Author Topic: Lonzo Ball is the Real Deal  (Read 8249 times)

Re: Lonzo Ball is the Real Deal
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Ball has a shot that only a mother could love.

I'm not sure if we need another guy that can get to the basket but has shooting issues....

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 08:59:44 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I'm not sure if we need another guy that can get to the basket but has shooting issues....

Actually, even with that butt ugly shot, he is killing it from 3 at 48.6%.

I don't know...I kind of dismissed his game at first but what he's doing and how he's doing it...it's eye-opening.

FG% / 3P% / FT% / REB / AST / BLK / STL / PTS
.574/ .486 /.727  /5.3   / 9.1  / 0.9  / 1.3  / 16.0

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ball always been a pretty good shooter? It's just that his awkward form makes it look like an accident every time it goes in. But it keeps going in.

I was surprised early on when people were talking about him like 'if only he could shoot'. He can!

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He can really shoot despite the form. Form looks similar to Kevin Martin and he could also really shoot.

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
will he be able to get his shot off against length and quickness of NBA

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 09:50:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
will he be able to get his shot off against length and quickness of NBA

Why not? Kevin Martin made a career out of it.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Googled to see if anyone has noticed the similarity in form between Ball and Martin and The LA Times had this:
Ball tinkered with his shot during the overseas trip, and it didn’t go well. His form is a bit unorthodox, resembling the stroke of former NBA shooting guard Kevin Martin. He decided to move his release point from the left side of his body to his right, and the switch led to his shooting only 25% and earning a rebuke from his father upon his return.

“When he came back, I said, ‘I’ve got to reboot him,’” said LaVar Ball, a former forward at Washington State who finished his college career at Cal State Los Angeles and also played on a couple of NFL practice squads.

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 12:10:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Lonzo Ball will get his 1st real test this Saturday at 12:30 on CBS when UCLA plays Kentucky.  Should be a fun game to watch as both teams are very fast paced and have several good draft prospects. 

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Ball isn't quite as spectacular as Jason Kidd was but Ball got some of Kidd's game. His jump shot will push him down in the draft but if he ever develops one he'll be an all-star for life.

We'll see how Kentucky defends him. They'll throw a lot at him. Kentucky is a beast of a team and I can't wait to see them play Duke in the final 4 :)

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ball isn't quite as spectacular as Jason Kidd was but Ball got some of Kidd's game. His jump shot will push him down in the draft but if he ever develops one he'll be an all-star for life.

We'll see how Kentucky defends him. They'll throw a lot at him. Kentucky is a beast of a team and I can't wait to see them play Duke in the final 4 :)
Ball is shooting a high percentage.  If that continues, I don't think his form matters that much.  I'll be happy when all the Duke freshman are playing. 

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The kid looks impressive. He has some pretty good athleticism. Actually, he has some really good athleticism - he's not going to jump through the gym but he looks like he's moving faster than most anyone else out there.

What impresses most is how smooth he is with the ball and passing. He makes things looks easy. No looks, behind the backs, dribbling - the kid has a feel for he ball as if it's a part of him. His court vision looks pretty good too but I wonder how well he does in the half court set. For instance, I don't see him bounce passing it down low to big men and that should be a staple for him. But otherwise he looks as smooth as peanut butter out there.

The shot looks weird but it goes in. RJ Hunter looked great shooting it and it didn't go in. So I'm okay with a weird looking shot. At the same time, I worry about that exceptionally low release point. He's going to have a very hard time getting that off in the pros.

But unless he's head-and-shoulders the best prospect out there, I don't see the Cs grabbing him because they don't need another PG.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 08:18:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
My concern with him was that his dad was his only real coach ever and he just made up some super weird system for him and his brothers, but he's producing at the college level with a new coach.  I am impressed for sure.

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Giles the only kid who intrigues me. Hope his knees are okay. He looks incredible on tape. Really fills a need for us.

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 09:34:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Someone ought to take his high school coach out to the woodshed. He release point on his shot is low and he does not look like an elite athlete ( looks like a D-1 athlete but not NBA level) though he does possess some skills and good basketball IQ.   Take a look at his dunks:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2016/11/12/uclas-lonzo-ball-threw-down-a-nasty-alleyoop-poster-dunk-complete-with-a-stare-down/93697528/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p2IxHqshk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1t_vMBH2A

What I mean by the D-1 athlete is in the dunks I seen his head is barely above the net on them.   They might look great to a guy who can't dunk but they are pretty mediocre throw downs folks.

I am not crazy about the low release on his shot.  At the next level, I have to think with NBA athletes, that might get blocked quite a bit.  He can ball but is he the real deal, I think he needs to show a lot more.  Right now teams are playing their cupcake portion of their schedules.

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Lonzo Ball does it ALL!

Man,16-10-5 and 4/9 from three  with at least two blocks inside the paint and MVP of the Wooden Legacy Tourney.

Despite being  obviously the most skilled player on the floor, his biggest contribution to me was the maturity and  leadership beyond his years that he demonstrated. On one play, he grabbed his teammate, Holiday, so that he wouldn't go after a Texas A&M player after he was hard fouled.  One another, he was barking at his veteran teammate Alford to bring the ball across half-court quicker to avoid a violation.

Skill, poise, leadership and situational awareness. The kid has it all!

And that shot...it works