Author Topic: Warriors (9-2) at Celtics (6-5) Game #12 11/18/16  (Read 35133 times)

Warriors (9-2) at Celtics (6-5) Game #12 11/18/16
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:22:21 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Golden State Warriors (23-0) at Boston Celtics (13-9)
Friday, November 18, 2016
8:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #12, Home Game #6
TV: ESPN,  CSN-NE, CSN-BA
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 95.7
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Marcus Smart
PF: Kelly Olynyk
C:  Amir Johnson

Celtics Reserves

Jaylen Brown
Gerald Green
Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko
Tyler Zeller

Injuries

Al Horford  (concussion)  doubtful
Jae Crowder (ankle) out

Head Coach

Brad Stevens 

Probable Starters

PG: Stephen Curry
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Draymond Green
C: Zaza Pachulia

Reserves
Ian Clark
Andre Iguodala
Shaun Livingston
Kevon Looney
James Michael McAdoo
Patrick McCaw
JaVale McGee
Anderson Varejao
Davis West

Injuries
Draymond Green (ankle) game time decision
Damion Jones (pectoral surgery)  out

Head Coach

Steve Kerr

Game Notes
The Celtics host the Warriors in a much anticipated match up.  The Celtics had hoped to entice Kevin Durant to come to Boston this summer but he chose the Warriors instead.  This will be the first time to face them with KD in the starting lineup.  They will meet one more time in Oakland on March 8. 

After Durant chose the Warriors, Jae Crowder said that it was like a slap in the face and he was upset that the Celtics unveiled to him some of their defensive secrets.  Reports were that Jae expected to practice on Thursday but as of now there have been no reports as to his availability for this game.  As for Durant,  he said that he feels no attachment to the Celtics.  I would love to have a very motivated Jae Crowder guarding Durant in this one.   There is also no word as of now as to Al Horford's availability for this game. 

Last season the Warriors came into Boston undefeated last season and the Celtics gave them all they could handle but lost 124-119 in a double OT thriller.  The Warriors then lost to the Bucks the next night because the Celtics had obviously worn them out.  When the Celtics played them in Oakland, the Celtics ended their 54 game home winning streak with a 109-106 win. 

The Warriors have been fairly healthy this season while the Celtics have not had their whole team together yet.  In Wednesday's win over the Raptors, Draymond Green left the game in the first quarter after rolling his ankle.  He returned in the second quarter after some treatment and getting retaped and finished the game.  He is listed as a game time decision for this game. 

Both teams are playing in the first of back to back games.  The Celtics are 3-0 so far in the first game of a back to back set with all 3 being played at home.  The Bucks will once again play in Milwaukee the night after playing the Celtics while the Celtics will play in Detroit. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Isaiah Thomas vs Stephen Curry
The simple truth is that no human can guard Stephen Curry.   Avery and Isaiah and Marcus have to do the best they can but he will still get his.  Curry is averaging 27.9 points, 3.6 rebounds, 6.0 assists, and 1.18 steals per game.  He is shooting 46.4% from the field and 50.8% from beyond the arc.  The best the Celtics can hope for is to maybe slow him down a little.

vs 
Avery Bradley vs Klay Thompson
Durant is averaging 27.9 points, 8.0rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.6 steals.  He is shooting 55.8% from the field and 40% from beyond the arc.  The Celtics are hoping to get Jae Crowder back healthy for this game and that would make things easier for them.  Otherwise, it will be up to Marcus Smart to try to slow him down.

Honorable Mention
Avery Bradley vs Klay Thompson
With the addition of Durant, Thompson's stats are down a bit but he is still averaging a respectable 18.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, and 2.4 assists.  He is shooting 44.1% from the field and 31.3% from beyond the arc. 

Keys to the Game
Defense
- The Warriors can put up points quickly and in bunches.  They are averaging 117.4 points per game.   It will be important for the Celtics to bring their defensive intensity into this game, especially to shut down the Warriors' fast breaks as they can get up the floor very quickly.  The Celtics must especially guard the perimeter as the Warriors are very dangerous from beyond the arc.   The Celtics must execute on the defensive end of the court and play tough team defense if they have any hope of winning this game. 

