Author Topic: Monday 4/3: Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft  (Read 119607 times)

Re: Top 20 draft prospects playing on TV tonight (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Funny, this time of year the mocks are all over the place. Nbadraft.net has Bryant in the 40s but DRaftexpress has him at 22, not far from the lottery, with plenty of time to move up...or down.

The times that I've watched him, he's looked real solid, kind of an anchor for the team. This from NBA draft.net:

Strengths: Possesses great length with a 7'5 wingspan, a 9'3.5 standing reach and solid athleticism … Competitor. Plays with great intensity, passion, and aggression … Hustles hard, runs the floor well ... Great finisher around the basket … Finishes well in transition but also knows how to play in a half court setting … Great rebounder. Crashes the glass on offense. Does an excellent job of keeping the ball high on offensive rebounds and not letting smaller defenders get a hand on it … Can face up and shoot, all the way out to the three if the defender is sagging off … Reliable, good teammate who has the ability to put his team on his back ... Active, doesn’t take plays off. Isn’t the type to stand around and wait for something to happen … Good defender. Active hands. Protects the paint, blocks shots, good help defender … Isn’t afraid to bang in the paint … His intensity and desire gives him a lot of promise as these are qualities you don't often find in a talented young bigman ...

Weaknesses: Not the most fluid or athletic player, but his great intensity helps combat this ... His great length gives him shot blocking potential, however he lacks explosive leaping ability ... Feet appear somewhat anchored to the floor as he isn't good at moving laterally ... Still needs to develop his low post game ... While he makes a high percentage of his shots in the paint, he needs to develop his footwork and back to the basket game moving forward ... He has made strides in filling out his frame over the past few years but still has room to get stronger ...

Outlook: Indiana landed a good one in Thomas Bryant. He does have an unorthodox playing style, one coach described as “awkward but effective”. Bryant has done a great job against players who received more praise by evaluators, often times outplaying them. After losing five top 100 players last season, he has stepped up as the leader of a very talented Huntington Prep team and should contribute as soon as he arrives on campus at Indiana.

Having a hard time thinking of a comp for him. They say Chris Kaman.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:18:26 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2016, 08:30:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Draft Express has a couple good videos up on Ball and Fox from yesterday's game.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Matchup-Video-Lonzo-Ball-vs-Kentucky-5730/

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Matchup-Video-DeAaron-Fox-vs-UCLA-5729/

Does anyone else find it impossible to listen to these with the sound on?  Just brutal music choices.
Geez, it is just one video of just one game, but ball looked utterly lost on defense. He has zero idea of how to play off a pick and basically didn't seem to care much.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Anyone as impressed with Ivan Rabb as I am? Guy looks like a lock for a top 5 pick even in this deep draft. Is averaging per 40 numbers of 25 ppg and 13 rpg!!! I was watching his game and he was hitting beautiful post fadeaways, finishing around the rim, and working on the block.

I think I'm falling in love with the idea of Ivan Rabb in a Celtics uniform.

« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Draft Express has a couple good videos up on Ball and Fox from yesterday's game.

Does anyone else find it impossible to listen to these with the sound on?  Just brutal music choices.
Geez, it is just one video of just one game, but ball looked utterly lost on defense. He has zero idea of how to play off a pick and basically didn't seem to care much.

I appreciate your candor of acknowledging "one video, one game".

Ball had a rough start heaving 3s especially. But, he came through when he needed to with some really timely plays.

He led his team to a win at Rupp, historically a difficult place to play, against the deserved #1 team in the country. Kentucky has arguably 4 players (Fox, Abedayo, Monk, who I think is their best player right now and Briscoe) who are better athletes than anyone except Ball on UCLA.

It took Ball a while to adjust to this type of collective athleticism that he has never faced before in a hostile environment, all the while playing all but 2 minutes of the game. His 38 minutes was more than any player on either team, as a freshman on a team with a bunch of upperclassmen. This is Ball's team, and he led them to a win.

And really, even if you look at the stat-line closely, he and Fox were not that far apart, despite the fact that Fox had a better supporting cast.

Ball and Fox are pretty close in my mind right now. Fox is an electric player, Ball is a winner.

« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Anyone as impressed with Ivan Rabb as I am? Guy looks like a lock for a top 5 pick even in this deep draft. Is averaging per 40 numbers of 25 ppg and 13 rpg!!! I was watching his game and he was hitting beautiful post fadeaways, finishing around the rim, and working on the block.

I think I'm falling in love with the idea of Ivan Rabb in a Celtics uniform.

I wish he had come out last year. A Brown-Rabb draft would have been great for us. I'm not sure that we'll have an opportunity to take him this year, unless something drastic happens to either make him jump way up (which would be great) or the Nets go on a run
I'm bitter.

