Author Topic: Is Klay Thompson worth pursuing if he does get put up on the trade block?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would a starting offer of Bradley, 18 Nets pick, and a few late first round picks, some filler, and maybe some young prospects be enough to at least entertain the idea?

I know a lot of users here are endeared towards Bradley, but I think Thompson is an upgrade offensively, and just almost as good defensively enough to not make it that much of a difference.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Is Klay Thompson worth pursuing if he does get put up on the trade block?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wouldn't.  Klay will never be a superstar.  Doing such a trade doesn't push us over the top.  I'd rather just keep the picks and hope a superstar appears.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I wouldn't.

May I ask why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09AqpNPiZ8g

41 points, pretty much destroyed OKC, and just like Curry was vital to their resurgence in beating them.

I wouldn't.  Klay will never be a superstar.  Doing such a trade doesn't push us over the top.  I'd rather just keep the picks and hope a superstar appears.

I don't think Klay will ever be a superstar either, but he's one of the best shooters in NBA history...

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think AB, even with the extension you'd have to sign him to, would be a better value.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
AB is most of what Klay offers ,  Klay might be better in some offensive game , but AB is a true team player , with improved handle and passing .  And stronger defense pressure than Klay .

For me it's kind of a wash .  But last night we could have used him alongside  AB .....as a second knockdown scorer . 

We need KO back worse than I thought.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wouldn't.

May I ask why?

41 points, pretty much destroyed OKC, and just like Curry was vital to their resurgence in beating them.

I don't think Klay will ever be a superstar either, but he's one of the best shooters in NBA history...
Do you think he'd still be that efficient as the #1 option without the greatest shooter in the world commanding attention next to him?

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I would take Klay Thompson.  He's like Avery Bradley except if he were 6'7" instead of 6'2".  Considering we have the smallest team in the NBA height-wise, that seems like a big difference.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 02:40:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I wouldn't.

May I ask why?

Do you think he'd still be that efficient as the #1 option without the greatest shooter in the world commanding attention next to him?

Half of the shots he took were deep and highly contested... Yes Curry is the greatest shooter, but we also have an great offensive scheme and coach who is excellent at X and O's.

Also half of the shots in the video clip were with Curry sitting, and Livingston on the floor.

I mean people can hate Klay all you want, but he's still a phenomenal shooter, and we desperately need a knock down shooter.

No one is ever going to be as efficiently as good when taken out of GSW, but he'll still be a great 2nd or 1st option on the Celtics. Plus, with IT, Horford, and Smart passing him the ball, I still think he'll be almost as efficient.
I would take Klay Thompson.  He's like Avery Bradley except if he were 6'7" instead of 6'2".  Considering we have the smallest team in the NBA height-wise, that seems like a big difference.

I can't seem to find any defensive stats, but people tell me Bradley is a better defender than Klay, which I can agree with. But Klay fits our defensive scheme just as well as Bradley does. He's 6'7, and is great at switching and cutting off defenders on the weak side with his fantastic help defense.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Klay is a legit #1 scoring option that isn't undersized like Thomas.  He is also just flat out better than anyone on Boston.  Boston absolutely needs a #1 scoring option.  A guy that can be relied upon in a close game with a minute left.  Boston has other holes as well, but if the trade is basically Bradley, Jerekbo, and draft picks, then Boston pretty much has to do it, especially if you are looking at the picks being in 2018 or later.  Then Boston can go harder after a guy like Noel to resolve some of the interior problems.  So let's say it is KO and a future 1st (not a BKN) for Noel, Boston would be:

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Thompson, Smart, Green
SF - Crowder, Brown, Young
PF - Horford, Johnson, Mickey
C - Noel, Zeller

That team could actually challenge Cleveland and Golden State.  A far more complete and balanced team.

That said, Golden State is not going to trade Klay Thompson.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Klay is a legit #1 scoring option that isn't undersized like Thomas.  He is also just flat out better than anyone on Boston.  Boston absolutely needs a #1 scoring option.  A guy that can be relied upon in a close game with a minute left.  Boston has other holes as well, but if the trade is basically Bradley, Jerekbo, and draft picks, then Boston pretty much has to do it, especially if you are looking at the picks being in 2018 or later.  Then Boston can go harder after a guy like Noel to resolve some of the interior problems.  So let's say it is KO and a future 1st (not a BKN) for Noel, Boston would be:

C - Noel, Zeller

That team could actually challenge Cleveland and Golden State.  A far more complete and balanced team.

If you could get Noel and Thompson without giving up Thomas Horford Brown or Brooklyn '17 you do it all day long.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

C - Noel, Zeller

If you could get Noel and Thompson without giving up Thomas Horford Brown or Brooklyn '17 you do it all day long.
Noel won't take a Brooklyn pick and I can't imagine Thompson would take both when Bradley is included in the trade.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The real question is this - is Klay worth keeping if AB keeps up his current play? Right now, here's AB's current averages and Klay's averages last year, which was his best career year:

AB - 19.5 pts, 8.7 rebs, 4.3 asts, on 48% fg% and 44% 3pfg%

Klay - 22.1 pts, 3.8 rebs, 2.1 asts, 47% fg% and 42.5 3pfg%

Now some of AB's averages will probably come down a bit. For example, I could see his rebounds drop down to around 5 or 6 and his fg% and 3pfg% both drop a percentage or two. But let's say those are the only drops. Would gaining Klay and his contract twice the size of Bradley's really justify losing Bradley and a Brooklyn pick?

If AB keeps up somewhere close to these stats, I'm not sure that it's necessarily worth trading him. How much more can we really expect from Klay here? He pretty much played with the freedom of a number one option last year, so will be really make any more of a jump here?

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The real question is this - is Klay worth keeping if AB keeps up his current play? Right now, here's AB's current averages and Klay's averages last year, which was his best career year:

AB - 19.5 pts, 8.7 rebs, 4.3 asts, on 48% fg% and 44% 3pfg%

Klay - 22.1 pts, 3.8 rebs, 2.1 asts, 47% fg% and 42.5 3pfg%

Now some of AB's averages will probably come down a bit. For example, I could see his rebounds drop down to around 5 or 6 and his fg% and 3pfg% both drop a percentage or two. But let's say those are the only drops. Would gaining Klay and his contract twice the size of Bradley's really justify losing Bradley and a Brooklyn pick?

If AB keeps up somewhere close to these stats, I'm not sure that it's necessarily worth trading him. How much more can we really expect from Klay here? He pretty much played with the freedom of a number one option last year, so will be really make any more of a jump here?
I would expect Klay to be over 25 ppg without much question in Boston.