Author Topic: So When Is It Time to Revisit the Smart / Randle Thing?  (Read 21513 times)

Re: So When Is It Time to Revisit the Smart / Randle Thing?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 09:22:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
"Revisit" seems like the wrong word.  This topic is brought up daily.  It's beyond tired.

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Randle's RPM ranked him 84th of 87 power forwards last year, well behind guys on his own team like Ryan Kelly, Larry Nance and Brandon Bass.

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 09:37:42 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
When the lakers and Celtics Play for a championship

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Ever actually watch Smart?  Love him.

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Still a chance randle ends up the next Zach Randolph while smart ends up the next Tony Allen.  I still have smart a hair ahead of him, but that's me being a homer.

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
nm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:17:50 AM by colincb »

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
tony allen was a great defender. Smart's play can effect the entire game and dictate the outcome. and that's not just on the defensive end, he may be inconsistent offensively but thus far he's proven to be clutch on both ends - he makes plays that are needed.

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'd say it is a toss up at the moment. But we could probably use Randle rebounding ability right now.

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 12:24:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A good time is when one of them is actually good. Right now they both too inconsistent and have huge holes in their game.

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I still don't think Randle is a player who can help you win a championship. He looks like a good regular season player, but when the lights are on and championship-quality opponents are keyed in on his weaknesses, he will not be able to finish against length, he will not be able to defend anyone, he will not be able to spread the court, and he will only be able to play one position (stripping his team of flexibility on offense and defense).

Smart, on the other hand, is not a regular season "numbers" guy, but he is a guy you can win a championship with. His weaknesses like shooting, driving, or turnovers always vanish in the toughest situations. He can play multiple positions on offense or defense.

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I'm sorry it's not even a competition at this point. Randle's ability to rebound, post up, versatility to run a fastbreak, and ability to create his own combined far exceed Smart's ability to just play defense. Smart is a PG who can't handle the basketball, a SG who can't shoot, and a SF who is 6'4". He's a grit player that's willing to do anything to win. I respect that, but by far Randle is just a better player than Smart who I've never liked ever since we drafted him. It was always Randle for me and I will continue to stand by that.

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm sorry it's not even a competition at this point. Randle's ability to rebound, post up, versatility to run a fastbreak, and ability to create his own combined far exceed Smart's ability to just play defense. Smart is a PG who can't handle the basketball, a SG who can't shoot, and a SF who is 6'4". He's a grit player that's willing to do anything to win. I respect that, but by far Randle is just a better player than Smart who I've never liked ever since we drafted him. It was always Randle for me and I will continue to stand by that.

Hmm, I think I found the problem here.

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The time to revisit this is at the end of their rookie contracts.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Still a chance randle ends up the next Zach Randolph while smart ends up the next Tony Allen.  I still have smart a hair ahead of him, but that's me being a homer.

I'd be surprised at either being as good as the established players, but Smart would seem a better bet. As far as raw talent though, Tony was a freak until the injuries. Who knows how good he could have been. Not a fan of Randle's game so far. Pretty much the same flaws he came into the NBA with.
Actually, I still think Randle is very much on pace to be a 20/10 Randolph type.  Remember that this is only his second season and last year he was coming off an injury.   

So I'd say the time to revisit it would actually be at the end of this season.   Smart might make a leap this year.  If he doesn't, I think the idea that Smart has star potential all but vanishes.  He regressed from season 1 to 2.  If he doesn't make major improvements in year 3, he'll be seen as a long-term bench role player.  Also, once we get a look at how Randle progresses in his second season, we'll have an idea of what he'll turn into.

Should be noted that both players look pretty good so far this season. 

Randle's per-36:  17.9 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.3 steals, 1.1 blocks with 59% shooting, 16% from three and 64% fromt he line.

Smart's per-36:  12.2 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 0.6 steals, 1.2 blocks, 41% shooting, 33% from three, 60% from the line.

It's only been two games for Smart, though.  Let's see if he goes back to his historically bad shooting or is actually able to shoot over 40% this year.

Let's be honest here... if you ask an unbias basketball fan, Randle has already leapfrogged Smart. 

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 03:27:08 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Anyone else think that Randle has alot of Jeff Green in him? As in...very very inconsistent....

Smart has the clutch factor. Only thing holding Smart back is his injury issues, otherwise he's going to be a stud.