Author Topic: Sac-Brk-Bos Trade Idea  (Read 3615 times)

Sac-Brk-Bos Trade Idea
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:19:03 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
At the risk of getting flayed by the merciless Celticblog forum.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zvygc2b

Boston gets: Cousins, Bogdonavic
Nets get: Gay, Johnson, rights to swap pick with Celtics in 2017
Kings get: Lopez, Bradley, Brk 2018 pick

Boston gets Cousins while only giving up Johnson, Bradley, and the Brk picks. They keep Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Olynyk to go with the core of Crowder, Cousins, Horford, and Thomas. This team can compete this year and the next few years against the Cavs. Obviously Cousins fits a huge need as a scoring option at PF, and he fits perfectly next to Horford. I really like Bogdan too. I think in Stevens' offense, Bogdon could be our starting shooting guard, or our 6th man scoring punch.

The Kings don't want a complete rebuild. They want to compete. Lopez and Bradley are two fringe all-stars who fit into Joeger's defense-first, grinding-offense style. This gives them value for Gay and finally fills their shooting guard hole, while also filling 75% of Cousins scoring. At the same time, they get a 2018 Nets pick that is probably a lottery pick to help their rebuild. Their core going forward is Bradley-Lopez-WCS, with replaceable veterans. I think they would be just as competitive with Bradley and Lopez as they are with Cousins and Gay, but this resolves the Cousins situation, gets value for Gay, and gives them a future lottery pick.

The Nets have Lopez on minute restriction, and it seems like they have been testing the water to trade him for a while, Gay and Johnson are both veteran players on expiring contracts that allow them to compete this year while giving them flexibility into next off-season. The prize of this trade is that they get their 2017 pick swap back, which jumpstarts their rebuild in a deep class. Their roster is still bereft of talent, but this gives them more opportunities to get talent.

edit: I answer this later in the thread, but if you are wondering why we give up a 2017 Nets pick for Lopez, the answer is that in this 3 team trade, we aren't giving it up for Lopez; we are giving it up for Cousins ultimately.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:47:05 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Re: Sac-Brk-Bos Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Boston gets Cousins while only giving up Johnson, Bradley, and the Brk picks. They keep Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Olynyk to go with the core of Crowder, Cousins, Horford, and Thomas. This team can compete this year and the next few years against the Cavs. Obviously Cousins fits a huge need as a scoring option at PF, and he fits perfectly next to Horford. I really like Bogdan too. I think in Stevens' offense, Bogdon could be our starting shooting guard, or our 6th man scoring punch.

The Kings don't want a complete rebuild. They want to compete. Lopez and Bradley are two fringe all-stars who fit into Joeger's defense-first, grinding-offense style. This gives them value for Gay and finally fills their shooting guard hole, while also filling 75% of Cousins scoring. At the same time, they get a 2018 Nets pick that is probably a lottery pick to help their rebuild. Their core going forward is Bradley-Lopez-WCS, with replaceable veterans. I think they would be just as competitive with Bradley and Lopez as they are with Cousins and Gay, but this resolves the Cousins situation, gets value for Gay, and gives them a future lottery pick.

The Nets have Lopez on minute restriction, and it seems like they have been testing the water to trade him for a while, Gay and Johnson are both veteran players on expiring contracts that allow them to compete this year while giving them flexibility into next off-season. The prize of this trade is that they get their 2017 pick swap back, which jumpstarts their rebuild in a deep class. Their roster is still bereft of talent, but this gives them more opportunities to get talent.
I like the idea of it, but I don't think there is anyway Lopez is worth the pick swap with the Nets this year. He's not going to garner a pick that good from any other team, so i don't see the C's paying that price.

Replace the 2017 pick swap with the future Memphis pick and I think the deal makes sense for all sides.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Why are the Nets getting so much?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:25:12 AM »

• Paul Silas

I like the idea of it, but I don't think there is anyway Lopez is worth the pick swap with the Nets this year. He's not going to garner a pick that good from any other team, so i don't see the C's paying that price.

Replace the 2017 pick swap with the future Memphis pick and I think the deal makes sense for all sides.

Good thought. Here's the thing. The question isn't whether or not Lopez is worth the pick swap. The question is whether or not Cousins is, because that is who we are getting in the trade.

