Author Topic: Who can offer a better package than Brown, Smart, Crowder and 3 first rounders?  (Read 5324 times)

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
That offer eliminates us from contention, as Gerald Green or James Young would be our starting 3. I'm all for getting Boogie, but keeping at least one of Brown, Smart, Crowder is imperative.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
That offer eliminates us from contention, as Gerald Green or James Young would be our starting 3. I'm all for getting Boogie, but keeping at least one of Brown, Smart, Crowder is imperative.

Agreed, gutting the roster for Boogie is counterintuitive. Trading away our highest draft young prospects also isn't ideal, and we are seeing how much Crowder means to this team right now.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Agreed, gutting the roster for Boogie is counterintuitive. Trading away our highest draft young prospects also isn't ideal, and we are seeing how much Crowder means to this team right now.

Frankly, Crowder should be untouchable unless we're trading for a wing or a transcendent talent. He's too essential if we truly hope to compete.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Id watch out for Blazers they could put together a package around CJ for Cousins and even take Gay for Crabbe or Turner if Kings want to move Gay.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I would assume Rudy Gay would come to Boston (add Zeller and Jackson for salary).

Boston would thus have a rotation of

PG - Thomas, Rozier
SG - Bradley, Smart
SF - Gay, Green, Young
PF - Horford, Johnson, Jerekbo
C - Cousins, Olynyk
with 3 open roster spots to add young guys or vets
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If a team wants unproven prospects and draft picks, Boston is one of the teams you have to call. 
Other teams like the lakers, Suns, sixers, magic, nuggets, etc can also make compelling pu-pu platters.

But this is based on an assumption that a team wants unproven prospects and draft picks which isn't always the case.  Sometimes they prefer proven talent in return.  In which case, you open things up to tons of teams.  Example... if you're talking about a deal for Cousins, our mystery box of assets might be trumped by an offer built around DeAndre Jordan.   Just depends on what the Kings are looking for.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:49:43 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Id watch out for Blazers they could put together a package around CJ for Cousins and even take Gay for Crabbe or Turner if Kings want to move Gay.
This is the one that I fear too for Boogie to go to. I am more on the side of Noel as the player we need. I think Young is going to become our shooter of the Bench.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Can we stop talking about a D-Cousins trade to Boston. Last year I thought it was a possibility based off the sheer amount of draft picks and we had more depth and potential pieces to ship over. If we did do a trade like this our roster would have even less depth which is scary to think.

We'd be better off adding Nerlens Noel for so much cheaper. Watching as he fills the voids of rebounding, defense, and shotblocking that we need.

It's like this. The Clippers gave Deandre Jordan a max contract essentially for his athleticism and his ability to defend. 

Noel is actually on track to be just as good, or a better defender. In his first year Noel put up 4.2 DWS in his rookie year!!!! In Deandre Jordan's first 5 years he barely touched 3 DWS until he exploded for 5.3 in 2014. Noel's Defensive Plus Minus in his first two years in the NBA are 4.5 and 3.4 respectively. Deandre Jordan's best career DPM is 4.2. DJ was actually just as good or better as a shotblocker than Noel, statistically, when he first entered the league.

So considering that Noel is an elite defender for his age, a per 36 double digit rebounder, and improving offensive player is enough for me to give him a market sized contract to become the defensive stalwart that we need besides Horford. We are getting even more money in FA from TV deals to add potentially another FA, we still are getting 2 good prospects from overseas, and we could still have a top 5 pick in amazingly deep draft.

With the trade for Noel:
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Nerlens Noel
C: Al Horford

That's an exciting young squad that has plenty of potential.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Zach Lowe thinks that Danny wants Boogie but Brad does not.

Just listened to his podcast.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Frankly, Crowder should be untouchable unless we're trading for a wing or a transcendent talent. He's too essential if we truly hope to compete.

You're untouchable, max.  I wouldn't trade you for Boogie, straight-up.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Zach Lowe thinks that Danny wants Boogie but Brad does not.

Just listened to his podcast.

Really? I would think it was the other way around. Remember last year when Danny said something along the lines of "we don't want anyone that's gonna be an issue in the locker room". Or something like that. Hell, maybe neither wants his attitude problems haha
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Can we stop talking about a D-Cousins trade to Boston. Last year I thought it was a possibility based off the sheer amount of draft picks and we had more depth and potential pieces to ship over. If we did do a trade like this our roster would have even less depth which is scary to think.

