Author Topic: Celtics (4-4) at Pacers (4-5) Game #9 11/12/16  (Read 28515 times)

Celtics (4-4) at Pacers (4-5) Game #9 11/12/16
« on: November 11, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11843
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (4-4) at Indiana Pacers (4-5)
Saturday, November 12, 2016
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #9, Road Game #5
TV: CSNNE, FSI, NBA-LP 752(DTV)/752(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 1070 The Fan
Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Isaiah Thomas vs Jeff Teague

Shooting Guard

vs
Avery Bradley vs Monta Ellis

Small Forward
vs
Marcus Smart vs Paul George

Power Forward

vs 
Kelly Olynyk vs Thaddeus Young

Center
vs
Amir Johnson vs Myles Turner 

Celtics Reserves

Jaylen Brown
Gerald Green
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko
Tyler Zeller

Injuries
Al Horford  (concussion) possible
Jae Crowder (ankle) out
Demetrius Jackson  (Red Claws)  out

Head Coach
Brad Stevens 

Pacers Reserves
Lavoy Allen
Aaron Brooks
Rakeem Christmas
Al Jefferson
CJ Miles
Georges Niang
Glenn Robinson
Kevin Seraphin
Joe Young

Injuries

Rodney Studkey (hamstring)  out

Head Coach
Nate McMillan

Game Notes

The Celtics begin a 2 game road trip with a visit to the Indiana Pacers.  Both the Celtics and the Pacers are playing on the second night of back to back games.  The Pacers lost in overtime in Philadelphia on Friday night and the Celtics beat the Knicks at home so both teams also travel overnight.  The Celtics will complete the road trip on Monday when they travel to New Orleans to face the Pelicans. 

Brad Stevens shook up the starting lineup against the Knicks with good results.  They had Gino time for the first time this season after a 115-87 win over the Knicks.  I expect Smart to start at small forward again in this game.  If Horford plays, he may start in place of Kelly or he may come off the bench to ease him back in. 

Indiana has struggled on the road so far this season, losing their first 5 games away from home.  They have played strong at home, however, winning all 4 games played there.   The Celtics have also struggled somewhat on the road, going 1-3 away from TD Garden so far.

The Celtics were expected to be second in the East with just the Cavs better than them.  The Pacers were the team that everyone expected to be the surprise team in the East.  The Celtics have struggled with injuries to key players while the Pacers are struggling to integrate new players, with former Celtic, Al Jefferson, being one of those new players.

Jae Crowder is expected to miss his 5th game in a row with a sprained ankle and is not expected back until possibly Wednesday when the Celtics return to the Garden to face the Mavericks.  Al Horford traveled with the team to Indiana which means that there is a possibility that he will play in this game, which would be a very welcome return for the Celtics.  Rodney Stuckey is out for the Pacers with a hamstring injury.

Key Matchups
vs 
Isaiah Thomas vs Jeff Teague
Jeff Teague is averaging 13.6 points, 3.0 rebounds and 7.0 assists per game.  He is new to the Pacers this season, but has always had big games against the Celtics when he was with the Hawks.  Perhaps Horford can give the Isaiah some tips on how to handle him. 

vs
Marcus Smart vs Paul George
George is having a great year, averaging 21.4 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 3.1 assists  per game.  He is shooting 44.9% from beyond the arc.  This is where the Celtics will miss Jae the most.  He always took on the job of guarding the opposing best player.   Smart gives up 5 inches to George but hopefully he can use his strength to keep George off balance somewhat.   

Honorable Mention
Amir Johnson vs Myles Turner
Turner is averaging 16.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks.  He will give the Celtics problems in the paint on both ends.  Amir has to find a way to box him out and keep him away from the basket. 

Keys to the Game
Rebound - The Celtics must box out and crash the boards.  They can't score without the ball and it will take extra effort on their part to grab the rebounds.  The Celtics have been out-rebounded by double digits in their blowout losses and they can't let up and must be aggressive in going after rebounds.

