Author Topic: Markelle Fultz Thread (Merged)  (Read 78650 times)

Re: Markelle Fultz Thread (Merged)
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2017, 02:36:10 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
You're wrong.
There's no way jackson gets better at shooting. Even if he does, tatums shooting is already years advanced ahead of jackson even as Tatum is younger

Look at kevin durant. He couldn't do 1 rep at the camp For 180 lbs as a rookie. 
http://www.espn.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2894925
According to the Times, Durant was the only prospect at camp who failed to bench press 185 pounds, and finished behind Oden in some key drills, including the vertical leap, agility drill and three-quarter court sprint.
Oden jumped 34 inches in the vertical leap while Durant jumped 33½ inches, completed the agility drill in 11.67 seconds to Durant's 12.33 seconds, and finished the three-quarter court sprint in 3.27 seconds, ahead of Durant's 3.45 seconds, according to the report.

Now Durant is very strong and fast.
Meanwhile, the list of bad shooters who stay as bad shooters is longer than those who became good.shooters.
strength can absolutely be improved, but I think a player is far more likely to fix their jumper than they are substantially improve their quickness or explosiveness.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2017, 04:39:59 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
You're wrong.
There's no way jackson gets better at shooting. Even if he does, tatums shooting is already years advanced ahead of jackson even as Tatum is younger

Look at kevin durant. He couldn't do 1 rep at the camp For 180 lbs as a rookie. 
http://www.espn.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2894925
According to the Times, Durant was the only prospect at camp who failed to bench press 185 pounds, and finished behind Oden in some key drills, including the vertical leap, agility drill and three-quarter court sprint.
Oden jumped 34 inches in the vertical leap while Durant jumped 33½ inches, completed the agility drill in 11.67 seconds to Durant's 12.33 seconds, and finished the three-quarter court sprint in 3.27 seconds, ahead of Durant's 3.45 seconds, according to the report.

Now Durant is very strong and fast.
Meanwhile, the list of bad shooters who stay as bad shooters is longer than those who became good.shooters.
strength can absolutely be improved, but I think a player is far more likely to fix their jumper than they are substantially improve their quickness or explosiveness.
Fair enough. In the end, the draft is just another gamble where luck is involved in the process of who is a star and who isnt

« Reply #227 on: April 04, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I feel like the thing that is underestimated about Fultz is that wingspan.   With that 6'10 wingspan it is really, really hard to bother his shot.  He can shoot those jumpers at will.  And he is so crafty and good at creating space that it's almost an impossibility to bother his shot.

He may not have Wall-level athleticism, but he appears to have Harden-level athleticism.  The ability to change gears, the elusiveness and handle to create his own shot.  That will drive defense nuts more than just straight line speed.

And to top that all off, his passing is incredible.  Because the defense must respect his shot and his ability to dribble to create his shot, it becomes even more devastating when he passes it to the open man.  You know the way Horford has made our shooters even more efficient with his great passing as a big man?  Add Fultz to the equation and we might just "break the game".  It's the TILT sign on the pinball machine.  It would be a LOT of fun to watch Fultz added to this offense and see how Stevens could utilize him.

Defensively he has the tools to deny and bother opposing guards.  6'10 wingspan, high steal and block rate for his position.  Just needs to learn how to lockdown and he would have able mentors to go against every day in practice in Bradley and Smart.

I gotta say, even if Guard isn't a need, if we land the #1 pick, we have to pick Fultz.  He's the definition of mismatch.  And in a world where shooters are favored, he could have a Curry-like or Harden-like impact for our team!

« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I feel like the thing that is underestimated about Fultz is that wingspan.   With that 6'10 wingspan it is really, really hard to bother his shot.  He can shoot those jumpers at will.  And he is so crafty and good at creating space that it's almost an impossibility to bother his shot.

He may not have Wall-level athleticism, but he appears to have Harden-level athleticism.  The ability to change gears, the elusiveness and handle to create his own shot.  That will drive defense nuts more than just straight line speed.