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

I appreciate your candor of acknowledging "one video, one game".

Ball had a rough start heaving 3s especially. But, he came through when he needed to with some really timely plays.

He led his team to a win at Rupp, historically a difficult place to play, against the deserved #1 team in the country. Kentucky has arguably 4 players (Fox, Abedayo, Monk, who I think is their best player right now and Briscoe) who are better athletes than anyone except Ball on UCLA.

It took Ball a while to adjust to this type of collective athleticism that he has never faced before in a hostile environment, all the while playing all but 2 minutes of the game. His 38 minutes was more than any player on either team, as a freshman on a team with a bunch of upperclassmen. This is Ball's team, and he led them to a win.

And really, even if you look at the stat-line closely, he and Fox were not that far apart, despite the fact that Fox had a better supporting cast.

Ball and Fox are pretty close in my mind right now. Fox is an electric player, Ball is a winner.

Watching the game I got a pretty similar impression of Ball.  Lots of warts in his game, but has amazing court vision and length.  People keep dissing the form on his shot but I didn't think it was too bad, a little low on the release, but he's quick with it.  Has real NBA range.  Moves well, very fluid.  Needs to work on his strength and defensive intensity.

« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Not many potential draft picks to watch tonight.

UPDATE: Monday 12/5

7 p.m. ESPN2  Syracuse (the two Tylers, Lydon and Roberson)
                     vs UCONN (Amida Bridah)

8 p.m. SECN   Texas A&M   Robert Williams (this kid could be a monster)

« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2016, 07:15:22 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I just turned off the Syracuse UConn game. Couldn't watch.

PAINFUL

5 1/2 minutes into the game and the score was 3-2.

PITIFUL
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:34:49 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: Tuesday 12/6.....lots of draftees in action

7 p.m. ESPNU  MSU     Miles Bridges

7 p.m. ACCN    FSU     Jonathan Isaac, Dwayne Bacon

7 p.m. FS1       Cal      Ivan Rabb

8 p.m. ESPN3    Kan    Josh Jackson

9 p.m. ESPN      Duke  Tatum, Bolden, Allen (no Giles yet)

9 p.m. ESPN2    Texas  Jarrett Allen

10 p.m. PAC12N Arizona Markkanen, Alkins

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Michigan has a pretty weak frontcourt.  If Jarrett Allen can't get it going against them tonight, we need to take him off this list.

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I didn't know Tatum and Bolden are coming back. That is great news, I'm excited to watch Tatum especially.

From the clips I've seen of him, he reminds me of Paul Pierce. I think long term him and Jaylen will have enough size to be our starting 3/4 combo that switches everything.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Michigan has a pretty weak frontcourt.  If Jarrett Allen can't get it going against them tonight, we need to take him off this list.

I agree....Allen has looked weak (physically and mentally) and lost the times that I have seen him.

I didn't see his last game vs "Bama, but he started and only played 19 minutes with 0 RB, 0 Assts, 0 steals, 1 block, 3 TO and 4 fouls.

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

I didn't know Tatum and Bolden are coming back. That is great news, I'm excited to watch Tatum especially.

From the clips I've seen of him, he reminds me of Paul Pierce. I think long term him and Jaylen will have enough size to be our starting 3/4 combo that switches everything.

This is their second game back. Tatum played 20 minutes and Bolden 12 in that first game. Supposedly Giles has been practicing with the team but no word on when he's going to play for the first time.

this from the Duke Chronicle:

The good news for the Blue Devils is that Tatum and Bolden showed flashes of what made them two of the most highly-touted recruits in the country a year ago. Although Tatum finished with 10 points on just 2-of-8 shooting from the floor in 20 minutes before cramping up, the swingman showed the ability to get to the basket at will in transition.

Bolden was the first player off the bench for Duke Saturday and was largely held in check outside of consecutive putbacks in the second half. The big man finished with seven points and five rebounds in just 12 minutes, but will likely see more time Tuesday.

Duke's being cautious with them as they should be.

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Caught the second half of the Duke game, Tatum was very impressive.  A more polished Jaylen Brown. Kennard continues to impress.  No Bolden.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I agree....Allen has looked weak (physically and mentally) and lost the times that I have seen him.

I didn't see his last game vs "Bama, but he started and only played 19 minutes with 0 RB, 0 Assts, 0 steals, 1 block, 3 TO and 4 fouls.

Another poor outing by Allen.  6 points and 4 boards in 3-6 shooting.  Also 4 TOs and fouled out.  Michigan's bigs, who both look like 2018 second rounders at best, thoroughly outplayed him.

Allen needs to be dropped from this thread.  He would be foolish to enter the draft the way he's played, and teams would be foolish to draft him.