Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas?  (Read 4060 times)

Isaiah Thomas?
« on: November 15, 2016, 04:44:14 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Is it time to start thinking about selling high on him now?

Look at it from these two perspectives:

1. He is a cost-controlled All Star level talent for the next 1 1/2 years.
2. Is he really 1 of 3 max contract players you want on your team? At $30m per year?

I understand that point 1 in my argument is equally an argument to hold onto him. I just see now as an inflection point to make a move on him while his stock is as high as it will ever be.

Re: Isaiah Thomas?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is it time to start thinking about selling high on him now?

Look at it from these two perspectives:

1. He is a cost-controlled All Star level talent for the next 1 1/2 years.
2. Is he really 1 of 3 max contract players you want on your team? At $30m per year?

I understand that point 1 in my argument is equally an argument to hold onto him. I just see now as an inflection point to make a move on him while his stock is as high as it will ever be.
Yes, let's sell. I mean, we can probably fit five Tyler Zellers in his salary slot!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:06:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If you can move him for a more talented star/franchise player, sure.  But chances are, you are going to want IT next to that star and the other team is more interested in the rebuild pieces.

But to get a prospect, or the poo-poo platter is pointless and a step back. 

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No. Seriously, what is the fascination with trading away our players?

For all the complaining over the past few years that we don't have an All-star, when we finally get one, we want to trade him?

How about we support out guys?

Apparently, IT hasn't stopped improving. His vision has been stellar this year and his shooting percentage is up. I still wish his 3 point percentage would rise more, but he is a top 10 offensive player in the league.

I'd say he is a top 5 driver too. Who would you put ahead of him? Lebron, Harden, Westbrook, maybe Derozan, then who? I mean, there are guys who may be better all-around scorers, but there isn't anyone else who is a better driver.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
there is not much people whom I want to trade IT for, he is playing at a very high level right now, 20+ pt and 8 ast a game. he is as good as they come. If we are to trade him it will have to be in the tiers of Damian Lillard type of players.

We lose a lot by trading away IT, because there isn't one player on the Celtics that can score the way that he scores.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
At this time, without an extraordinary return for Thomas, which, we can assured Ainge will try for, trading IT is a "tank" move. C's have no offensive threat without him.

Ainge would love to trade anyone on this roster if it gets him a title, including Thomas.The question is what could be get for him? A contender loses their starting PG before the deadline? Is that what has to happen? Ainge is lurking. I just wish it took months instead of years.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is a half-baked idea: Only half the deal is mentioned.  Who are we trading him for?  Without a fully thought-out trade proposal, risk the wrath of CB forum posters!

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you want to trade him you have to tell me where the Celts are getting a top scoring option to replace him. 

If that scoring option isn't a point guard, you also need to tell me where the Celts are getting an above average starting point guard to put in his place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 12:36:32 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Stop these threads.

First off, why do we want to trade our best players? Do you actually wanna be worse than we already are?

Second, he will not (repeat: WILL NOT) fetch you much value in a trade. Most teams in the NBA already have their franchise point guard, and don't need Isaiah. He's not gonna get you much in a trade. This leads me to my second point. If no one will give up much for him, what makes you think he will successfully receive a max contract after his current contract is up? Those same teams that won't trade for him are not gonna sign him either, especially at the amount that he wants. Why then, should we worry about him pouting and wanting a max contract? No other team will give him one, for the same reasons that we're scared of giving him one.

Therefore, I think it's very obvious that Isaiah will sign a team friendly deal in the summer of 2018 to stay with the Celtics, who have essentially been his home and the only team that actually took him seriously and let him do what he wanted. That stuff matters to Isaiah too. He's not just chasing the money (even though we heard the Brinks trucks comment and all).

To conclude, he won't get you good return in a trade, since teams are wary of his height and because teams already have their franchise point guards already. Therefore, it's unlikely that they'll give him a max contract either, for those same reasons. As such, it makes sense that he will return to the Celtics on a moderately priced deal. Case closed.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
Yes there are many teams who possess their franchise PG but perhaps they have other team needs and are top heavy, where downgrading to IT while adding other nice pieces is a value proposition which will resonate.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'd pick one of these "stud" pgs in the draft using Brooklyn's pick, then trade IT for whatever you can get. I don't see us paying him $30m a year, and I think another team will.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:03 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Yes there are many teams who possess their franchise PG but perhaps they have other team needs and are top heavy, where downgrading to IT while adding other nice pieces is a value proposition which will resonate.

Are you saying that there's a team out there that would want Isaiah AND another of our rotation guys, and would trade their franchise point guard, for our two players? I'd be interested to know which team(s) you had in mind.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
Russell Westbrook?

3 way trade between BOS/OKC/PHI:

To BOS: Westbrook
To OKC: Johnson/Crowder/Smart/Covington/Noel/Brooklyn Pick (one not both)
To PHI: Thomas

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
How would you ensure Russ signs here in that deal?

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
Russ just signed an extension. Have him under control for this +2.