive impact from a larger context. However, both Horford and Smart are top-5 in DRPM for their position (unsurprisingly), but even Crowder is top-8 for small forwards in DRPM.

That being said, the eye test certainly agrees with this assessment of Nick's above. It seems the defensive intensity and efficiency just hasn't been there with Bradley, Crowder, and Amir in particular, along with the others he mentioned just being subpar defenders.

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2016, 07:02:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I suspect he is "gathering data" so far this season and the rotation will settle down. It seems to be what he does.

This is the first time he goes into a season with expections though. That might be the end of the honeymoon right there.

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2016, 08:59:43 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Bump........

While I hesitate to say that the "honeymoon" is over for Brad, he definitely does deserve more criticism than he gets. He has always had very questionable rotations, and there are games like last night where seemingly simple decisions, e.g. hacking Drummond in the fourth to stop their onslaught, are just not made.

Agree. TP

I dont like to dismiss him as overrated, because I think his reputation as a coach is deserved and well earned. But he does occasionally make questionable decisions....which explains why IT called him out a couple of weeks ago

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
probably time to bump this thread.....

I see a lot of criticism of Brad this season.

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
The only person that should be on the hot seat is Danny for giving Brad such a weak roster. No rebounding, no depth, and besides Bradley and IT average shooters. He's had 4 years and probably close to 10-12 picks to hit on true NBA starters/players that fit the system and hasn't done it. He's had the chance to grab Jimmy Butler and he didn't do it.

You want to crucify someone it should be Danny Ainge
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:31:22 PM by alewilliam789 »