Author Topic: Trade Idea: Marcin Gortat  (Read 1428 times)

Trade Idea: Marcin Gortat
« on: November 13, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Gortat is off to a pretty solid start in Washington, but just made headlines for calling out the team's bench and poor play.  The Wizards are 2-7 and have looked pretty bad to start the year.

Gortat makes 12 million and is signed through 2018-2019.  If things continue to go south in Washington I think he could be a good buy low candidate.  He is averaging 12 boards a game right now and would fill a big hole at center while allowing Al to play more of a power forward/point forward role.

Amir Johnson would be the likely candidate as their salaries match.  The Wizards could free up some cap space next year by not bringing back Amir and perhaps look to go with a younger core of Wall, Beal, and Porter.

Amir plus some minor players and picks?  Overall Gortat seems like someone we could get while still holding on to our top assets, such as the Brooklyn picks and Brown.

Still early, but something I think we should be keeping an eye on.

Thoughts?

Re: Trade Idea: Marcin Gortat
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Good thought. There are a few buy-low candidates like this around the league. I've been thinking about trades like this as well.

Here's is what I come back to: with as much parody as the Pelicans and Kings both have, I cannot see us doing anything, especially with Johnson's contract.

It would suck to have waited for several years for a star to finally become available, only to make a short-term move that restricts our ability to go after him. For that reason, I'd rather ride with what we have, endure our weaknesses, continue to develop our youth, and wait some more.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Good thought. There are a few buy-low candidates like this around the league. I've been thinking about trades like this as well.

Here's is what I come back to: with as much parody as the Pelicans and Kings both have, I cannot see us doing anything, especially with Johnson's contract.

It would suck to have waited for several years for a star to finally become available, only to make a short-term move that restricts our ability to go after him. For that reason, I'd rather ride with what we have, endure our weaknesses, continue to develop our youth, and wait some more.
Maybe we could do a three way with Gortat going to SAC and Boogie coming here. That way they get legit center too. SAC could give them WCS back with us sending wings and picks to SAC. Just a thought.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The Polish Hammer!

Just for the name alone.  ;D

Pretty sweet tat on his left arm of the hammer as well.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I just don't see him as the guy worth choking off next years cap space for. 

With just IT as an all-star level player, the Celtics were able to sign Horford.

Now with IT and Horford as star level players, could the Celtics convince someone to be the third star?   

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I just don't see him as the guy worth choking off next years cap space for. 

With just IT as an all-star level player, the Celtics were able to sign Horford.

Now with IT and Horford as star level players, could the Celtics convince someone to be the third star?
With the way rozier and smart are maturing we may already have our third star. I am hopeful that Crowder grows more too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek