Author Topic: Mavericks (2-7) at Celtics (5-5) Game #11 11/16/16  (Read 27375 times)

Mavericks (2-7) at Celtics (5-5) Game #11 11/16/16
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:29:11 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Dallas Mavericks (2-7)  at   Boston Celtics (5-5)
Wednesday, November 16, 2016
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #11 – Home Game #5
TV: CSN-NE, FSSW, NBA-LP 757(DTV)/754(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub, 103.3 FM ESPN
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Isaiah Thomas vs Deron Williams

Shooting Guard
vs
Marcus Smart vs Wesley Matthews

Small Forward

vs
Marcus Smart vs Harrison Barnes

Power Forward

vs
Kelly Olynyk vs Dirk Nowitski

Center

vs
Amir Johnson vs Andrew Bogut

Celtics Reserves

Jaylen Brown
Gerald Green
Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko
Tyler Zeller

Injuries

Al Horford  (concussion)  doubtful
Jae Crowder (ankle) out

Head Coach
Brad Stevens 

Mavs Reserves
Justin Anderson
Jose Juan Barea
Seth Curry
Dorian Finney Smith
AJ Hammons
Salah Mejri
Dwight Powell

Head Coach

Rick Carlisle

Game Notes 

The Celtics return from their 2 game road trip to face the Dallas Mavericks.  The Mavs have lost their last 2 games while the Celtics are coming off one loss, having won the first game of the road trip. 

The Mavs have won 7 straight games against the Celtics and 11 of their last 12 meetings.   Four of the last 5 wins have been by 5 points or less. The one Celtics win in the last 12 meetings was a 117-115 double-overtime win at Boston on 12/12/12.

The Mavs have been hampered by injuries as have the Celtics.  Deron Williams is questionable for this game and has missed the last 4 games with a calf injury.  Dirk Nowitski missed 2 games with an illness and then 4 games due to an Achilles strain.  He is also questionable for this game.  JJ Barea and Dorian Finney Smith will probably get the start should both be out again this game. 

Quincy Acy is questionable with a facial injury.  Devin Harris is expected to miss this game with a toe injury.  Jae Crowder will miss his 7th game with an ankle sprain.  Al Horford has been making progress but is still doubtful for this game as he goes through the league's concussion protocol.   Isaiah Thomas is expected to continue to play with an injured finger. 

Key Matchups
vs
Kelly Olynyk vs Dirk Nowitski
Dirk may be getting older, but he is still a dangerous player.  He is averaging 12.0 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.0 blocks.   Dirk can score both inside and out and so will be a tough matchup.  Dirk has averaged 26.0 points in 33 career games vs the Celtics,  the most he has averaged against any team in the league.  Dirk has been struggling with injuries and so he may or may not play in this one.

vs
Marcus Smart vs Harrison Barnes
Barnes is averaging 22.2 points and 5.9 rebounds per game.  With both Dirk and Deron battling injuries, Barnes has taken on the job of leading the team.  Marcus needs to keep him from having a big game.

Honorable Mention
Isaiah Thomas vs Deron Williams
Isaiah scored 37 points against the Pelicans but he was very inefficient as his shot is off due to the finger injury.  Hopefully he can be more efficient in this game.  Williams, who is averaging 15 points and 5.8 assists,  may or may not play in this game as he has been struggling with a calf injury. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics seem to be getting their defensive swagger back somewhat and they need to continue to play that tough in your face defense that has made them so successful in the past.  Defense wins games.  The Celtics are allowing 108.1 points per game and that won't get it done.  The Mavericks haven't been exactly locking down teams either, allowing 101.3 points per game. 

Rebound
- Much of rebounding is effort and the Celtics  have to put out extra effort to win the battle of the boards.  When they work hard on the boards, it usually follows through to the rest of the game as well.  The Celtics are averaging 41.3 rebounds per game while the Mavs are averaging 41.7 rebounds per game.  The Celtics will need to work very hard to get the rebounds in this game. 

Be Aggressive
-  The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team in going to the basket, diving for loose balls, going after 50/50 balls, grabbing rebounds, and just playing harder in general.  They have to be the team that wants it more.   

Run and Move the Ball - The Celtics are most effective when they run on every possession and move the ball to find the open man.  When they stop running and the ball stops moving,  they get into a slump and their scoring and defense both suffer.  They have to run up the court on offense and run back on defense to set up before the Mavs get back.  The Celtics are young and deep and need to use that to their advantage. 

X-Factors
Home Game - The Celtics are back home and should get a boost from the home crowd cheering them on.  Hopefully the hostile crowd will throw the Mavs off and give the Celtics the home court advantage. 

Effort -  The Celtics can't get complacent.  They have to play hard, be aggressive, run and move the ball.  If the effort is there, they have a good chance to win this game. 

Re: Mavericks (2-7) at Celtics (5-5) Game #11 11/16/16
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:30:14 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
TP

Let's win this one. Our games with Dallas are always good.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:33:12 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP alldaboston for being the first to post in the game thread!!

GOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!! 

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:29 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
TP

And always disappointing.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:30 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP  FLCeltsFan!!

Tough loss in Nawlins.

Some real positives, though, so we're headed in the right direction!

Here's to another bounce back win!!! 🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀👍👍👍👍👍👍

Beat those Mavs🐎🐎🐎🐎

Go Cs!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 10:56:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Barnes is balling in Dallas so far.  Averaging 22, 6, and 1.  3p% took a hit, but FG% and FT% up and a PER of 19.  Do work, Harry.

That said, Go Cs.  Gotta start putting together a good run.  Let's get Bae and Al excited to come back.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP FL
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:00:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
TP

And always disappointing.

lol, you right.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:04:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Barnes is balling in Dallas so far.  Averaging 22, 6, and 1.  3p% took a hit, but FG% and FT% up and a PER of 19.  Do work, Harry.

That said, Go Cs.  Gotta start putting together a good run.  Let's get Bae and Al excited to come back.

Jae Crowder is ruled indefinitely out for this game, so lets hope Horford comes back lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:06:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
A game thread! Great way to start a winning streak for the Celtics.

Tp for flc and a cheer for the Celtics.

Goooooooo Celtics!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 12:03:03 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I hope Al plays, but it seems pretty unlikely. I'm also super excited to see Barnes. When I've watched the Mavs/his highlights this year, he's been an absolute revelation. I'm eager to see a full game of his.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 12:46:56 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Jae Crowder is ruled indefinitely out for this game, so lets hope Horford comes back lol.

I really hope so too.  I made a comment about him in the last game thread that I later regretted, but I am really wanting to see him play.  I think he (and Jae) will make a big difference -- they're integral to what we're doing.  And at some point this season, hopefully, we acquire a big that can help address our weaknesses in the paint.  That could be a determining factor to us getting past the 1st round.

I hope Al plays, but it seems pretty unlikely. I'm also super excited to see Barnes. When I've watched the Mavs/his highlights this year, he's been an absolute revelation. I'm eager to see a full game of his.

Really looking forward to seeing him play. Bias aside, I always liked him and believed he could succeed outside of GS in the right situation.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 07:10:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Let's "toast" the Mavs!  Very creative FLCeltsfan.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 02:11:10 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
https://vine.co/v/5TerBnHYjvq
Dirk looks sooo old !

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388