Rebound - The Celtics need to crash the boards to keep the Warriors from igniting their fast breaks. The Celtics also need to rebound to give themselves second chance points and limit the second chance points for the Warriors. The Celtics are 5-0 when they out rebound their opponents.  They have to crash the boards as a team to have a chance in this game. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Warriors can be very disruptive by getting into the passing lanes, averaging 10 steals per game. The Celtics need to stay focused and not give the Warriors any easy opportunities to steal the ball or to get out on the break.  If the Celtics get sloppy with the ball, the Warriors will make them pay.

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to come out focused and play hard from start to finish. The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team throughout the game. They must be aggressive on defense, on the boards, in chasing down loose balls, and in taking the ball to the hoop and not settling for jumpers.  They will need energy and extra effort from every player on the team.

Run, Run Run! -  The Celtics play best when they run on every possession and run back on defense as well.  The Warriors love to run and the Celtics have to match their effort and energy and keep up with the Warriors running game and even better, out run them. 

X-Factors
Focus - The Celtics have to be focused on the game and not on all the hype of the Warriors and Kevin Durant.  The only way the Celtics will get a win in this game is to outwork the Warriors and stay focused on the task at hand.

Injuries -Draymond Green is a game time decision and it could make things a little easier for the Celtics.  It would also be very nice to get Al Horford and Jae Crowder back healthy and would make it a bit easier for the Celtics. 

Officiating - As always, the officiating is an x-factor.   Every crew officiates differently and teams never know what to expect.  Sometimes they let them play and other times they call a foul on every possession.  Some games they call evenly and others they favor one team or the other.  It's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolate... you never know what you are going to get. 

Re: Warriors (9-2) at Celtics (6-5) Game #12 11/18/16
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:26:18 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
TP and a great job as always FL.

I really hope that our boys can step up and atleast show we are a team to be reckoned with. Lets go effort.

Also finally a team that shouldnt kill us on the boards

Go celtics!
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:28:18 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
TP

This one is legit. Let's give them another L. The Lakers beat them, for crying out loud.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:49:17 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
We can beat them if we play our A-game on the defensive side of the floor. We better crash the boards better than them too.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:50:48 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
C'mon, Jae and Al! Let's get one of them back for the big game.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Jae hasn't been ruled out already has he? Last I heard he was probable.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Jae hasn't been ruled out already has he? Last I heard he was probable.

No, I don't know what his official designation is, but he could suit up.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:48:50 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP FL
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Many thanks once more flc. I always look forward to these game threads and appreciate all the great work you do to write them.

A tp as always, and well deserved.

Goooooo Celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 12:21:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Have a feeling we are in store for a demoralizing beat-down.  Hope not though.  I just wanna say up front if the warriors blow us out, don't get too discouraged.  We are a really strong team.  We have some key injuries right now. It's no big deal.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Have a feeling we are in store for a demoralizing beat-down.  Hope not though.  I just wanna say up front if the warriors blow us out, don't get too discouraged.  We are a really strong team.  We have some key injuries right now. It's no big deal.

I think so too, unless crowder comes back. then it might be somewhat close. KD is gonna wreck Marcus unfortunately. will just shoot over him everytime, like he did last season.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 02:43:58 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

I think so too, unless crowder comes back. then it might be somewhat close. KD is gonna wreck Marcus unfortunately. will just shoot over him everytime, like he did last season.

If I were Brad, I'd put Jaylen against KD. The Kid seems to be at his best when he's matched up against the best. Not to mention, he have the length to defend KD at a high level. He did pretty good against Lebron, Simmons.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 06:44:16 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

If I were Brad, I'd put Jaylen against KD. The Kid seems to be at his best when he's matched up against the best. Not to mention, he have the length to defend KD at a high level. He did pretty good against Lebron, Simmons.

I'd rather have Smart guarding him. Durant can shoot over both of them, but Smart would be much better at ball denial and switching when he needs too. Brown may be better equipped physically, but he has a lot to learn on the defensive end before I can trust him over Marcus
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:22 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to A Future of Stevens for being first to post in the game thread!!! 

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!! 

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 07:25:52 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
With way this team has played .  With awful defense .  Ugh ...SMH