Poll

Which big man would you like to see the Celtics acquire?

DeMarcus Cousins
LaMarcus Aldridge
Nerlens Noel
Jahlil Okafor
Greg Monroe
Jusuf Nurkic
Nikola Jokic
Nikola Vucevic
Tyson Chandler
Marcin Gortat
Other
C's don't need to trade for a big man

Author Topic: Big Man Trade Targets (Poll)  (Read 5882 times)

Big Man Trade Targets (Poll)
« on: November 06, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
There have been several recent threads about various big men rumored to be on the trade block.  Considering current rebounding woes, I thought I'd put a poll out there to see how the community thinks about different options that might be available via trade. 

I'm curious to see who you would want, why, and what it would take to get the deal done. By no means is this an exhaustive list and I've tried to limit it to players who have been in rumors or could be on the block due to their teams' early struggles.

Re: Big Man Trade Targets (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 03:29:27 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I like Jokic by a landslide.  I'd be willing to give up a lot for him.  He would be perfect for Stevens' system and fill our biggest hole.  Marcus + 2018 BK + 2019 Celtics pick + Memphis pick?  Is that even enough?

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I like Jokic by a landslide.  I'd be willing to give up a lot for him.  He would be perfect for Stevens' system and fill our biggest hole.  Marcus + 2018 BK + 2019 Celtics pick + Memphis pick?  Is that even enough?

I like both Denver bigs but is either worth a BK pick?  Part of me wants to hold on to those picks unless they are part of a package for an all star.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't like the idea of Cousins, the cost to acquire him would make it too painful. 
Nerlens would be my second choice.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:20:34 PM by SuddenFame »

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White

I like both Denver bigs but is either worth a BK pick?  Part of me wants to hold on to those picks unless they are part of a package for an all star.
You gotta give to get. Ideally, we would send the 18 pick and not the 17.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

You gotta give to get. Ideally, we would send the 18 pick and not the 17.
Ideally, we should all consider value and those BKN picks are much more valuable than Jokic and there is a distinct possibility that BKN trades Lopez for younger talent to mold....which would increase their value more. Even if BKN keeps Lopez and every player remains healthy (doubtful) BKN still has a very strong chance to get us another top 5 pick or even a top 3 or 1st pick on lottery night.

JBP126 knows how much I want Okafor, especially because IMO he is the most undervalued player in the League. But idk what his value is to the sixers and would love a way to get him without giving up Jaylen/ starters 1-4/ BKN picks.....that means Marcus Smart and any other of the guys we have.....which would be pure music to my ears.
Also, the Sixers have the Lakers top3 protected pick this year.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I voted Chandler because I think the cost to acquire him will basically be something like Zeller and he is an excellent rebounder and still a credible defender.  In other words, he will significantly help the weaknesses on the team and shouldn't cost much of anything to acquire.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I voted Chandler because I think the cost to acquire him will basically be something like Zeller and he is an excellent rebounder and still a credible defender.  In other words, he will significantly help the weaknesses on the team and shouldn't cost much of anything to acquire.

Dallas is struggling. I can't help but think we can go for Bogut with a similar package, and worst case adding a little more. Bogut can also help the weaknesses on our team.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
With Zizic and Yabusele stashed and the Nets picks in the pipeline, I think the likeliest trade target is a big man on an expiring contract who won't necessarily be in the team's long-term plans.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Dallas is struggling. I can't help but think we can go for Bogut with a similar package, and worst case adding a little more. Bogut can also help the weaknesses on our team.

Bogut is an expiring contract, right? Chandler has another year left on his deal, which is a non-starter if we want to sign a max FA this offseason, but Bogut could shore up the defense and rebounding without the long term cap hit. I'd even consider throwing in a late/protected first to bring him here (provided it was well before the trade deadline, don't give up a first if you only have him from February on)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Chandler is better than Bogut, though Bogut is expiring and Chandler is not.  I just don't think Boston is going to be a player in free agency this summer, so I'm fine with Chandler.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Aldridge would make the biggest difference in Year 1.

Cousins would take some time to integrate and I'd be worried about his attitude, but he's the most talented player listed, by far.

I love Jokic but he's obviously not getting traded, and I don't think he'd make the Celts a lot better right away in any case.

Among the semi-plausible options, I think I'd take Gortat.  Rebounds, finishes, and plays D inside.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Chandler is better than Bogut, though Bogut is expiring and Chandler is not.  I just don't think Boston is going to be a player in free agency this summer, so I'm fine with Chandler.

That makes sense. And you made a good argument in the Chandler thread. His rebounding would certainly be much better than anyone else on this team. I like both, and wouldn't be mad with either one.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 03:31:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
With Zizic and Yabusele stashed and the Nets picks in the pipeline, I think the likeliest trade target is a big man on an expiring contract who won't necessarily be in the team's long-term plans.

This could def. be the direction that DA and the C's are headed.  Maybe they feel getting Cousins will drain our talent pool too much, they don't like Noel that much and just prefer to get an expiring that they can flip with more assets for a better fit.  It is hard to look at our rebounding woes and think that nothing much is going to happen, but it is a possibility for long term flexibility.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 11:50:10 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White

That's a fantastic idea.  I'm all for it.  Bogut could really help this this team for sure.