Author Topic: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?  (Read 12809 times)

Re: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2016, 11:38:02 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
His Player Option for next year is a non-starter.
who is Boston going to use cap space on this summer?

A player (or players) who moves the needle. Monroe doesn't.

Agreed. I'd rather spend more assets on a guy on an expiring contract (like Bogut) and preserve our cap space for this summer
I now agree with the people against Monroe. He's a solid player, but his contract is way to big and there's no way he opts out of his contract

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Agreed. I'd rather spend more assets on a guy on an expiring contract (like Bogut) and preserve our cap space for this summer
But who is that?  Sure it would be nice to sign LeBron James this summer, but he isn't available and wouldn't come here anyway.  You can't just say someone better and not identify who that someone better is?

So I ask again, who is Boston going to use the cap space on this summer that is better than Monroe?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

But who is that?  Sure it would be nice to sign LeBron James this summer, but he isn't available and wouldn't come here anyway.  You can't just say someone better and not identify who that someone better is?

So I ask again, who is Boston going to use the cap space on this summer that is better than Monroe?

It's better to leave it unused than to do the equivalent of signing Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon.  Ainge's endgame might be having the option to sign Demarcus Cousins as a free agent in 2018.  If he doesn't land a big fish, Ainge will probably look for guys like Jerebko and Johnson to come back on two-year deals with unguaranteed second years to fill any empty roster spots.  That would be better than trading for Monroe.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2016, 03:29:43 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Who's Andrew Bogut? He's a center for the Mavs, formerly for the Warriors  ;D

On a more serious note, if guys like Hayward and Griffin are off the table (which I'm not entirely convinced of right now), I'd rather spend money on a guy like Millsap (who should definitely be looking for a change if the Hawks can't turn it around)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2016, 03:46:50 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

On a more serious note, if guys like Hayward and Griffin are off the table (which I'm not entirely convinced of right now), I'd rather spend money on a guy like Millsap (who should definitely be looking for a change if the Hawks can't turn it around)
Millsap is undersized and getting scary old for the type of play-style that he has. There are very few FA this year that would be worth our cap-space besides Hayward and Griffin. The only player that I could see fitting very well is Ibaka and even he's questionable because he's on the older side. For me it's either Hayward or Griffin and then our next tier should be Ibaka or Noel and our last option should be bringing in Bogut at C because he'd fit very well too.

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

i think Griffin is for sure staying in LA. aside from basketball reasons, his own financial reasons are a big reason why LA is great for him (what with his commercials, sponsorships, and all).

the problem with Millsap is that we'd essentially become a slightly better version of the Hawks when they had Horford. i dont want that to be the ceiling of this team, you know?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think that there is little chance Monroe opts in next year UNLESS either:

1. He isn't traded and stays with the Bucks and/or

2. He gets injured.

There is far too much $$$ out there and far too few serviceable big men vying for it.

If Monroe is traded (which I hope happens), he will get playing time. No team will trade for him without intending to use him. And if that happens, he will get his career numbers, and that will get him a lucrative multi-year contract.

As far as injury goes, as we all know (see our injury history since '09) anyone can get injured at anytime  (except Bron Bron. amazing, huh?), but Monroe has been as durable as they come and is only 26. Monroe has a history of believing in himself and taking a chance on himself as exhibited by his accepting his QO from Detroit, and barring injury, he will do it again, and opt out.

We need his rebounding, and he immediately makes us a better team, although many on here don't agree with that, I know. He played well against the Cavs and was instrumental in the Bucks beating them.

All this is really moot, though, as I don't think that Stevens, especially has any interest in him. I think that's too bad.

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2016, 04:36:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
All this is really moot, though, as I don't think that Stevens, especially has any interest in him. I think that's too bad.

I think Stevens would be interested in using Monroe to take Tyler Zeller's minutes, but not to make a dent in his usage of Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I think Stevens would be interested in using Monroe to take Tyler Zeller's minutes, but not to make a dent in his usage of Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk.

I hope that you're right, but we didn't even meet with him when he became a FA, and he's been gettable trade-wise since the deadline last year.

I agree too about taking Zeller's minutes and would love that as a trade on January 15th, but I think that we would have to include Jerebko to make salaries work with Zeller. Whereas if we traded Amir, we could get Monroe on Dec 15th (I think) and only have to include Young and picks to make it work.

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2016, 08:20:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It's better to leave it unused than to do the equivalent of signing Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon.  Ainge's endgame might be having the option to sign Demarcus Cousins as a free agent in 2018.  If he doesn't land a big fish, Ainge will probably look for guys like Jerebko and Johnson to come back on two-year deals with unguaranteed second years to fill any empty roster spots.  That would be better than trading for Monroe.
But if Monroe opts in he only has 1 year after this (and I don't think he opts in anyway).  That is the point I've been responding to.  No one wants to trade for Monroe because he might opt into one more year this summer, but if he does that it is just one more year, so the only lost opportunity is a player that could be signed this summer.  The only better player that Boston has any shot at landing is Hayward and he while better is very redundant. 

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Monroe would be the starting center if Boston acquired him.  He would play in the 30 minute range. 

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2016, 08:32:03 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Monroe would be the starting center if Boston acquired him.  He would play in the 30 minute range.
Yes, I agree.  I believe Monroe on the Celtics would be an upper end starting big putting up points  and improving our rebounding.

And this idea about taking up cap space, I think it is worth a run with a big three of Thomas, Horford, Monroe.  That is a decent team although not in the tier of GSW or CLE of course.  The only way we get into that tier is if are able to trade for LeBron or Durant (which ain't happen'in).

So you make a run with that core, hopefully have a nice run in the playoffs for a season or two, and then see where we are at with young players taken with the Brooklyn picks.  Thomas walks, Monroe walks, we trade Horford, and start rebuild phase 3.

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2016, 08:34:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I would like him to pay more attention and give more effort on D, but is Zeller, Rozier, Mem pick and some 2nds fair value?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2016, 08:36:08 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Yes, I agree.  I believe Monroe on the Celtics would be an upper end starting big putting up points  and improving our rebounding.

And this idea about taking up cap space, I think it is worth a run with a big three of Thomas, Horford, Monroe.  That is a decent team although not in the tier of GSW or CLE of course.  The only way we get into that tier is if are able to trade for LeBron or Durant (which ain't happen'in).

So you make a run with that core, hopefully have a nice run in the playoffs for a season or two, and then see where we are at with young players taken with the Brooklyn picks.  Thomas walks, Monroe walks, we trade Horford, and start rebuild phase 3.
Instead of letting IT AB and etc walk I'd rather trade veteran pieces now and start phase 3.

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2016, 08:39:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Lol I'd try and compete now while building a young and dominant core
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA