Author Topic: Ranking the top 10 rookies and prospects from the 2016 draft (Chad Ford)  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19058283/ranking-top-10-rookies-2016-draftees-future-potential-nba

Anyone got insider? Be interested to see where Jaylen is ranked, I hope that they don't rank Jamal Murray ahead of him

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Yabusele and Zizic  in top  5 of "true Rookies" Very interesting indeed. Havent even read down to Jaylen yet lol

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
So far, so good, and it's nice to see another data point suggesting that we had a good draft, but I'm leery of ranking anyone who hasn't played a second of NBA ball.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
So far, so good, and it's nice to see another data point suggesting that we had a good draft, but I'm leery of ranking anyone who hasn't played a second of NBA ball.

TP. I find that list just absolute rubbish.

Not that getting 3 of the top 7 draftees wouldn't thrill me as a Celtics fan but when 3 of your top 5 - Simmons, Yabu and Zizic - haven't played a second of pro ball then I think it's just a bad list.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Pretty exciting to see both of them rank Yabu and Zizic so high. Of course I hope they're right about their potential.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:37:54 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

TP. I find that list just absolute rubbish.

Not that getting 3 of the top 7 draftees wouldn't thrill me as a Celtics fan but when 3 of your top 5 - Simmons, Yabu and Zizic - haven't played a second of pro ball then I think it's just a bad list.

Hard to see players flaws when they haven't played.  It's similar to how Fultz doesn't get his deficiencies picked at because he hasn't played in 6 weeks.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Don't think this list is accurate at all. Ranking Yabusele and zizic ahead of Brown and Ingram is silly

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Don't think this list is accurate at all. Ranking Yabusele and zizic ahead of Brown and Ingram is silly

i'd like to believe that there is chance of this happeining but i too thing the list is BS

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

i'd like to believe that there is chance of this happeining but i too thing the list is BS

This is what happens with sabrametrics. They are projecting future performance of Yabs and Zizic based on their stats in other leagues, which is of questionable validity.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This is what happens with sabrametrics. They are projecting future performance of Yabs and Zizic based on their stats in other leagues, which is of questionable validity.
Ford doesn't use mathematical projections but Pelton does.

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think this combo gets worse and worse with each publication. Ford is constantly coming up with these absurd evaluations of players. Skal at 2? Get real. The kid has progressed but you cant say that a months worth of numbers offsets those of Ingram and Brown's. He is carrying an old bias into that eval and its clear as day.

I like Pelton but his use of jsut straight numbers clouds his eval at times hense you have Brogdon over Ingram on a list that's supposed to eval potential. Brogdon is more productive than Ingram on a consistent basis but Im not sure you are going to find may people that would say at 24 Brogdon has more potential than 19 year old Ingram. It just gets silly at times.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think this combo gets worse and worse with each publication. Ford is constantly coming up with these absurd evaluations of players. Skal at 2? Get real. The kid has progressed but you cant say that a months worth of numbers offsets those of Ingram and Brown's. He is carrying an old bias into that eval and its clear as day.

I like Pelton but his use of jsut straight numbers clouds his eval at times hense you have Brogdon over Ingram on a list that's supposed to eval potential. Brogdon is more productive than Ingram on a consistent basis but Im not sure you are going to find may people that would say at 24 Brogdon has more potential than 19 year old Ingram. It just gets silly at times.
yeah this list is really pathetic.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Was this list posted on April Fools?

I mean, I like Juancho plenty and Skal has had a nice second half of the season, but this list is pretty silly.

I understand not placing all your emphasis on the eye test and trying to ground your analysis in the numbers somewhat. 

Still, if you want to go ahead and say that Yabusele is a better NBA prospect right now based on what we've seen than Jaylen Brown, I'm gonna call bull-pucky.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just cut out anybody with zero NBA minutes.