Author Topic: So When Is It Time to Revisit the Smart / Randle Thing?  (Read 21624 times)

Re: So When Is It Time to Revisit the Smart / Randle Thing?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2016, 01:10:26 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I think most NBA fans would say Randle has leapfrogged Smart.   So far, Randle has a made a more positive impact on this season.  Lakers are 4-3 and he's been the stand-out.  It is what it is.

Ainge supposedly thought hard about taking Randle and later even admitted that Randle was better than Smart.  The reasons he took Smart was because Smart had a killer mentality that hopefully could be developed into a better player.  That, and the team already had invested draft picks in Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk as their power forwards.  The team needed a guard to take the mantle with Rondo likely leaving.   It made some logical sense at the time.  We picked for position.  We took Jaylen Brown for similar reasons... taking Dunn would have caused a log jam at guard.  Jaylen fits a position need.   Smart/Randle were seen a similar tier-2 level players so we went with the one that fit our roster construction.   Jaylen/Dunn were seen as similar tier-3 level players so we went with the one that fit our roster construction.
lol. The tiers!

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 01:31:47 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I think most NBA fans would say Randle has leapfrogged Smart.   So far, Randle has a made a more positive impact on this season.  Lakers are 4-3 and he's been the stand-out.  It is what it is.

Ainge supposedly thought hard about taking Randle and later even admitted that Randle was better than Smart.  The reasons he took Smart was because Smart had a killer mentality that hopefully could be developed into a better player.  That, and the team already had invested draft picks in Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk as their power forwards.  The team needed a guard to take the mantle with Rondo likely leaving.   It made some logical sense at the time.  We picked for position.  We took Jaylen Brown for similar reasons... taking Dunn would have caused a log jam at guard.  Jaylen fits a position need.   Smart/Randle were seen a similar tier-2 level players so we went with the one that fit our roster construction.   Jaylen/Dunn were seen as similar tier-3 level players so we went with the one that fit our roster construction.

Did he actually say that? I've never heard that sentiment from Danny, ever.

Yeah, I suspect this one is a real reach and Danny said nothing of the sort.

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 03:40:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

it was in an article I read months ago.  I'm too lazy to look it up.  Essentially said that the team realized randle was more talented, but loved smarts toughness and thought he had the mentality of someone who would work extremely hard to improve.  Boston was on the fence about drafting randle or smart.  In the day leading up to the draft there were lots of reports about them still considering randle.   Their belief in smart's work ethic along with the fact rondo was a goner pushed smart over the top.  The team remained interested in randle though.  They reportedly tried to trade rondo to the Lakers and wanted randle, but the Lakers refused to send out randle.

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 07:20:21 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Talk to me when Randle manages to hit 0 career VORP and BPM.

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I'm with you on the Smart/Randle thing

Even with Randle missing a whole season with injury he looks like a real player

We also need to revisit

The James young over Gary Harris thing
The Fab Melo over Draymond Green Thing
The Jr Giddens over DeAndre Jordan thing

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »

Offline Dennis_D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Ainge supposedly thought hard about taking Randle and later even admitted that Randle was better than Smart.  The reasons he took Smart was because Smart had a killer mentality that hopefully could be developed into a better player.
Are you saying that Ainge said that Randle was more NBA-ready coming into the league but that Ainge thought that Smart would be the better player long-term because he had a better mentality? That makes sense. The way you phrased it, it sounds like Ainge purposely took the weaker player.

That, and the team already had invested draft picks in Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk as their power forwards. The team needed a guard to take the mantle with Rondo likely leaving.   It made some logical sense at the time.  We picked for position.
Sorry, that makes no sense to me. With the sixth pick in a draft, you want to pick a player who'll start for a long time. By the 2014 draft, Sully and KO had demonstrated that they weren't long-term starting PF material.

Smart/Randle were seen a similar tier-2 level players so we went with the one that fit our roster construction.
But if Randle is the better player now, then Ainge made the wrong choice.

It's pretty simple - if Randle has developed into the better player, then Ainge made the wrong choice in taking Smart over Randle. Not the end of the world. Smart wasn't a bad choice. It wasn't like he picked Noah Vonleh.

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Well, then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny felt Randle was better but took Smart. There were reports that Randle ditched a second workout with us to go for a GQ photo shoot. I'm sure Danny didn't like that very much. Also, Smart has all the things that Danny loves: "heart, work ethic, grit, passion". All that good stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Danny sacrificed a little bit of talent for that stuff. It's what he does, can't really do anything about it.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i think some people were saying we should revisit year 3 or year 5 or something back when both were drafted. I think it's also appropriate to start talking about the two.

Given the same situation again, I would still take Smart, because of his defense tenacity and the things that does not show up on the stat sheet. I like Randle as well but felt Smart is a piece every championship team needs. His offense does look a little bit improved this year, still hope he tones down the 3s and attack the basket more...loving his floaters as of late, I think that is a weapon he can use, like Rondo and Rose did.

Aside from stats, Smart's leadership is showing as well. I am sure this debate will continue as long as the two continues to play

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

it was in an article I read months ago.  I'm too lazy to look it up.  Essentially said that the team realized randle was more talented, but loved smarts toughness and thought he had the mentality of someone who would work extremely hard to improve.  Boston was on the fence about drafting randle or smart.  In the day leading up to the draft there were lots of reports about them still considering randle.   Their belief in smart's work ethic along with the fact rondo was a goner pushed smart over the top.  The team remained interested in randle though.  They reportedly tried to trade rondo to the Lakers and wanted randle, but the Lakers refused to send out randle.
That wasn't the C's that was me lol

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 12:25:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Ainge supposedly thought hard about taking Randle and later even admitted that Randle was better than Smart.  The reasons he took Smart was because Smart had a killer mentality that hopefully could be developed into a better player.
Are you saying that Ainge said that Randle was more NBA-ready coming into the league but that Ainge thought that Smart would be the better player long-term because he had a better mentality? That makes sense. The way you phrased it, it sounds like Ainge purposely took the weaker player.

That, and the team already had invested draft picks in Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk as their power forwards. The team needed a guard to take the mantle with Rondo likely leaving.   It made some logical sense at the time.  We picked for position.
Sorry, that makes no sense to me. With the sixth pick in a draft, you want to pick a player who'll start for a long time. By the 2014 draft, Sully and KO had demonstrated that they weren't long-term starting PF material.

Smart/Randle were seen a similar tier-2 level players so we went with the one that fit our roster construction.
But if Randle is the better player now, then Ainge made the wrong choice.

It's pretty simple - if Randle has developed into the better player, then Ainge made the wrong choice in taking Smart over Randle. Not the end of the world. Smart wasn't a bad choice. It wasn't like he picked Noah Vonleh.
adding a third young power forward when rondo had one foot out the door wouldn't have been the smartest move.  It makes sense why we took Marcus.

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
In a league gone small, I think that perimeter defense will be a priority. Randle, at the time of the draft, was thought of as an interior scorer and rebounder, but was lacking on the defensive end. A skinnier Zach Randolph.

Smart was considered to be a premier defender and a bull who could get to the line. He hasn't proen the later, but his defensive chops have been evident.

I'm a huge Smart fan and I'll be the first to admit that I expect more from the 6th pick of the draft. That being said, both players are still very young and have the ability to improve in due time.

I think it is still too early to consider either to be a bust/stud.

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
The Lakers blog has a topic called:
 So When Is It Time to Revisit the Ingram / Brown Thing?

;)

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Projections from RealGM
clearly this is not just about who is better, but team needs and such...
Smart 4 years- 80 million, I hope Danny can get him to stary for less...
Randle 4 years - 70 million

6. Marcus Smart – Boston Celtics: In his third year, Smart is still primarily a backup, but he’s turned into somewhat of a “super sub” for Boston. He plays 1-3 on a regular basis, plays starter level minutes and continues to be one of the best defensive players in the league. The Celtics love everything he brings and he’s a big part of the scrappy, tough culture that Boston has built under Brad Stevens. His continued development as a point guard and improved shooting help a lot as well.

Extension Prediction: Four years/$80 million. The Celtics signed Avery Bradley to a deal that many considered an overpayment when he was a free agent and they similarly re-signed Jae Crowder as well in 2015. Smart is beloved by the coaching staff and front office and they’ll pay to keep him around, especially with some uncertainty around the guard position given Isaiah Thomas and Bradley’s impending free agency in 2018.

7. Julius Randle – Los Angeles Lakers: After missing almost his entire rookie year, Randle has shown promise over the last two seasons. Luke Walton has him playing as the Lakers’ light version of Draymond Green, as a playmaking power forward. The challenge is that while Randle does a lot of things well, he doesn’t excel in any one area. And the Lakers have to consider his fit with D’Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram and what they hope will be another high pick in the 2017 NBA Draft.

Extension Prediction: No extension if the Lakers keep their pick in 2017. Four years/$70 million if LA loses the pick. This one is a little complicated. If Los Angeles loses their pick in 2017, they also lose their pick in 2019. That would leave the Lakers a little short on young talent. That alone could drive them to keep Randle. If they get to keep the pick and can add another young player, they can let him get to restricted free agency in the summer of 2018 and make a decision at that point. It also gives them another year of development for Ingram and Larry Nance Jr. as well.

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I wouldn't want to pay that much for either player.  20 million a year for Smart just seems crazy to me at this point, especially since I don't think he would get that sort of contract in restricted free agency a year from now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I know salary context is all out of whack with the cap exploding, but it'd still be shocking to me if Marcus Smart pulled in 20 million a year. And even though I like Smart I'd probably be pretty angry if it came from us.