Author Topic: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?  (Read 12746 times)

Re: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 03:09:05 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
People say he's a bad defender, but he's already put up a DBPM of 3.1 this year (Johnson has only put up .7), he's actually just as good of a shot-blocker than Amir Johnson at 2.1 % to Johnson's 2.2%. To get stops on defense we need to eliminate 2nd chance points and being a good defender means that you also need to be a good DRB. Johnson's DRB% is 12.1% to Monroe's 27.4%. Neither is a floor spacer, but Monroe is more versatile as a big man. He has dramatically improved as a passer as well. Monroe has put up an fantastic 20% AST% as a big man! That's better than Pau Gasol and KAT both considered versatile/good passers. That's more than 2 times better than Olynyk too who's often considered a savvy passer. So for those of you arguing about the fact that he's not a good defender or floor-spacer, he would be a significant improvement over Amir Johnson and would take his role in the starting lineup.

He's averaging 17.5 PPG, 13.1 RPG, 4.7 APG, and 2.5 STLs per 36. On a winning team those are All-Star numbers. Considering the lack of depth of this upcoming FA class and the fact that Monroe can be had for pennies on the dollar we better capitalize. This is a perfect Ainge situation. He's better than every big that we have, besides Horford, and I would love to have a player like him on our team. Steven Adams just received 25 mil per year and there are very few statistical measures that portray Monroe as worse all around player than him, so technically he's kind of a steal based off the market.

If he opts out we really don't lose out on much because we gave up almost nothing to get him. If he opts in we essentially add FA that we wouldn't have probably grabbed next year and for a solid price. We can then use Brooklyn's 1st and the addition of Zizic and Yabusele next year to get team even better and deeper in the frontcourt.

All-in-all it's a win-win situation for the Celtics and I think we become an even more dangerous playoff team.

Starters:
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Greg Monroe
C: Al Horford
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:16:41 PM by alewilliam789 »

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'd rather have an empty roster spot than Greg Monroe.

Edit:  I'd put acquiring Monroe on par with acquiring Gerald Wallace.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I would have liked Monroe on last year's team when we needed more offense.

This year, we need defense so I'd rather WCS or Noel.

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'm not actually sure a healthy Boston really needs defense, but it most definitely needs rebounding and Monroe is by the best rebounder of those 3 as well as by far the best offensive player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I'm not actually sure a healthy Boston really needs defense, but it most definitely needs rebounding and Monroe is by the best rebounder of those 3 as well as by far the best offensive player.

In Detroit, Monroe was one of the most selfish rebounders I've ever seen.  He'd frequently break from defensive rotations to put himself in position to rebound.  Pass.

Edit:  He's the Rondo of rebounders.

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
You give someone a complete statistical break down of how much Monroe would be as an improvement over pretty much every other big man on the roster and half you guys still wouldn't have him. Don't understand why, can you please explain why?

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Monroe produces his own offense while simultaneously limiting the offense of the players he is on the floor with.  He is a lane clogger and would restrict his teammates ability to attack the lane and the hoop.  Adding him does not add offense it forces you to play through him which is exactly what the Celtics want to avoid doing. 

The Celtics do not have a rebounding problem necessarily, it is a direct result of how they approach the game.  You simply do not ADD rebounding as that rebounder will likely force you to change the way you play on both ends of the floor.  G.S. is also one of the worst rebounding teams in the league right now, should they also change the way they are playing?

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
You give someone a complete statistical break down of how much Monroe would be as an improvement over pretty much every other big man on the roster and half you guys still wouldn't have him. Don't understand why, can you please explain why?

Statistical breakdowns don't matter here. This blog only respects regurgitated over-exaggerated rhetoric! Ask soft/bad defender 4 lyfe Kelly Olynyk. He knows what I'm talking about.

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 04:39:30 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

Monroe produces his own offense while simultaneously limiting the offense of the players he is on the floor with.  He is a lane clogger and would restrict his teammates ability to attack the lane and the hoop.  Adding him does not add offense it forces you to play through him which is exactly what the Celtics want to avoid doing. 