Be Aggressive
-  I already mentioned that the Celtics must be aggressive on the boards, but they also must be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls,  and just all around going all out. They have to aggressively attack the basket. They need to start the game with that aggressive attitude and be aggressive through the whole game with no let up.  They can't let the Pacers be the team that works harder. 

Play Defense
-  Defense wins games.  The Pacers are shooting 39% from beyond the arc and so the Celtics have to close out on their outside shooters.  They also must play better defense in the paint as they have been allowing too many easy shots in recent games.  The Celtics have to make playing tough defense a priority. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Pacers are 4th in the league with 9.5 steals per game and so the Celtics must focus on making good passes and be aware of the Pacers ability to close out the passing lanes.  Also, if the Celtics get careless, the Pacers will make them pay with fast break points. 

X-Factors
The Injury Factor - The Celtics have struggled since Al Horford and Jae Crowder went down with injuries.  Al Horford traveled with the team to Indiana and there is a good chance that he may play in this game.  They will still miss Jae Crowder, but Al's return would give the Celtics a big boost, even though he will be rusty. 

Fatigue
- Both teams are playing on the second night of back to back games.  Both teams had to travel overnight.   The Celtics are on the road, though while the Pacers are home.  The Celtics starters were able to get some rest in the 4th quarter of their win over the Knicks while the Pacers game went into overtime, causing them to have to play extra minutes.  Fatigue  may be a factor and whichever team handles it better will get the win. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:58:40 AM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (4-4) at Pacers (4-5) Game #9 11/12/16
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:35:22 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Thanks FLCeltsFan for the usual great job. I am also BTW a FL Celts Fan myself now in Tampa. TP!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 05:50:04 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Almost first. D'oh!
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 10:07:26 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to hodgy03038 for being the first to post in the game thread!  (and for being a FL Celtics fan :)

GOOOOOOOO Celtics!!! 

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 10:35:03 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
TP FLCeltsFan!

Pacers have a lot of size and PG13, gave us fits last season in the games we played them.

Both teams on the second night of a back-to-back... but the Pacers are coming off a loss to the Sixers.

Going to be a battle for the Celtics without Crowder and (maybe) Horford as well.

One thing the Sixers had was tremendous size (including Embiid). C's will need to shoot better and play with aggression like they did last night.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
geez, i get up and make coffee and when i get to cb not only has a game thread appeared, but people have beat me in posting on it!!! what time do you folks get up? >:(

well, at least i have good caffeine next to me now.  :)

thanks for the thread flc. another thread means another victory. the celtics will beat the pacers like a gong in this game. i predict a final score of celtics 142 and pacers 12. book it!!!  ;)

gooooooo celtics!!!  ;D

and of course a tp for flc.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
geez, i get up and make coffee and when i get to cb not only has a game thread appeared, but people have beat me in posting on it!!! what time do you folks get up? >:(

thanks for the thread flc. another thread means another victory. the celtics will beat the pacers like a gong in this game. i predict a final score of celtics 142 and pacers 12. book it!!!  ;)

gooooooo celtics!!!  ;D

Come on man... with all the offensive rebounds the Pacers are going to get tonight.. At least give them 22  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

gooooooo celtics!!!  ;D

Come on man... with all the offensive rebounds the Pacers are going to get tonight.. At least give them 22  :laugh:
never.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

gooooooo celtics!!!  ;D

TP for always giving me a smile.  Actually, the game thread was up about half an hour after last night's game but noone posted till this morning. 

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Got my #36 shirt on

Ready

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Smarts gonna lockdown PG13 tonight, looking for a big game from him.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
I hope

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

gooooooo celtics!!!  ;D

TP for always giving me a smile.  Actually, the game thread was up about half an hour after last night's game but noone posted till this morning.
i did not realize that you were becoming so stealthy and sneaky with these.  ;) i will have to be more alert from now on...oh, and thanks again for the thread and the generous tp.  ;D
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Smart has played great and is clearly better than rozier. However Paul George murdered him last year. So I would relax. At this point I'd take a celtics win, let alone thinking we're going to shutdown George.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Jaylen brown for life #futurehof, #nextmichaeljordan