I wouldn't give the pick to the Nets for Lopez just to get Lopez. However, if the Kings want a scoring big to replace Cousins instead of the Nets swap, then he is worth it to get Cousins.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:34:42 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »

• Paul Silas
I will take the silence on this forum to mean this was a good trade idea. :) Otherwise, this would be 5 pages long by now.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Good thought. Here's the thing. The question isn't whether or not Lopez is worth the pick swap. The question is whether or not Cousins is, because that is who we are getting in the trade.

I wouldn't give the pick to the Nets for Lopez just to get Lopez. However, if the Kings want a scoring big to replace Cousins instead of the Nets swap, then he is worth it to get Cousins.
If your argument is that the second Nets pick is the cost of Cousins, then the 2nd Nets pick should go to Sacramento and Lopez should stay in Brooklyn.

Lopez for Gay and Johnson is pretty close to fair, that Brooklyn would get their pick swap, Gay and Johnson for Lopez is wildly over valuing Lopez. If a team was willing to pay that for Lopez then he would have already been traded.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »

• Paul Silas
Evantime - Different teams value players in different ways. If, as I've heard, the Kings don't want to go into full rebuild, then the Brooklyn picks, while enticing, may not be what they are looking for.

I'm not an expert, but I'm chasing the idea that the Kings would be more likely to trade Cousins if they got two starters/fringe all-stars (one of whom could replace Cousins). If that's what they want, then I give the Brooklyn pick to that third team in a heartbeat.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Evantime - Different teams value players in different ways. If, as I've heard, the Kings don't want to go into full rebuild, then the Brooklyn picks, while enticing, may not be what they are looking for.

I'm not an expert, but I'm chasing the idea that the Kings would be more likely to trade Cousins if they got two starters/fringe all-stars (one of whom could replace Cousins). If that's what they want, then I give the Brooklyn pick to that third team in a heartbeat.
That's fine, but that doesn't change that Lopez is being overpaid for in your deal.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »

• Paul Silas

That's fine, but that doesn't change that Lopez is being overpaid for in your deal.

We agree on that. I'm just saying it's worth it if it gets us Cousins.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 12:19:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

agreed.  that swap would be more appropriate to go to Sac than Brooklyn.  Maybe use the C's pick in 2018 instead or better yet, some seconds because Gay and Johnson are close to fair value for Lopez.  Not sure of the $ but maybe add James Young instead.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't think Kings want a Center back unless it's a one year deal. They should be rebuilding if they move Cousins. And they already have Centers on the roster to develop.

I see Smart, Brown, Zeller and 2018 Nets pick for Cousins like the right deal for Cousins as far as C's go.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »

• Paul Silas
Don't think Kings want a Center back unless it's a one year deal. They should be rebuilding if they move Cousins. And they already have Centers on the roster to develop.

I see Smart, Brown, Zeller and 2018 Nets pick for Cousins like the right deal for Cousins as far as C's go.

True. Good point. They may be looking for a more versatile scorer.

On the other hand, WCS and Lopez would be a good fit next to one another, and that would enlarge the role for WCS, which he reportedly wants.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

On the other hand, WCS and Lopez would be a good fit next to one another, and that would enlarge the role for WCS, which he reportedly wants.
Lopez isn't a good fit with WCS. WCS needs to be paired with a stretch capable big. Lopez isn't that. However if team added KO and got back McLemore that might work as the salaries still match and it's an ever sweeter deal for Cousins.

Cousins and McLemore for Brown, Smart, KO, Zeller, Nets 2018

IT/Rozier
AB/McLemore
Crowder/Green
Hordeford/JJ
Cousins/AJ

That still works for C's.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »

• Paul Silas

Lopez isn't a good fit with WCS. WCS needs to be paired with a stretch capable big. Lopez isn't that. However if team added KO and got back McLemore that might work as the salaries still match and it's an ever sweeter deal for Cousins.

IT/Rozier
AB/McLemore
Crowder/Green
Hordeford/JJ
Cousins/AJ

Lopez has always been a good long 2 shooter. His 3 % this year is a respectable 33% on 5 attempts a game. I think that qualifies as stretch capable.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

IT/Rozier
AB/McLemore
Crowder/Green
Hordeford/JJ
Cousins/AJ

Lopez has always been a good long 2 shooter. His 3 % this year is a respectable 33% on 5 attempts a game. I think that qualifies as stretch capable.
Yet you take away what makes him good, a post scoring big man and his rebounding. And his shooting from outside is streaky also he is turn over proven when a guy closes on him as he can't pass or drive well. Which isn't the case for KO who can pass and can drive (for a big). KO is a much better fit.