Author Topic: Monday 4/3: Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft  (Read 120590 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Very interesting TP. The more I think about it, the less I can say staying in college OR going to the nba are signs of maturity. For example, the point you said about working on your game shows maturity, while some players may stay because they dont want to change their future (sign of immaturity.)

On the other hand, going to the nba right away because you think you are a top dog and dont have to work on your game is a sign of immaturity. Or if you realize you have reached the peak of your college development, and you can only get better against much better players (even as a freshy), that is mature. Or say you grew up in poverty, your parents live in poverty, and you are projected as a first round pick. You decide that while you love college, your family needs you to escape the cycle of poverty, so you go pro. Worst case scenario you bust hard, and ONLY make a few million. Your family is most likely better off now (assuming you dont blow it like an idiot.) That is a mature decision.

Basically I think I cant say its immature or mature one way or the other. Anyone can make either decision, and their personal reasons are what make it mature or immature. TP for giving me fuel to think about this more.

TP back atcha for the incisive, insightful post.

You got right to the core of the matter, inferring that motive and circumstance are far more determinative of maturity than specific acts in isolation. I agree.

Regarding Bacon, this from nbadraft.net prior to the 2015-2016 season. He was projected first round last year. Bacon probably didn't read this (or maybe he did) but it sure seems like that in retrospect that he took his Weaknesses (criticisms) to heart.

Strengths: Bacon is a wiry and long guard that can get off the ground explosively ... Explosive leaper ... Is lightening quick in the open floor ... Active in all areas and can have an impact from anywhere on the court ... Excels when going through the lane ... Terrific at finishing at the rim ... Will find creative ways to get contested shots to drop ... Plays well above the rim ... Improved his jump shot over his high school career ... Can now effectively score the ball from many spots on the court ... Has deep range ... Has the traits to develop into a high-level defender ... At his best and most comfortable on offense with the ball in his hand ... Dribbles the ball like a point guard ... Has the ball on a string at all times ... Able to both start and finish any fast break ... Uses his size to look over the defense and spot open players in traffic ... Capable of getting into the lane whenever he wants too ... Uses his length to wreak havoc in passing lanes ... Athletic enough to stick with just about any player on the perimeter ...

Weaknesses: Needs to develop a greater understanding of the game ... Can score at will, but seems to be naive to some of the subtle nuances of basketball ... Has to become better at playing off the ball ... Also will need to develop a midrange game as he continues to move up in levels of play ... Capable of making deep threes, yet isn't as consistent of a shooter as one would expect ... Has a tendency to let his demeanor and attitude change depending on whether he is having a good game or not ... Often interacts too much with referees and opposing players ... Teeters the line between cocky and confident ... Needs to show front offices that he has the desire and love of the game to put in the necessary work to become a great player ...

Notes: Selected to 2015 McDonald's All-American and Jordan Brand Classic games ... Measured in at 6'5" 202 lbs with a 6'8" wingspan at 2013 Nike Elite 100 camp ... Looked to have noticeably filled out his frame during the 2015 high school all-star events ...

Overall: Bacon has the skill and size to make an immediate impact next year at Florida State. His main areas of development will come in terms of personality. He could probably suit up in a NBA game now and score, but needs to continue to sharpen his all around game. It will be interesting to see how he meshes with Xavier Rathan-Mayes at FSU next year, was always the alpha dog (even at Oak Hill Academy). If he is capable of putting everything together could become one of the best prospects in the entire 2016 class.

Brandon Jefferson 7/9/15

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: Thursday, 12/15

Pretty slim pickings tonite:

7 p.m.     ESPNU   NC State     Smith, Yurtseven still suspended

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I was wrong.

