Author Topic: Celtics (3-3) at Wizards (1-5) Game #7 11/9/16  (Read 40636 times)

Celtics (3-3) at Wizards (1-5) Game #7 11/9/16
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:49:44 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (3-3) at Wizards (1-5)
Regular Season Game #7, Road Game #4
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
7:00 PM ET
TV: CSN-NE, Comcast Sportsnet, NBA-LP 750(DTV)/751(Xfinity)
Radio: Sports Hub 98.5, WFED 1500 AM
Verizon Center

Probable Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jaylen Brown
PF: Amir Johnson
C:  Tyler Zeller

Celtics Reserves
Marcus Smart
Gerald Green
Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko

Injuries
Kelly Olynyk  (shoulder)  questionable
Al Horford  (concussion)  out
Jae Crowder (ankle) out

Head Coach

Brad Stevens 

Probable Starters 

PG: John Wall
SG: Bradley Beal
SF: Otto Porter
PF:  Jared Dudley
C: Marcin Gortat

Wizards Reserves
Trey Burke
Danuel House Jr
Sheldon McClellan
Andrew Nicholson
Daniel Ochafu
Thomas Satoransky
Jason Smith
Marcus Thornton

Injuries
Ian Mahinmi  (knee) out

Head Coach
Scott Brooks

Game Notes
The Celtics visit the Wizards for the first of 4 matches between these two teams this season.  The Celtics have swept the Wizards in 3 of the last 5 seasons, including a 4-0 sweep last season, winning 3 of the games by more than 20 points.  They will meet next at the TD Garden on January 11.

Neither team has gotten off to the start that they had hoped for.  The Celtics were expected to have one of the best defenses in the league this season and have started out allowing 111.8 points per game.  The Wizards have also struggled with their defense allowing at least 112 points in 4 of their 6 games this season so far. 

The Celtics were embarrassed at home by the Nuggets on Sunday and Brad Stevens called them soft after that game.  The players were not happy with their performance in that game and have vowed to play better defense and be tougher in this one.  The Wizards starters have played well and they have gotten off to good starts but their bench has struggled and they have struggled to close out games.

Al Horford is still struggling with symptoms from the concussion he suffered over a week ago.  Jae Crowder is still working to rehab his sprained ankle.  Neither player made the trip to Washington.  Kelly Olynyk traveled with the team and is listed as questionable but is very close to making his season debut.   For the Wizards, Ian Mahinmi is out with a knee injury.

Key Matchups
vs 
Isaiah Thomas vs John Wall
 Wall is averaging 19.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 10.2 assists.   The Celtics need Isaiah's offense, but he is going to struggle to keep Wall from having a big game.  Expect to see Bradley or Smart on Wall if he starts to have a big game.

vs
Avery Bradley vs Bradley Beal
Bradley Beal is averaging 17.4 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 0.6 steals per game.   The Celtics need to find their defensive intensity, especially in keeping the Wizards talented back court from burying them. 

Honorable Mention
Tyler Zeller vs Marcin Gortat
Gortat always seems to play well against the Celtics.  He is averaging 13.5 points, 9.9 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game.  He is strong and can alter shots around the basket.  He can also get rebounds and putbacks if not boxed out. 

Keys to the Game
Play Strong for 48 Minutes - In some games the Celtics start strong but then struggle to make shots and turn the ball over allowing the other team to get a lead.  In other games they struggle out of the gate and then spend the rest of the game trying to catch up.  They need to give a consistent effort for the entire game.

Defense - The Celtics need to make defense a priority.   Defense wins games.   They especially need to contain the Wizards' talented back court.   They have struggled with their defense so far and some may have to do with the injuries to Smart and then Crowder and Horford.  But, they have to come together as a team and figure it out because until they do, they will continue to struggle. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team from start to finish.  They need to be aggressive in going to the hoop, in crashing the boards, in fighting for loose balls and in running the court.  They also have to be more aggressive on defense.  They have to be the team that wants it more.  After the Denver loss, Brad Stevens called them soft.  They made toughness their identity last season and they have to get back to that identity. 

Play as a Team - The Celtics need to play team ball.  They have to move the ball and find the open man.  When they lapse into hero ball where each player tries to make the home run play,  they usually struggle.  They play the best when they are moving the ball and racking up assists and playing as a team. 

Rebound -  The Celtics have struggled on the boards so far this season and they have to solve that problem  The Wizards are averaging 42.7 rebounds to 40.3 for the Celtics.   With Gortat in the middle, the Wizards have an advantage on the boards.  The Celtics have to put out the extra effort to grab rebounds if they want to get a win in this game. 

X-Factors
Embarrassment - The Celtics were embarrassed by the Nuggets on Sunday night and they have had a couple of days to think about it, look at film and work on fixing what went wrong in that game.  Can they bounce back and finally get their defense on track? 

Underachievement - Both teams were expected to do better this season.  Will this trend continue or will one or both teams stop underachieving and finally put it together to play like they are capable of playing? 

Re: Celtics (3-3) at Wizards (1-5) Game #7 11/9/16
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:51:20 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP FLCeltsfan!

Big bounce back time for our Celtics.

Go Cs!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
TP FLC. GO C'S!

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:57:11 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I won't be watching tomorrow (got a paper I need to write) but go Celtics!!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Time for another win for the Celtics!

And time for another tp for flc. Many thanks once again for all you do.

Gooooooo Celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 10:56:15 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP fl
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Lets go celtics. The wizards are awful, dont drop this one.
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tp FL! Thank you for doing this now! This election makes me wanna barf!

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 01:15:53 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
J Dudley is with the Suns, but nevermind good job.

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 07:15:16 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Most likely this will be another loss, but that's okay, it's only one game.  It's not like we have to live with that loss for the next 4 years.

I'm in a very bad mood today for obvious reasons.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 08:10:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Most likely this will be another loss, but that's okay, it's only one game.  It's not like we have to live with that loss for the next 4 years.

I'm in a very bad mood today for obvious reasons.

I'll be at this game.  I'm fairly certain I'll never be at a sporting event where more people just don't care what's happening on the court.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 08:24:46 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP csfansince60s for being the first to post in the game thread!   

Gooooooooooooooo Celtics!!   I expect a big bounce back win in this one! 

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Olynyk is on the court for warmups.  Looks like he's playing.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I know it's kind of entitled to complain about not getting a home feed when I get to watch every game, but it does tick me off when Verizon only provides one feed for a game.

I can always watch it through my PS3 or Roku, but even with high speed DSL it seems to skip at times.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 07:10:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I know it's kind of entitled to complain about not getting a home feed when I get to watch every game, but it does tick me off when Verizon only provides one feed for a game.

I can always watch it through my PS3 or Roku, but even with high speed DSL it seems to skip at times.
My god, the inhumanity!!! The injustice!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva