Author Topic: Rival Exec: "Kings have 3 months, tops" to trade Cousins  (Read 1824 times)

Rival Exec: "Kings have 3 months, tops" to trade Cousins
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I saw this reported on TheScore earlier and didn't see any one post it.  Here are some nuggets:

With the talented big man set to become a free agent at the end of next season, one rival executive believes the 26-year-old could be traded in the coming months.

"I’d say they have three months, tops," a Western Conference general manager told the Sporting News' Sean Deveney. "Probably more like a month, or month-and-a-half, because the closer they get to the (February trade) deadline, the less they’re going to get back. If you’re trying to trade him the week of the deadline, it’s going to be tougher."

Cousins' availability has been a hot topic of late, as minority owner Shaquille O'Neal said last week that the Kings "may be looking to go in a different direction."

Despite Cousins' immense talent, there are still executives across the league that are refusing to give up too much for a player they believe could negatively affect their locker room.

"It is not going to happen unless the Kings cave a little," the West GM said. "No one is going to give up too much for someone who might ruin your team’s chemistry this year, then ruin it next year when he is playing for free-agent money. If they don’t see that, then I don’t think it changes and I don’t think he goes anywhere. I don’t know that is good for them or for him, either. But that’s the reality."

Interested to hearing others' thoughts.  This is coming from Sporting News' Sean Deveney via a western conference GM, may be some posturing there.  Wondering if others think:  a) There's validity to the rumor that the Kings are considering moving him, and b) If a trade could come in the next 3 months.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Rival Exec: "Kings have 3 months, tops" to trade Cousins
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
No offense... But you didn't need to make another thread, might as well merge it in the Boogie Watch.

And yes, I saw that too, on Bleacherreport, and its basically stating what everyone has been saying...

Kings are better off shipping Demarcus Cousins out, before its too late, or risk losing him for nothing, or lesser valuable assets. No matter how loyal Cousins ultimately speaks about himself being, I seriously don't think he's going to waste his precious prime by returning for another hellish tenure with the Kings. They literally are the worst and poorly run franchise right now. They have literally failed on every lottery pick, missed out on free agents, constant multiple coaches, (which maybe should be attributed to Cousins,) and having a streaking losing season.

The Kings would have to bring in a bonafide Allstar, or Superstar that could maybe be the push to get his team to the Finals. But the Kings don't have the leverage nor the time to waste, by trying to posture, and play hard to get.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:11:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I watched the SAC/LAL game and I'm slowly becoming not a fan more and more every time I watch him (which is only 5 times per season or so).  I can't stand the missing shots then complaining to the refs while Larry Nance sprints up the court to get buckets on the other end.  Drives me crazy.  I don't see that ever changing about Demarcus.  Not a true superstar in my eyes.  I think I'd rather have a second or third tier "superstar" like Jimmy Butler who plays hard on both ends every possession.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
No offense taken, Monk.  I didn't notice the Boogie thread -- I see someone else shared the BR link earlier.  Perhaps this should be merged, then.

Kings are better off shipping Demarcus Cousins out, before its too late, or risk losing him for nothing, or lesser valuable assets. No matter how loyal Cousins ultimately speaks about himself being, I seriously don't think he's going to waste his precious prime by returning for another hellish tenure with the Kings. They literally are the worst and poorly run franchise right now. They have literally failed on every lottery pick, missed out on free agents, constant multiple coaches, (which maybe should be attributed to Cousins,) and having a streaking losing season.

The Kings would have to bring in a bonafide Allstar, or Superstar that could maybe be the push to get his team to the Finals. But the Kings don't have the leverage nor the time to waste, by trying to posture, and play hard to get.

They are definitely a mess of a franchise and it's hard to imagine that he doesn't see it or just doesn't care.  I get that's the common narrative, I just don't think I buy it.  Unless he just really enjoys being a big fish in a small, crummy pond.