And to top that all off, his passing is incredible.  Because the defense must respect his shot and his ability to dribble to create his shot, it becomes even more devastating when he passes it to the open man.  You know the way Horford has made our shooters even more efficient with his great passing as a big man?  Add Fultz to the equation and we might just "break the game".  It's the TILT sign on the pinball machine.  It would be a LOT of fun to watch Fultz added to this offense and see how Stevens could utilize him.

Defensively he has the tools to deny and bother opposing guards.  6'10 wingspan, high steal and block rate for his position.  Just needs to learn how to lockdown and he would have able mentors to go against every day in practice in Bradley and Smart.

I gotta say, even if Guard isn't a need, if we land the #1 pick, we have to pick Fultz.  He's the definition of mismatch.  And in a world where shooters are favored, he could have a Curry-like or Harden-like impact for our team!
TP on the wingspan. Also, he has a 8'6''-8'7'' standing reach; which for a pg(or even sg) is insane  and will help him get his jumper off over other players.

As far as pg's go Fultz is the longest and most talented I have seen come into the draft. His length should make him a terror defensively.

« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love when draftniks get sooooo much into the measurables on players and forget that these players actually have to play the game. IT has horrible measurables. AB does too. KO's aren't much better. But all three, all these years later are measured by talent and production. Maybe we should put more stock in ability to play the game and less in measurables? Does Fultz or any prospect have the talent to make the most of his body?  Thats the question we should be asking and stop drooling over measurables.

« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I love when draftniks get sooooo much into the measurables on players and forget that these players actually have to play the game. IT has horrible measurables. AB does too. KO's aren't much better. But all three, all these years later are measured by talent and production. Maybe we should put more stock in ability to play the game and less in measurables? Does Fultz or any prospect have the talent to make the most of his body?  Thats the question we should be asking and stop drooling over measurables.

Tp, Exactly.

Which is why Ball is overlooked by too many here.

The guy is a winner with classic intangibles.

People think Fox dominated him TWICE. They're wrong.

That first game when UCLA went into Rupp, Fox dominated the first 10 minutes. After that, Ball LED his team back to beat KY in Lexington, highlighted by a fadeaway 3 to end the first half.

No easy feat beating 'Cats at home. Ball did it.

« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Fultz has an NBA body already.

« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

I'd say he is the only player in the draft who is already physically NBA ready and has NBA ready skills. Tatum is close behind, but Ball is too frail and Jackson is too raw.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #233 on: May 07, 2017, 05:21:49 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Wow. He looks ripped.

I think he has all the tools both physically and as far as basketball skills.

I hope we are fortunate enough to draft him.

« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Everyone looks hacked immediately after lifting.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
You don't have to be a Russell Westbrook or John Wall type of explosive athlete to be elite. James Harden may very well be the MVP and that's who Fultz gets compared to most out of any current player. Though I think he's clearly more athletic than some people in here are giving him credit for.

I would call Fultz an elite athlete.

He's fast and has elite body control.

Has bounce of one or two feet which many players can't do both.

Also changes speed at an elite level which most agree is far more important than just speed.

« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I'd say he is the only player in the draft who is already physically NBA ready and has NBA ready skills. Tatum is close behind, but Ball is too frail and Jackson is too raw.

I don't like Ball, I do not want Ball, but what is written about him here was written years ago about another ucla player. That player is in the Basketball Hall of Fame today.

« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I don't like Ball, I do not want Ball, but what is written about him here was written years ago about another ucla player. That player is in the Basketball Hall of Fame today.

Reggie Miller?
#JKJB

« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pretty crazy that in 8 days the lottery happens

« Reply #239 on: May 10, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
not that this is important, but it is news.

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress 14m14 minutes ago
Source: The Boston Celtics front office will be interviewing projected #1 pick Markelle Fultz this evening at the NBA Combine.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva