Poll

Would you trade this for Durant. Either year Nets pick. Our Choice.

Yes. Secure a superstar in his prime
13 (43.3%)
No. He could walk after this year.
9 (30%)
Yes, If he agreed to stay.
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade Horford, Smart, Nets pick For Durant  (Read 1979 times)

Poll: Would you trade Horford, Smart, Nets pick For Durant
« on: November 05, 2016, 05:46:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I honestly think Smart and Horford would make the Warrior's a Better "Team".

With a Nets pick added it may be something to consider. Teams are not scared of the Warrior's any more especially defensively, reported during the Lakers telecast.

Think of how good the Warrior's would be if they traded Durant for Bradley, Smart, and Crowder.

We of course wouldn't give up all that defense for a bum like Durant, but that's what the Warrior's need.

I'd like to start KD at PF if that trade went down.

Amir Zeller
 Durant Olynyk
 Crowder Brown
 Bradley Rozier
 Thomas Jackson

Re: Poll: Would you trade Horford, Smart, Nets pick For Durant
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 05:50:13 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Yeah they would make them a better team but I'm not trading those two for him. He had a chance to redeem himself and come to Boston but he chose Golden State. Plus he's a bit of a bad carma so I'm not rooting for him anymore (to come to Boston). So I say NO.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
If you trade Horford now no Free Agent will ever come to Boston again. You simply can't make a big splash to sign one of the best FAs, talk about how he's an ideal fit for the team and dump him after half a season because you're chasing something better. It's an absolute nonstarter. If there's one guy on this team who doesn't have to worry about being traded this year unless he wants to be traded it's Horford.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If you trade Horford now no Free Agent will ever come to Boston again. You simply can't make a big splash to sign one of the best FAs, talk about how he's an ideal fit for the team and dump him after half a season because you're chasing something better. It's an absolute nonstarter. If there's one guy on this team who doesn't have to worry about being traded this year unless he wants to be traded it's Horford.
It is not like you're exiling Horford to a lousy team or trading him for some equivalent player.  Horford would be going to a championship contender.  Durant >>>> Horford.   The trade would be a no brainer assuming Ainge felt there was a good chance to re-sign KD. 

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes. Absolutely. Durant is a player that can define a team.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 11:10:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Yes, and then what happens if Durant decides to walk after Free Agency, and then you no longer have the Nets Pick (I assume OP is referencing to this year's swap), Smart or Horford. Then what? I can only imagine the pandemonium that would ensue on this entire blog/forum.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It is not like you're exiling Horford to a lousy team or trading him for some equivalent player.  Horford would be going to a championship contender.  Durant >>>> Horford.   The trade would be a no brainer assuming Ainge felt there was a good chance to re-sign KD.

I generally agree with what Granath has to say and he makes a decent case here, but I agree tazz. I can't imagine Horford would be too heartbroken going to GSW to likely win at least one championship over the next few years.

It does show a little bit of bad faith trading a player we touted so highly and it could affect us in the short term, but there isn't a better situation out there than GSW and the talent upgrade on our end would hopefully allow players/agents to understand.

Also, future free agent stars think quite highly of themselves and would likely not be worried about getting traded so soon (if a player is choosing a new team, he thinks he is the perfect fit)...plus we would be a contender with Durant and said star. It would be a desirable destination because of that.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Trade Smart and whatever fillers for Okafor....I don't know if 76ers would even do that though.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yes, and then what happens if Durant decides to walk after Free Agency, and then you no longer have the Nets Pick (I assume OP is referencing to this year's swap), Smart or Horford. Then what? I can only imagine the pandemonium that would ensue on this entire blog/forum.

Even if Danny wasn't sure that Durant wanted to stay here long term (although we seemed to be his second choice this past summer so I don't see why he wouldn't), you take that risk when it's a player of Durant's caliber. Every trade carries risk with it (they won't mesh with the team, the assets you give up suddenly turn the corner), but we need a syperstar. If we get a chance to get one, you take it, and worry about the rest later
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I'd drive them all to the Airport

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'd drive them all to the Airport

And I'll carry their luggage.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

You don't get it.

It doesn't matter if we're "exiling" Horford. During the FA process the Celtics Front Office made representations to the player - how'd they get used, how much they'd play, how they fit the system, how much they'd be desired, etc. Beyond cold, hard cash that's how players make decisions on where they're going.

It'd be one thing if Horford was the 15th man on the bench. Teams, agents and players know that those guys are a dime a dozen and nothing more than cannon fodder. But for a big name like him - one of the gems of this last FA period - you simply can't dish him off a week or a month into the season. No free agent or their agent would ever trust the Front Office again. No one would ever sign in Boston again as long as Danny was in charge of the Celtics. It's the equivalent of cutting your own throat.

As such, it'd never happen unless Al himself pushed for the trade. That would be the only saving grace. I can tell you with assurity that the chances of Durant in the FA market after f*king Horford over would be absolutely nil.

It ain't a video game, kids. In the real world there are consequences to being a bad actor.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.