Author Topic: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?  (Read 12830 times)

Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
After being a huge signing for the Bucks Monroe has now been relegated to a DNP-CD for the bucks one night after only playing 7mpg vs the hawks.

He has been discussed on countless threats in this forum and most agree he isn't a perfect fit however at this point his asking price has to be low enough to warrant a trade. I suspect either the Cs or the Pelicans will make a play for Monroe this season. Given his shrinking role with the team I would expect Monroe's and his agent to push for a trade to salvage his market value assuming he doesn't pick up his player option this off-season.

On the court I think Monroe is a better fit with the Cs then his current bucks or his previous team the pistons. The pistons had major spacing issues with Drummond and Monroe both taking the same space on the court. The bucks have proven to be better served playing athletic defensive minded bigs (Henson/Plumlee) in place of Monroe in order to cover for other players deficiency. With the Celtics Monroe would presumably take Amirs place in the rotation and find himself playing along side Horford or KO. Both are players who provide solid defense and court spacing a combination of skills Monroe has never had along side him. His niche on the Celtics will play to his strength as he has always been a solid rebounding big and a above average passer. His ability to score in the paint will also help give the Cs an offensive identity when IT isn't on the court.

I'm not saying to give up a lot for Monroe. Something like Amir + Jonas/Young + 2 2nd round picks seems like a fair deal given the fact he is likely a 1 year rental. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pelicans offer more then this. This type of 2 for 1 deal would also open the door to possibly signing a vet SF like Prince or Butler or signing Nader to add depth behind Crowder.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:17:40 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Time to Buy low on Greg Monroe?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:21:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would rather have the cap room next off-season than pay ~$18 million to a bench big.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would rather have the cap room next off-season than pay ~$18 million to a bench big.
Don't you think Monroe will opt out (or not exercise his player option, I forget if he has PO or an ETO) at the end of this year ?

Also with how the Clippers are playing I'm not sure we have a chance at Blake. Who would you like to keep the cap space for?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Next season he has a player option. Given the change to the Cap he is all but guaranteed decline the option. He would most likely be a one year rental. I could see a situation where he plays well with the Cs and no major trade / FA moves are available and the Cs offer him a max 1+1 team option deal. Similar to what they did with Amir.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Don't you think Monroe will opt out (or not exercise his player option, I forget if he has PO or an ETO) at the end of this year ?

Also with how the Clippers are playing I'm not sure we have a chance at Blake. Who would you like to keep the cap space for?

With how he's playing, why would he?  I doubt he'd get $18 million over two seasons, much less one.  There have been multiple reports that he's not expected to opt out, which is one reason the Bucks would like to trade him.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm not saying to give up a lot for Monroe. Something like Amir + Jonas/Young + 2 2nd round picks seems like a fair deal given the fact he is likely a 1 year rental. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Pelicans offer more then this. This type of 2 for 1 deal would also open the door to possibly signing a vet SF like Prince or Butler or signing Nader to add depth behind Crowder.

I think this is fair, though 18 mil is a lot but the way I see it, we get a more capable big in Monroe for the expense of a mediocre big in Amir, shed roster spots by sending out Jonas and Young which can also make room for Yabu and Zizic next year, and if Monroe opts out we get cap space?

or is that not how it works?

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

With how he's playing, why would he?  I doubt he'd get $18 million over two seasons, much less one.  There have been multiple reports that he's not expected to opt out, which is one reason the Bucks would like to trade him.
If teams are in need of a center he would be the best unrestricted option on the market. Even if he's not playing great right now I still think he could command a long term deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

He may not if he stays on Milwaukee, but if he comes here and plays 30 mpg and gets back to close to where he was at statistically, then he would price himself even higher. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

If teams are in need of a center he would be the best unrestricted option on the market. Even if he's not playing great right now I still think he could command a long term deal.

I've had my doubts for awhile, and Zach Lowe reported last month that the Bucks are planning for him to pick up his option.  They would love to move him.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He may not if he stays on Milwaukee, but if he comes here and plays 30 mpg and gets back to close to where he was at statistically, then he would price himself even higher.

I don't know why you think Stevens would ever give him 30 minutes a game with his defensive rotations.  He's not a great fit for most teams.  I do think it'd be worth it for the Pelicans to take a shot, because what have they got to lose?

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I don't know why you think Stevens would ever give him 30 minutes a game with his defensive rotations.  He's not a great fit for most teams.  I do think it'd be worth it for the Pelicans to take a shot, because what have they got to lose?
Monroe isn't very athletic and is not a shot blocker, but he isn't a terrible defender.  In fact, he has never had a negative DBPM.  He would be by far the best rebounder on the team and would be the only player with any sort of real lost post skills.  He is a respectable passer and a very good free throw shooter (for a big guy). 

If Boston can acquire Monroe cheaply, he makes perfect sense and I'd expect to play as many minutes as he is able since he would have no real competition for minutes at center. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
It's certainly something to consider, but only after the Cousins acquisition possibility has been totally eliminated.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Monroe isn't very athletic and is not a shot blocker, but he isn't a terrible defender.  In fact, he has never had a negative DBPM.  He would be by far the best rebounder on the team and would be the only player with any sort of real lost post skills.  He is a respectable passer and a very good free throw shooter (for a big guy). 

If Boston can acquire Monroe cheaply, he makes perfect sense and I'd expect to play as many minutes as he is able since he would have no real competition for minutes at center.

Even the creator of BPM says "Defense is only partially captured by the box score, so elite defenders based on position and communication, like Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan, will not be properly represented."  Frankly, the same thing could be said for poor defenders.

I think it's moot, since Boston will not trade for Monroe.  Guaranteed.  But if he does, I'm offering the prediction right now that if he will not get 30 minutes a game unless there is a significant injury to Horford or Olynyk (not impossible), and regardless, he will opt in for next season.  Wherever he winds up, he's opting in.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Monroe is something of an Okafor-type, but is paid far more and has a lower ceiling. If he's cheap to get...Horford can offset some of his weaknesses (defense+range most notably) and he'd give us interior scoring, rebounding, and excellent durability, which we could use some of up front. Plus he's an underrated passer, something Stevens could probably utilize better than his prior teams.

If he's going to bail this offseason and the price is low, I think it's worth a shot, we could employ him fairly well here. Problem is it's almost impossible to say that both those things are true.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Giving up Amir Johnson means giving up the best player in the deal.  If you could use Zeller's contract instead, Monroe would be the fourth big.  I don't think he wants to be in that situation.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference