Author Topic: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?  (Read 12747 times)

Re: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
All this is really moot, though, as I don't think that Stevens, especially has any interest in him. I think that's too bad.

I think Stevens would be interested in using Monroe to take Tyler Zeller's minutes, but not to make a dent in his usage of Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk.
Monroe would be the starting center if Boston acquired him.  He would play in the 30 minute range.
Yes, I agree.  I believe Monroe on the Celtics would be an upper end starting big putting up points  and improving our rebounding.

And this idea about taking up cap space, I think it is worth a run with a big three of Thomas, Horford, Monroe.  That is a decent team although not in the tier of GSW or CLE of course.  The only way we get into that tier is if are able to trade for LeBron or Durant (which ain't happen'in).

So you make a run with that core, hopefully have a nice run in the playoffs for a season or two, and then see where we are at with young players taken with the Brooklyn picks.  Thomas walks, Monroe walks, we trade Horford, and start rebuild phase 3.
Instead of letting IT AB and etc walk I'd rather trade veteran pieces now and start phase 3.
That is a legitimate alternative but I am not sure we can get enough for Thomas or Horford right now to make it worthwhile.  I mean if you could trade Thomas and get say Carl-Anthony Towns or some other legit young player, sure, but it is tough to match up for that kind of a trade.

No, I feel phase 3 starts after we see how the Brooklyn picks work out.  We still may trade them for a star, say Paul George and make a run with say Thomas-Bradley-George-Horford-Monroe.  The problem is that team probably still does not beat GSW or CLE but maybe.

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
All this is really moot, though, as I don't think that Stevens, especially has any interest in him. I think that's too bad.

I think Stevens would be interested in using Monroe to take Tyler Zeller's minutes, but not to make a dent in his usage of Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk.
Monroe would be the starting center if Boston acquired him.  He would play in the 30 minute range.
Yes, I agree.  I believe Monroe on the Celtics would be an upper end starting big putting up points  and improving our rebounding.

And this idea about taking up cap space, I think it is worth a run with a big three of Thomas, Horford, Monroe.  That is a decent team although not in the tier of GSW or CLE of course.  The only way we get into that tier is if are able to trade for LeBron or Durant (which ain't happen'in).

So you make a run with that core, hopefully have a nice run in the playoffs for a season or two, and then see where we are at with young players taken with the Brooklyn picks.  Thomas walks, Monroe walks, we trade Horford, and start rebuild phase 3.

TPs to Vermont, Moranis and Loose!

All aboard The Moose train.

Cmon Danny and Stevens, hop on too!

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Lol I'd try and compete now while building a young and dominant core
Who's dominant and young? IT AB are not especially young and could walk after next season, they are also not the type of guys I'd want to sign to a long-term deal because of size.

I've been harping about this for awhile and would rather a trade for Okafor & LAL 2017 pick(top3 protected) for AB. Many guards in this draft and IMO Smart/Rozier/Jaylen/vet pickup or trade could pickup the loss of AB.

We could end up with another top BKN pick and a LAL pick around #10.
Dennis Smith Jr and Thomas Bryant

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »

• Ray Allen

Instead of letting IT AB and etc walk I'd rather trade veteran pieces now and start phase 3.
That is a legitimate alternative but I am not sure we can get enough for Thomas or Horford right now to make it worthwhile.  I mean if you could trade Thomas and get say Carl-Anthony Towns or some other legit young player, sure, but it is tough to match up for that kind of a trade.

No, I feel phase 3 starts after we see how the Brooklyn picks work out.  We still may trade them for a star, say Paul George and make a run with say Thomas-Bradley-George-Horford-Monroe.  The problem is that team probably still does not beat GSW or CLE but maybe.
I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I'd love to get Okafor. He has much more potential than many think and would help us big time in the playoffs.

« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Who's dominant and young? IT AB are not especially young and could walk after next season, they are also not the type of guys I'd want to sign to a long-term deal because of size.

I've been harping about this for awhile and would rather a trade for Okafor & LAL 2017 pick(top3 protected) for AB. Many guards in this draft and IMO Smart/Rozier/Jaylen/vet pickup or trade could pickup the loss of AB.

Um I was talking about Brown,Smart and thise 2 Brk picks as our young core, also have rozier
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2016, 09:50:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If things break out well I'd say that would be pretty dominant tbh
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I'd be very interested in buying low on Monroe, but I think the time to do it would be this coming off season.

As Moranis has been saying, he could come in and average 30mpg here.  Any success and he raises his market value and opts out to where the C's can't afford him.  Wait till he opts in and trade him for peanuts, or even if he opts out and the market isn't there for him look to sign him on a bargain basement deal.  I'd rather have him for one year with a training camp and no uncertainity with his contract situation, then a half season and uncertain contract.

By the summer, we'll know where the Brooklyn pick lands and if the Kings are holding onto Cousins, if any other stars become available, if Hayward and Griffin have re-signed or where they've landed, etc.  I would like it if Monroe was on the C's radar, but as option E, F,  or G, and not option A, B, or C.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2016, 10:20:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think somebody really ought to buy low on him, but I'm not convinced it's the Celts.

The Celts could do worse for a one year rental though, as long as they don't give up any significant value.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So basically tread water for a season and a half and blow it all up?!?! At this point for Ainge in the rebuild, that is not an option and probably isnt the smartest of moves. Ainge wont trade for Monroe, he is just a horrid fit on this team. The next step is finding that next star not a mediocre big man that will eat salary and make getting that next star through free agency or a trade almost impossible.

« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

27 and 26 isnt young.  Now I have heard it all.  ::)

« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

and Philly would laugh and hang up.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2016, 03:05:19 PM »

• Ray Allen

You honestly think they would hang up/ be insulted?

IMO , taking into account everything, AB for Okafor would be a great deal for PHI and IMO PHI should give us more back (like the LAL pick, which is right in the playoff mix and protected) or something else.

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2016, 03:16:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

So basically tread water for a season and a half and blow it all up?!?! At this point for Ainge in the rebuild, that is not an option and probably isnt the smartest of moves. Ainge wont trade for Monroe, he is just a horrid fit on this team. The next step is finding that next star not a mediocre big man that will eat salary and make getting that next star through free agency or a trade almost impossible.
Monroe is actually a pretty good fit in that he can actually guard guys like Drummond, he can actually rebound the ball, and he doesn't hurt the passing as he is a good passer.  He obviously is a more interior oriented big man, but he isn't Deandre Jordan either.  He has range to 10'. 

And I'm confused who you think is coming to Boston in free agency and why you think Monroe would somehow make that impossible or make trading for that type of player impossible.  This summer Monroe either isn't on the book or he is a nice big expiring contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Not sure they would. Okafors value continues to drift downwards and LAs pick is looking much more likely to be back of the lottery than it is to be around 5 or 6.

Plus Bradley is the ideal fit next to Simmons long term.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.