The Celtics do not have a rebounding problem necessarily, it is a direct result of how they approach the game.  You simply do not ADD rebounding as that rebounder will likely force you to change the way you play on both ends of the floor.  G.S. is also one of the worst rebounding teams in the league right now, should they also change the way they are playing?
You assumption that he would clog lanes because of his play style is pretty much based on the ridiculous view that he can only play on the block within an offense. Monroe is actually a very good passing big man out of the high post, better than Amir. By the way how are you going to say Monroe is a lane clogger when Amir Johnson can't consistently hit any shot outside of 8 feet from the basket. Defenses don't respect Johnson as a shooter even though we put him on the perimeter routinely. If anything that clogs up the lane as well. At least Monroe can hit people out of the high post and then use a handle to get into the paint and either get an easy bucket using his sweet post game/footwork or pass it out and hit an open shooter.

By the way also disagree and agree with the add rebounding statement. Agree offensively because of the perimeter based offense that we run. Defensively we need to drastically improve on our rebounding and that is something that you can add because we don't run any special sort of defensive philosophy to keep our bigs from putting up large defensive rebounding numbers, something that Monroe is also really good at. We are consistently towards the bottom of the league in second chance opportunities allowed off offensive rebounds because of this.

So no he won't drastically clog the paint more than what we already experience and he actually would add a rebounding presence defensively. Something that we need.

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

Statistical breakdowns don't matter here. This blog only respects regurgitated over-exaggerated rhetoric! Ask soft/bad defender 4 lyfe Kelly Olynyk. He knows what I'm talking about.
The C's so far this year have a defensive rating of 98.0 with K.O. on the floor, without K.O. on the floor the C's have a def. rat. of 108.2.  Last year the C's had their best def. rat with K.O. on the floor 97.7.  Post all star break in the 14-15 season the C's had a def. rat. of 91.1 with K.O. on the floor.  Maybe it's time you reevaluate Olynyk as a defender??  Maybe just maybe you are missing something....

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2016, 04:42:23 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

The C's so far this year have a defensive rating of 98.0 with K.O. on the floor, without K.O. on the floor the C's have a def. rat. of 108.2.  Last year the C's had their best def. rat with K.O. on the floor 97.7.  Post all star break in the 14-15 season the C's had a def. rat. of 91.1 with K.O. on the floor.  Maybe it's time you reevaluate Olynyk as a defender??  Maybe just maybe you are missing something....

Soft 4 lyfe.

Edit:

Your stats say that Kelly doesn't play great defense when coming back from an injury. I think we should now jump to conclusions and say he will never get better or improve at anything. Just like Avery Bradley.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:51:17 PM by number_n9ne »

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

Soft 4 lyfe.
I read your post as sarcasm and my post was a follow up to yours.  Ale has been trashing Olynyk everywhere he posts on here and my post was directed at him.

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Soft 4 lyfe.
I read your post as sarcasm and my post was a follow up to yours.  Ale has been trashing Olynyk everywhere he posts on here and my post was directed at him.

My posts are definitely sarcasm lol.

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

True, but Olynyk has drastically improved defensively since being drafted. He's become good enough that I don't see him making many visible mistakes besides being a T-Rex with his short arms.

It just boggles my mind that people are willing to pass up on a highly skilled big man like Monroe because of drastic bias and like you said played out rhetoric. If you are willing to settle with Amir Johnson, I'm not sure you're interested with what's best for team. He's a gritty player, but in the big picture he's expendable.

You say oh Monroe contracts too big and he's a one year rental? Same with Amir Johnson?
He's making 12 mil as an expiring contract to Monroe's 17. We are paying 5 mil more for a drastically better player, with essentially the same contract (an expiring deal), who is only 26!!!!!!! At least we give ourselves potential to get deeper in the playoffs with more talent. We make ourselves a more versatile/dangerous team with Monroe in any of our lineups. I have faith that Stevens can really show us how good Monroe can be and if we can get for nothing we better jump on that opportunity.

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

Soft 4 lyfe.

I never said Olynyk is a bad defender though so how is that a shot at me? He's just lost out there on offense and statistically hasn't improved since he's been in the league. He's not consistent and he's just soft as hell. I just don't like him as a player, but I can't sit here and say he doesn't contribute at all. He just p---es me off to all hell.