We'd be better off adding Nerlens Noel for so much cheaper. Watching as he fills the voids of rebounding, defense, and shotblocking that we need.

It's like this. The Clippers gave Deandre Jordan a max contract essentially for his athleticism and his ability to defend

Noel is actually on track to be just as good, or a better defender. In his first year Noel put up 4.2 DWS in his rookie year!!!! In Deandre Jordan's first 5 years he barely touched 3 DWS until he exploded for 5.3 in 2014. Noel's Defensive Plus Minus in his first two years in the NBA are 4.5 and 3.4 respectively. Deandre Jordan's best career DPM is 4.2. DJ was actually just as good or better as a shotblocker than Noel, statistically, when he first entered the league.

So considering that Noel is an elite defender for his age, a per 36 double digit rebounder, and improving offensive player is enough for me to give him a market sized contract to become the defensive stalwart that we need besides Horford. We are getting even more money in FA from TV deals to add potentially another FA, we still are getting 2 good prospects from overseas, and we could still have a top 5 pick in amazingly deep draft.

With the trade for Noel:

Nerlens Noel is not a good rebounder.  He's average at best, about on the level of Amir Johnson (if you look at their rebound rates, Amir is a slightly better offensive rebounder while Noel is slightly better defensive, they work out to be about the same overall. I had a post a couple of weeks ago comparing them and Okafor, I can find it again later of anyone wants to see it)

Deandre Jordan got a max contract after averaging 11.5 points and 15.0 rebounds per game, making the All NBA 3rd team, 1st NBA all defensive team, being 3rd in DPOY voting, and leading the league in FG% (at 71.3%).  He wasn't just "athletic" and "able to defend", he's a top 2 or 3 rebounder in the NBA, a top 5 defensive player, a great finisher, and a top 5 center overall.  You're selling him short to a ridiculous degree

Noel averaged 9.9 rbd/36 last year and 9.5 the year before.  That is not double digits.  He's not actually a good rebounder.  Maybe he'd get it up to double digits this year, but we don't know because he has yet to play an actual game (which is another issue with trading for him - he's damaged gods right now; on the other hand, though, that may lower his price)

If the season ended today we wouldn't have enough money to keep Olynyk and sign a max FA, and Noel's cap hit will be even bigger. We can't sign him to whatever money he wants and sign a good FA unless we get rid of someone like IT, AB, or Crowder (and no, having his bird rights does not help, since his cap hit will be too big)
I'm bitter.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

It's like this. The Clippers gave Deandre Jordan a max contract essentially for his athleticism and his ability to defend

With the trade for Noel:

Nerlens Noel is not a good rebounder.  He's average at best, about on the level of Amir Johnson (if you look at their rebound rates, Amir is a slightly better offensive rebounder while Noel is slightly better defensive, they work out to be about the same overall. I had a post a couple of weeks ago comparing them and Okafor, I can find it again later of anyone wants to see it)

Deandre Jordan got a max contract after averaging 11.5 points and 15.0 rebounds per game, making the All NBA 3rd team, 1st NBA all defensive team, being 3rd in DPOY voting, and leading the league in FG% (at 71.3%).  He wasn't just "athletic" and "able to defend", he's a top 2 or 3 rebounder in the NBA, a top 5 defensive player, a great finisher, and a top 5 center overall.  You're selling him short to a ridiculous degree

Noel averaged 9.9 rbd/36 last year and 9.5 the year before.  That is not double digits.  He's not actually a good rebounder.  Maybe he'd get it up to double digits this year, but we don't know because he has yet to play an actual game (which is another issue with trading for him - he's damaged gods right now; on the other hand, though, that may lower his price)

If the season ended today we wouldn't have enough money to keep Olynyk and sign a max FA, and Noel's cap hit will be even bigger. We can't sign him to whatever money he wants and sign a good FA unless we get rid of someone like IT, AB, or Crowder (and no, having his bird rights does not help, since his cap hit will be too big)

dannnng, Jim effectively disproved every single point the other dude made. well done, and i agree with everything you said. TP
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
For who ?

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I think the Lakers could. I mean, maybe two of Ingram/Randle/Russell/Clarkson, their future picks could rival the possible deal..

Now would either the Lakers or Celtics do those respective deals, I highly doubt it.

Getting a guy like AD would be huge, but at the expense of a good chunk of the roster (and future picks).

In Boston's case, you're pretty much packaging away our whole defense (besides Bradley) and becoming a team similar to OKC (one superstar + decent players), which clearly isn't enough to contend still.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller