Author Topic: Markelle Fultz Thread (Merged)  (Read 78958 times)

Re: Markelle Fultz Thread (Merged)
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

my irrational fear is that we land #3 and take lonzo ball. not that he is a not a good player- i was just looking for the blue chip offensive talent that our team could use. I think we have enough 2 way rounded players (Crowder, Bradley, eventually Brown). I want a scorer to couple with IT, and I think Fultz has a greater chance to score 25ppg in the NBA than the others. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Ball becomes a slightly better version of Rubio.

I have the same fear about Ball

Have seen very little from him in ability to drive and finish at the basket in the halfcourt

Yeah, we already have Smart for that. I'm confident that whatever happens on summer of 2017, we will walk away with a very good player.

We don't need more offensively inept players though, this is what leads to everyone playing hot potato with IT. That man needs someone to come in and save him from having to take so much punishment. I rather Josh Jackson or even Dennis Smith before taking the gamble on Ball. The way his team plays seems too miraculous sometimes.

« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
my irrational fear is that we land #3 and take lonzo ball. not that he is a not a good player- i was just looking for the blue chip offensive talent that our team could use. I think we have enough 2 way rounded players (Crowder, Bradley, eventually Brown). I want a scorer to couple with IT, and I think Fultz has a greater chance to score 25ppg in the NBA than the others. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Ball becomes a slightly better version of Rubio.

Have seen very little from him in ability to drive and finish at the basket in the halfcourt

Trifboy, I'm warming up to Jackson...I have Fultz in a tier by himself, but I think Jackson is my #2 now. I'm worried about Ball's release and lack of athleticism. He's great on fastbreaks, but not sure how effective he would be as a PG in a halfcourt set.

The great thing about Jackson is that he has been improving throughout the year. You can see it. My main concern is that he is an older prospect for a freshman. Fultz is basically a full year and a half younger.

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2017, 02:14:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Trifboy, I'm warming up to Jackson...I have Fultz in a tier by himself, but I think Jackson is my #2 now. I'm worried about Ball's release and lack of athleticism. He's great on fastbreaks, but not sure how effective he would be as a PG in a halfcourt set.

The great thing about Jackson is that he has been improving throughout the year. You can see it. My main concern is that he is an older prospect for a freshman. Fultz is basically a full year and a half younger.

Both are solid prospects

And I think the third guy in the picture is Dennis Smith Jr. ... Short wingspan but is the kind of athlete/scorer Ainge/Cbs likes

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I love Fultz, but we need to cool our jets. Even if the Nets end up with the worst record in the league, the most likely spot for us to draft is 4th. Projecting Fultz to the C's at this early juncture is a recipe to be let down.

4th?? Lol

Not too likely

You've been on this board for how long now, and you still say things like this. I don't get it.

What is it that you dont get.... He stated -

Even if the Nets end up with the worst record in the league, the most likely spot for us to draft is 4th

Does this sound statistically plausible to you?

It's not "statistically plausible" - it is the absolute truth. With the best lottery slot we would have a 36% chance at #4, which is higher than the odds of #1 (25%), #2 (21.5%), or #3 (18%).

This has been covered in dozens or perhaps hundreds of threads over the last few years.

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I love Fultz, but we need to cool our jets. Even if the Nets end up with the worst record in the league, the most likely spot for us to draft is 4th. Projecting Fultz to the C's at this early juncture is a recipe to be let down.

4th?? Lol

Not too likely

You've been on this board for how long now, and you still say things like this. I don't get it.

Even if the Nets end up with the worst record in the league, the most likely spot for us to draft is 4th

It's not "statistically plausible" - it is the absolute truth. With the best lottery slot we would have a 36% chance at #4, which is higher than the odds of #1 (25%), #2 (21.5%), or #3 (18%).

This has been covered in dozens or perhaps hundreds of threads over the last few years.

There have since been two remarks that point out why it is misleading to say it is most likely we will land at number 4, since is more likely we will land somewhere better than 4.  Now 3.

« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

4th?? Lol

Not too likely

4th is the most likely, but to put it that way is misleading since we have a much better chance of landing 1, 2 or 3, taken as a whole, than 4.

« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
soooo what are the ripple effects of drafting Fultz? I'm thinking this current squad of guys might not like the move too much...  could be a negative environment for him to come into as a rookie but in turn it could make Fultz a scary good player if the locker room politics forces him to shut everybody up with his play.

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
soooo what are the ripple effects of drafting Fultz? I'm thinking this current squad of guys might not like the move too much...  could be a negative environment for him to come into as a rookie but in turn it could make Fultz a scary good player if the locker room politics forces him to shut everybody up with his play.

Not at all. Fits in perfect imo and immediately takes Rozier's minutes, & might cut Smart's depending how he plays out of the box.

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Not at all. Fits in perfect imo and immediately takes Rozier's minutes, & might cut Smart's depending how he plays out of the box.

With the Celtics' spacing as opposed to the Washington Huskies' spacing, this kid is going to be a real problem when he'll have much more room to get shots off, especially sharing the floor with IT. I think the NBA allowing us to get the #1 pick could put Ainge in a bind with the key players on this team, guys on the squad probably are expecting Ainge to deal the pick for Cousins or somebody. I don't think they are expecting the help to come in the form of a rookie, maybe if he makes a minor trade for another starter(Vucevic) or in FA and then drafts Fultz it could end up looking like Danny is just playing both lanes like he's been doing so far.

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Don't know if someone mentioned this before but after watching Fultz play he reminded me of CJ McCollum. He is a scorer with the abillity to play PG but more of a SG. I think best comparison for Fultz is McCollum

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Don't know if someone mentioned this before but after watching Fultz play he reminded me of CJ McCollum. He is a scorer with the abillity to play PG but more of a SG. I think best comparison for Fultz is McCollum

Fultz appears to be a much better playmaker, averaging almost 3 times as many assists per minute as McCollum.

Fultz' athletic profile is far superior as well, as evidenced by the block numbers (0.3 vs 1.5 per 40), and measurables (6'3" and 6'6" wingspan vs. 6'4 and 6'9" wingspan).

I don't get the comp.

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Exactly or Beal or a combination. Randy Foye also comes to mind (the one or two good season version)

Big game vs Ball and UCLA tomorrow

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

Fultz appears to be a much better playmaker, averaging almost 3 times as many assists per minute as McCollum.

Fultz' athletic profile is far superior as well, as evidenced by the block numbers (0.3 vs 1.5 per 40), and measurables (6'3" and 6'6" wingspan vs. 6'4 and 6'9" wingspan).

I don't get the comp.

I was talking about their style of play and not about their physical similarities. The way they shoot, the way they drive to the rim, the way they score... I saw similarities there. Maybe with 6'4 Fultz should play the PG position but he has all the tools to be great shooting guard or combo guard.

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I don't get the comp.

I was talking about their style of play and not about their physical similarities. The way they shoot, the way they drive to the rim, the way they score... I saw similarities there. Maybe with 6'4 Fultz should play the PG position but he has all the tools to be great shooting guard or combo guard.

I think that is what is valuable about Fultz.

He has the offensive game (scoring wise I mean) similar to a CJ McCollum or Bradley Beal but ... unlike those two, Fultz is able to play the PG position. Both in terms of running the offense but also in terms of being able to defend and rebound their position (both McCollum and Beal are below average defender / rebounders).

That ability to play PG (offensively, defensively and rebounding wise) is what makes Fultz so much more valuable than either of those players.

It allows teams to maintain defensive integrity and quality rebounding. To field teams with physical size and length on the perimeter.

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2017, 03:44:10 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

I don't get the comp.

He's interchangeable, which is what I think Stevens would like of having a guy that can be plugged in at both guard spots as opposed to our current players that are either tied to the 1(Smart, IT4) or the 2(AB, Rozier), essentially by their own limitations.