Prized recruit, Yurtseven will play in his first NCAA game back from suspension foR NC State.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Saturday 12/18  Prospect watching

Noon  ESPN2 -  Arizona: Markannen vs.  Texas A&M: Robert Williams

Noon  ESPN  -  Syracuse:  Lydon

1:30   FS2  -   Florida St:  Isaaac, Bacon

3:00   CBS  -   UCLA:   Ball, Leaf

5:00   BTN   -   Indiana:  Anunoby, Bryant

5:45   CBS   -   Kentucky:  Fox, Monk, Bam

7:00  ESPN2  -   Kansas:  Jackson

8:00   FS1  -  Xavier:  Sumner

8:00   Pac12   -   California:  Rabb

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Saturday 12/18  Prospect watching

Noon  ESPN2 -  Arizona: Markannen vs.  Texas A&M: Robert Williams

Noon  ESPN  -  Syracuse:  Lydon

1:30   FS2  -   Florida St:  Isaaac, Bacon

3:00   CBS  -   UCLA:   Ball, Leaf

5:00   BTN   -   Indiana:  Anunoby, Bryant

5:45   CBS   -   Kentucky:  Fox, Monk, Bam

7:00  ESPN2  -   Kansas:  Jackson

8:00   FS1  -  Xavier:  Sumner

8:00   Pac12   -   California:  Rabb

TP, tazz for the update.

Also, if anyone is up late and wants to watch college hoops, Oregon is playing at 11:00 EST on ESPN2;

4 fun guys to watch there are, who will most likely be 2nd round picks, but I can see Boucher sneaking into the first:

Boucher
Bell
Brooks
Dorsey.

This Oregon team is gaining steam and I look forward to them hosting UCLA later this month. I think that they have a shot a beating them.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
dang,  robert williams,  ordinary name,  extraordinary prospect.  dudes a beast.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
 I am on the Williams bandwagon. I have been on it since the John Wooden classic title game versus UCLA A few weeks ago.  The guy can one  The floor, rebound like an animal and block shots with the fiesta competitive nature.

The other two guys that I like today who played for Arizona aside from Markkanen are Alkins and Simons, probably second rounders.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I am on the Williams bandwagon. I have been on it since the John Wooden classic title game versus UCLA A few weeks ago.  The guy can one  The floor, rebound like an animal and block shots with the fiesta competitive nature.

The other two guys that I like today who played for Arizona aside from Markkanen are Alkins and Simons, probably second rounders.
Markannen and Williams looked really good today.  Didn't realize Alkins was just a freshmen.  He and Simmons would probably be better off staying at Arizona for another year.  Another potential prospect is Allonzo Trier.  He looked good in his freshman season but is now in some NCAA limbo.  If it goes on much longer, he ought to leave and go to the D League. 

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
all the zona kids could use another year.  simmons and markaanen need the weight room.  alkins needs to refine his skills.   saw them play in tucson recently.  alkins already has the nba body like richard jefferson.   

trier is a scorer. not sure what he does in the nba.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
all the zona kids could use another year.  simmons and markaanen need the weight room.  alkins needs to refine his skills.   saw them play in tucson recently.  alkins already has the nba body like richard jefferson.   

trier is a scorer. not sure what he does in the nba.
Markkanen will be a lottery pick.  Probably top 10.  He's not going to gain anything by staying at Arizona for another year.  He'll develop better with NBA training and coaching. 

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Malik Monk is absolutely unconscious.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Not sure exactly where to put this, here it is.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/harry-giles-close-to-return-from-injury-says-duke-assistant-jeff-capel/

We may see Giles soon.
It was already posted in the Harry Giles thread that he may make his debut on Monday. Thanks for that link though as there wasn't one in his thread.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
To recap yesterday, Kentucky versus North Carolina was a great game and really fun to watch.  Monk and Fox showed why they're top 10 prospects.  I'll give kudos to Justin Jackson who I haven't thought much of.  He really stepped up and hit some tough shots to offset Monk's onslaught.  Hopefully there will be a repeat in the final four. 

Arizona versus Texas A&M turned into a real nail biter at the end with Robert Williams being the key for A&M's comeback.  If he keeps improving, he could end up late lottery.  Markkanen showed all the skills for an NBA stretch 4.  If the Nets pick isn't top 5, I'd be happy taking him to replace Olynyk. 

Also got to watch Ball and Jackson perform well again and Tyler Lydon stepped up to have a very nice game. 

Re: Sunday12/18: Top draft prospects playing on TV tonight (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Yeah that Kentucky Carolina game was insane.  Thought NC was going to pull it out, but Monk hit a big shot.  Monk was unconscious, but I still come away even more impressed with Fox.  As you said, Jackson seems to be really emerging, he's always been an intriguing player because of his length and athleticism, finally starting to develop consistent offensive skills.