Author Topic: Markelle Fultz Thread (Merged)  (Read 78633 times)

Re: Fultz is destroying College basketball
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If Fultz is so great though, why doesn't his team do better overall? I have to be somewhat wary of a player on a mediocre team

I agree but it did not stop Ben Simmons from going one.
I think a large part of that can be atrributed to the fact that Brandon Ingram was the only other really good prospect.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2017, 07:25:33 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would love Fultz and think he is the only player in the top 4 that really would fit in on this team, but I really doubt he will be better than Avery is playing this year.  This would be a short term step back that would be worth it in the long run.  Avery is averaging 18 points, is our best rebounder even though he is 6'2" and is a very good defensive player.  I am happy though to lose a few extra games if it means we get a cornerstone piece like Fultz.  Ball, Tatum and Jackson are all fine players - I probably like Tatum the best for us - but Fultz would be just such a natural fit.

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would love Fultz and think he is the only player in the top 4 that really would fit in on this team, but I really doubt he will be better than Avery is playing this year.  This would be a short term step back that would be worth it in the long run.  Avery is averaging 18 points, is our best rebounder even though he is 6'2" and is a very good defensive player.  I am happy though to lose a few extra games if it means we get a cornerstone piece like Fultz.  Ball, Tatum and Jackson are all fine players - I probably like Tatum the best for us - but Fultz would be just such a natural fit.

It's more about Fultz Year 2 vs Avery.  There will be plenty of minutes for Fultz to spend his first year as the fourth guard in the rotation, which would presumably be an upgrade over Rozier and Green.  Then if Bradley leaves in free agency Fultz can increase his role.

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Lol what took you guys so long.

Fultz is better.... been telling yall this from the git.Glad yall woke up to this fact.

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Unfortunately for Fultz it doesnt look like his team will qualify for the MM tourney

Cant understand his school of choice
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:52:12 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
If Fultz is so great though, why doesn't his team do better overall? I have to be somewhat wary of a player on a mediocre team

It didn't stop Shaquille O'Neal either.  But then there was also Anthony Bennett. 

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

It didn't stop Shaquille O'Neal either.  But then there was also Anthony Bennett.
Historically bad draft. cleveland was grasping at straws with the Bennett pick Fultz and Simmons are miles better prospects.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Like Simmons, Fultz is hampered by mediocre talented teammates and lousy coaching.  In the Gonzaga/Washington game early in the season, the coach just let them get slaughtered at the beginning of the game.  Didn't call a timeout until after Gonzaga had a 20 point lead.  Didn't adjust their defense even though Gonzaga was able to get to the rim at will.

What about mediocre talent that surrounded Durant, Wade, Duncan in college ball ?.

to me these guys are true Tier 1 franchise calibre prospects....

Fultz is a nice talent but I have him in the same category as Bradley Beal... Still a nice player

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Like Simmons, Fultz is hampered by mediocre talented teammates and lousy coaching.  In the Gonzaga/Washington game early in the season, the coach just let them get slaughtered at the beginning of the game.  Didn't call a timeout until after Gonzaga had a 20 point lead.  Didn't adjust their defense even though Gonzaga was able to get to the rim at will.

What about mediocre talent that surrounded Durant, Wade, Duncan in college ball ?.

Fultz is a nice talent but I have him in the same category as Bradley Beal... Still a nice player

Durant had DJ Augustin, who's far better than anyone on Washington.  Wade's sophomore year (he was academically ineligible as a freshman) Marquette team had three seniors in the top 7 of the rotation, whereas Washington only has one senior on the roster.  And comparing Wade as a junior to Fultz as a freshman is not a fair comparison.

Finally, comparing any freshman in this era to upperclassmen in the 90s is absurd.  Most top players stayed 2-3 years, so teams were all older, more stable from year-to-year, and rarely relied on freshman contributions.

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I tend to agree. I think that guys like Harden and Lillard are Fultz's upside, and Beal is probably more realistic. I know that Celtics fans really want the next two drafts to produce the next great basketball players, but a tempered approach is prob. more realistic. Though I'd be psyched if the Celtics pick the next MVP, I'm not expecting a star.

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I tend to agree. I think that guys like Harden and Lillard are Fultz's upside, and Beal is probably more realistic. I know that Celtics fans really want the next two drafts to produce the next great basketball players, but a tempered approach is prob. more realistic. Though I'd be psyched if the Celtics pick the next MVP, I'm not expecting a star.

Agree

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2017, 10:49:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Agree
If we get a top 3 pick in this draft it is completely reasonable to expect a star. Just like if we'd gotten one in the Kevin Durant and Andrew Wiggins drafts. That said, Bradley Beal, when healthy, is a star

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The more I watch of Fultz, I've realized that he does have superstar, franchise level player potential. Only yesterday I was questioning his hype and didn't see his franchise potential.
After having a day off sick and watching his games and highlghts, I've changed my mind.

He has 'it' that the guys like Westbrook, Harden and Curry all have. Just puts the ball in the hoop in ways that 95% of other NBA players would never dream of.

He's going to come in and kill it pretty much from day 1.

Just a completely dominating scorer and playmaker. Size, enough athleticism to let his instincts and anticipatory senses get him over the 'superstar' line.

God It would be amazing to have this kid play next to Isaiah Thomas off the ball.

I haven't seen a guard dominate with the ball in his hands like this since Kyrie.
This guy is freakin amazing.
He isn't even trying on a lot of this stuff because it comes so easily to him.

To see a guy who is this crafty and long, who has the ball on a string whilst being able to get into the paint AND shoot from three is extremely rare.

I can't remember ever seeing a college player dominate in the pick and roll like this since Chris Paul- he is unstoppable in the pick and roll with his handles, length and range.

God what could he be doing in 5 years time in the NBA?

Exactly, he's like a Paul with Westbrook athletism. That's a hell of a potential there. Not to mention he already looks ready for nba. I can't remember seeing a prospect so much a sure thing than Fultz. Ball is great too, but there is a tiny chance he can be a bust. I don't see that in Fultz.
I hope we get #1. We miss on Duncan, Durant, hopefully we get Fultz.

c'mon
to be fair, he didn't specify that it was russell he was talking about

Lol. TP.

I think he's like westbrook in the way he contorts his body mid air.
What he lacks in athleticism he had made up for with craftyness ala Paul Pierce and CP3/Steph Curry.

Dude is like swiss army knife on offense.

And yeah his team sucks because when he committed in 15' they had Chriss and Dejounte Murray who werent expected to declare last year.
Coach is awful too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Markelle Fultz is a rich man's Evan Turner
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2017, 06:52:11 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPs8kcGDQJ_/

Jonathan Givony of Draftexpress just posted this video of all the ways Markelle Fultz can score in the halfcourt. Of course it's impossible to say for certain that he'd be able to replicate this at the NBA level, it does show that Fultz has arsenal of shots to work with that wouldn't be easy to predict and the athleticism to attack the holes in the defense.,

For those concerned about adding a rookie guard to this team next year, in the short term couldn't you easily picture Fultz sliding seamlessly into the vacant Evan Turner 6th man shot creator off the bench role? It was shot creation that carried the offense for stretches and unlike ET, Fultz would play it with above the rim hops and deep three point range.

All in on this kid, Fultz or bust. Here's hoping the Old Gods are with the King in the 4th and bring us the Young Wolf on draft day. 8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:01:50 AM by Smartacus »

Re: Markelle Fultz is a rich man's Evan Turner
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPs8kcGDQJ_/

Jonathan Givony of Draftexpress just posted this video of all the ways Markelle Fultz can score in the halfcourt. Of course it's impossible to say for certain that he'd be able to replicate this at the NBA level, it does show that Fultz has arsenal of shots to work with that wouldn't be easy to predict and the athleticism to attack the holes in the defense.,

For those concerned about adding a rookie guard to this team next year, in the short term couldn't you easily picture Fultz sliding seamlessly into the vacant Evan Turner 6th man shot creator off the bench role? It was shot creation that carried the offense for stretches and unlike ET, Fultz would play it with above the rim hops and deep three point range.

All in on this kid, Fultz or bust. Here's hoping the Old Gods are with the King in the 4th and bring us the Young Wolf on draft day. 8)

No brainer he goes #1, he looks like the only NBA player in college so far.

I feel like a rich man's Evan Turner is selling him short. He's more like a properly sized Isaiah Thomas.