Author Topic: Tyson Chandler anyone?  (Read 2468 times)

Tyson Chandler anyone?
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
The Suns aren't very good and it is clear that with Len, Bender, and Chriss all needing time that at some point the Tyson Chandler experiment in Phoenix will need to come to an end.  He still has 2 years left after this one and isn't the shot blocker he once was, but is still a very good rebounder and credible interior defender.  If he can be had for something like Tyler Zeller (maybe some 2nd's), is he someone worth pursuing knowing his contract takes Boston out of the max free agent race next summer?  He obviously won't cure all of Boston's problems this year, but the team sure could use some toughness and rebounding and Chandler can do both of those things very well.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Tyson Chandler anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The Suns aren't very good and it is clear that with Len, Bender, and Chriss all needing time that at some point the Tyson Chandler experiment in Phoenix will need to come to an end.  He still has 2 years left after this one and isn't the shot blocker he once was, but is still a very good rebounder and credible interior defender.  If he can be had for something like Tyler Zeller (maybe some 2nd's), is he someone worth pursuing knowing his contract takes Boston out of the max free agent race next summer?  He obviously won't cure all of Boston's problems this year, but the team sure could use some toughness and rebounding and Chandler can do both of those things very well.

Nah. Some people might know that I'm not the biggest Noel fan around here, but I would much rather trade for Noel and max him out than trade for Chandler.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:04:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Nope. Too old. Too slow. Too limited on offense. Not good enough on defense anymore.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:17:05 PM by Who »

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
is he someone worth pursuing knowing his contract takes Boston out of the max free agent race next summer?

No
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Yes. He would be a great fill in for this year. Assuming we don't give him a 7 yr deal.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:35:46 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
They would have to give us assets to take him. Look at his age, salary, years left on contract, and then you'll  see why the Suns would need to give us assets to take him and hurt our cap and ability to sign future FA's.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
They would have to give us assets to take him. Look at his age, salary, years left on contract, and then you'll  see why the Suns would need to give us assets to take him and hurt our cap and ability to sign future FA's.

Yeah.  I've always liked Tyson Chandler, but with him current mobility and contract I just don't see how this would ever be a good move for us
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah.  I've always liked Tyson Chandler, but with him current mobility and contract I just don't see how this would ever be a good move for us
Chandler is playing 29 mpg this year.  He is averaging 13.3 rpg and 7.4 ppg on 68% from the field.  His RB% is 24.2 and over 40% on the defensive end.  He nearly doubles every single Celtic in those rates.  And yeah it is 7 games and he won't finish there, but he will still finish way ahead of every single Celtic in those two categories this year and probably over the life of his contract (at least people that are currently Celtics).  In addition, he is a well respected and liked veteran with championship pedigree that just goes to work.  He is exactly the type of player that Boston needs on this finesse team.  He will do the dirty work and grab the tough rebound.  Heck I'll take a guy that will grab any rebound let alone the tough ones.

My only concern is his two years left, however I fully believe Boston will not sign any max free agents this summer, so I'm ok with him taking up cap space and Chandler fits in line with Horford's timeline as well as the current mid-tier contracts expiration dates (i.e. Crowder, Thomas, and Bradley).  In other words, he will be gone when Brown, Smart, etc. are the leaders of the team, but will fit in well with Horford, Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, etc. in the interim. 

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 03:15:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Chandler is playing 29 mpg this year.  He is averaging 13.3 rpg and 7.4 ppg on 68% from the field.  His RB% is 24.2 and over 40% on the defensive end.  He nearly doubles every single Celtic in those rates.  And yeah it is 7 games and he won't finish there, but he will still finish way ahead of every single Celtic in those two categories this year and probably over the life of his contract (at least people that are currently Celtics).  In addition, he is a well respected and liked veteran with championship pedigree that just goes to work.  He is exactly the type of player that Boston needs on this finesse team.  He will do the dirty work and grab the tough rebound.  Heck I'll take a guy that will grab any rebound let alone the tough ones.

My only concern is his two years left, however I fully believe Boston will not sign any max free agents this summer, so I'm ok with him taking up cap space and Chandler fits in line with Horford's timeline as well as the current mid-tier contracts expiration dates (i.e. Crowder, Thomas, and Bradley).  In other words, he will be gone when Brown, Smart, etc. are the leaders of the team, but will fit in well with Horford, Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, etc. in the interim.

You have made a fairly compelling argument here. This kind of changes my mind to "I wouldn't be terribly upset if we got him for Zeller and filler." I do have some concern that he will stay healthy this year (and next year), but I agree he does provide some things we need and could really help our rebounding.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213

I think I'd be okay with getting him if Danny thought we would be able to get rid of his contract this summer if we needed the space (like GSW did with Bogut this summer).  If we can do that, then I'm all for it (and I'd probably buy his jersey, too)

Edit: That said, I'd prefer Bogut if he is available in a similar deal
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I really don't want to be stuck 'holding the bag' that is his contract when he inevitably ages over night.

And I really don't want to waste precious cap space on a player in his twilight, when it's possible we could pursue a max level FA over the next two summers.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 04:44:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I really don't want to be stuck 'holding the bag' that is his contract when he inevitably ages over night.

And I really don't want to waste precious cap space on a player in his twilight, when it's possible we could pursue a max level FA over the next two summers.
It isn't the next two summers unless Boston lets a lot of people go, just next summer, and frankly I don't see many options out there that Boston couldn't figure out a way to acquire anyway by moving pieces assuming any max free agents actually wanted to come to Boston to begin with.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If his contract didn't preclude us from getting involved in FA this year I'd say yes. But it does so no

Edit: We need to shed salary to be able to afford a max FA right now. It's not enough to just let Amir, JJ, Zeller etc walk. So if DA is serious about making a run at FAs this summer then he can't take on a contract like Chandler, that would make it impossible

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Edit: We need to shed salary to be able to afford a max FA right now. It's not enough to just let Amir, JJ, Zeller etc walk. So if DA is serious about making a run at FAs this summer then he can't take on a contract like Chandler, that would make it impossible

Because top free agents swarm to .500 teams,   we need to tighten our record.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I always assume Chandler is going to get a long lingering injury, so I don't think I'd trade for him unless I'm going for a title immediately.  I do think he would help a ton though, and I think he's much better than Noel at this point.