Not sure how likely it is that the Sac lands a star.  It sounds like they're being lowballed by everyone, and it also seems doubtful that their FO could manage to agree to terms on a trade they'd be comfortable with. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:23:32 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I watched the SAC/LAL game and I'm slowly becoming not a fan more and more every time I watch him (which is only 5 times per season or so).  I can't stand the missing shots then complaining to the refs while Larry Nance sprints up the court to get buckets on the other end.  Drives me crazy.  I don't see that ever changing about Demarcus.  Not a true superstar in my eyes.  I think I'd rather have a second or third tier "superstar" like Jimmy Butler who plays hard on both ends every possession.

I've never been high on his personality, either.  Last year Pho had stated (paraphrasing) that he believed DC would be best-suited as a leading scorer but not the strongest presence in the locker room of a successful team.  I'm on board with that.  If he wasn't too costly and the locker room remained strong, Boogie would be an awesome acquisition, though.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:31:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Pretty obvious statement given where the trade deadline is.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Pretty obvious statement given where the trade deadline is.

Thanks for your dissemination of creative thought.

Do you believe they're finally open to trading him? 

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 07:34:12 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I've never been high on his personality, either.  Last year Pho had stated (paraphrasing) that he believed DC would be best-suited as a leading scorer but not the strongest presence in the locker room of a successful team.  I'm on board with that.  If he wasn't too costly and the locker room remained strong, Boogie would be an awesome acquisition, though.

I've been saying that all along. One of the best landing spots for Boogie is in Boston because there's a strong locker room coupled with a strong front office. Brad + Danny are signed for half a decade or longer. Crowder, AI and Horford make up a great trio of vets with strong personalities and work ethics with Smart as another up-and-coming leader. There are few teams who can offer that combo.

Between that combo of the stable FO and locker room, Cousins would find little wiggle room for his more disruptive antics. He'd come into a winning situation, a winning history and an exceptional support network. If he can't thrive here, he can't thrive anywhere. I think he could - and most likely would - just put his head down and play without all the BS distractions that he puts up in Sacramento. And a focused and happy Boogie Cousins is a force to be reckoned with - one that could very well put us in the running for the whole ball of wax.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Bare minimum for Boogie.  Zeller and our 10th man.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Boogie and IT dont get along

And when they played on the same team they didnt get anywhere either

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Boogie and IT dont get along

Someone tell them that.  They're good friends and Cousins has been upset with the Kings that he left and continued to get better while they got nothing.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 09:07:22 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think the new CBA will make it easier to extend players under contract.  This may prevent his free agency from being a distraction when he is traded.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 09:18:35 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
I honestly don't see Cousins getting too far out of line if he comes here.

We have Brad Stevens, Danny Ainge, Tommy Heinsohn... So many guys to respect and look up to, guys who have won championships and directed and witnessed many others. He has nobody like that in Sacramento.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't be a hothead, or get some unnecessary T's now and then. But I do think he would try to honor the tradition here, the guy is angry because he wants to win, and there is literally no leadership in that organization. He would have that leadership and stability here.

Imagine Smart on the Kings - does anyone think he'd be a model citizen in the midst of that culture? I think he'd go crazy there.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:33:45 PM by kraidstar »

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I've been saying that all along. One of the best landing spots for Boogie is in Boston because there's a strong locker room coupled with a strong front office. Brad + Danny are signed for half a decade or longer. Crowder, AI and Horford make up a great trio of vets with strong personalities and work ethics with Smart as another up-and-coming leader. There are few teams who can offer that combo.

Between that combo of the stable FO and locker room, Cousins would find little wiggle room for his more disruptive antics. He'd come into a winning situation, a winning history and an exceptional support network. If he can't thrive here, he can't thrive anywhere. I think he could - and most likely would - just put his head down and play without all the BS distractions that he puts up in Sacramento. And a focused and happy Boogie Cousins is a force to be reckoned with - one that could very well put us in the running for the whole ball of wax.

I love that you called IT, Iverson (AI).

As for the quotes in the OP, I agree that they need to trade him before the trade dealine in order to get maximum value, but I disagree that that he will be a distraction in trying to get his own because of his impending free agency. Cousins will absolutely be getting a max contract - it doesn't matter how many points he scores in the next 1 1/2 years.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Just write a check

We need a big who can get his buckets