Author Topic: So When Is It Time to Revisit the Smart / Randle Thing?  (Read 21622 times)

So When Is It Time to Revisit the Smart / Randle Thing?
« on: November 05, 2016, 02:18:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Just wondering....
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: So When Is It Time to Revisit the Smart / Randle Thing?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 02:32:37 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Just wondering....

Kind of surprised to see this post from you honestly. If this in response to believing randle will anchor the lakers to the playoffs as their best inside player, he would surpass smart in that situation. As impressive as the win was tonight for the majority of his career he has been a less complete player than Larry nance and a net negative.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 02:37:34 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Just wondering....

didn't know they had a thing. Did it start in college?

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 02:40:47 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I mean, we can revisit it now if we want.

Randle has always put up the numbers. On some occasions he even helps them win. But he still can't shoot, his defense is still subpar, he still isn't very good with his right hand. Is he a starter on a championship team? I'm not sure.

I also think that, by next year, it should be time to give up the whole idea that Smart can be an All Star caliber player in this league, or a top 3 option on a contending team, unless he proves otherwise this year. I love Marcus on defense. But, the offense has to come around. There's just no other way around it. I want to be patient with him, but for how long? How much longer do we have to watch him chuck and brick 3s early in the shot clock? How much longer do we have to watch him flop and flail around, which does get him calls, but is also not the actual way to play the game? How much longer do we have to see him try to drive to the rim, get stopped by the defense, and force up a bad shot, and then complain to the refs?

Don't get me wrong. He's a fine player off the bench for us. His defensive impact is absolutely insane. But if he can't ever develop into an even decent offensive player, then we have to wonder: do you want the defensive talent who is streaky at best on offense? Or would you rather have the guy who can't play defense, but can rebound, can bang with the big boys, and is slowly but surely getting a bit better and more comfortable on offense?

In many ways, I think we actually have to blame Brad for part of the lack of development by Marcus. While he did try to go for the wins and the team record at the time (when Evan was here), it could hurt us long term. This is Smart's third year, he should be able to at least run a pick and roll consistently. He's shown flashes of it, but can he ever put it all together? We won't know if Brad keeps putting Smart off the ball, not always getting him the ball in his strength spots. You've gotta play to the strengths of your players. On offense, that's pick and roll's, post ups, midrange jumpers, driving to the rim. You've gotta target those areas if you want him to get better at that stuff.

Long story short: it's really up to personal preference; which type of player do you want?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 02:53:37 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Randle's a special player, he was a monster in college and seems to be finding his own in the NBA. Creative passer, a rare touch when finishing at the rim, a nastiness that allows him to perform late in games.

I heard some talk this last summer that Ben Simmons was slated to be the next Blake Griffin, but from my perspective Randle has the inside track.

Big fan of Marcus Smart, happy he's here and hope he retires a Celtic legend, but I'd be lying if I said wouldn't rather be watching a Julius Randle/Al Horford frontcourt. Thing that stings the most is that it was probably the presence of Sullinger that kept us from drafting Randle.

It will be very interesting to see what we can do with the 2017 draft. Should be some strong frontcourt talent but not sure we're going to find someone as impactful as Randle would have been for us. Until then I'm content enjoying the rare defensive play of Marcus Smart.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 02:54:29 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
When they hit restricted free agency
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 03:20:43 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Randle's a special player, he was a monster in college and seems to be finding his own in the NBA. Creative passer, a rare touch when finishing at the rim, a nastiness that allows him to perform late in games.

I heard some talk this last summer that Ben Simmons was slated to be the next Blake Griffin, but from my perspective Randle has the inside track.

Big fan of Marcus Smart, happy he's here and hope he retires a Celtic legend, but I'd be lying if I said wouldn't rather be watching a Julius Randle/Al Horford frontcourt. Thing that stings the most is that it was probably the presence of Sullinger that kept us from drafting Randle.

It will be very interesting to see what we can do with the 2017 draft. Should be some strong frontcourt talent but not sure we're going to find someone as impactful as Randle would have been for us. Until then I'm content enjoying the rare defensive play of Marcus Smart.
randle is the next Blake griffin? I'm
Pretty sure Blake griffin was an all star his rookie year and averaged like 22 and 11. That's a little ridiculous praise for randle

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
He is the anti-Smart. A lot of empty stats, few intangibles and little defense. Much like the rest of his team, actually.

Smart and Randle both have a lot of room to grow. I won't be surprised if both take a big step forward soon in their areas of weakness.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 04:06:47 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
We can revisit it at any point over the course of their careers. The answer will still be the same. Smart was the right pick

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 06:31:45 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
At this point in their career Randle is the better player. He has shown continue growth over his career where  as Smart been stagnant.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 06:53:23 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
This wave of Randle love seems like a little overreaction to the Lakers having one really good game against a dysfunctional Warriors team.

Randle put up numbers last year, too, but that didn't translate to wins. I want to see if the Lakers can sustain this, and if he actually helps them win. Then we can crown him.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 06:56:32 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
At this point in their career Randle is the better player. He has shown continue growth over his career where  as Smart been stagnant.

Really? As far as I've seen Marcus has had a positive effect on winning each season he's been in the league. He's improved as a playmaker, he's improved as a mid range shooter and he's widened his defensive abilities e.g. guarding pfs last year. He has no outside shot currently but that's the biggest hole i can see.

Randle still can't defend and has shown little progress on becoming a go to scorer on that team.

To me Randle was the right choice at 7, however retrospectively Smart could have gone ahead of Exum and Gordon

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 07:09:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
When they hit restricted free agency
TP for the correct answer.  Personally I would have drafted Randle over Smart.  However  neither Smart or Randle have done enough so far to make a judgment.  Both have significant areas where they need development.  This is really just Randle's 2nd year of playing because of his 1st year injury.  Smart has missed plenty of games due to injury.  So better to wait for the end of their rookie contract to make a judgment between them. 

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 07:35:29 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Seems that you follow Lakers more than the Celtics if you think that way.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I know in sports we quantify everything through numbers and if we want to base our opinion of which player we should have taken using numbers - then it's not a discussion and probably never will be imo, Randle is a guy that's going to put up numbers.

there's been plenty of players that put up the numbers and have nothing to show for it - melo anyone... and he even had a couple really good teams around him.

when Randle does anything close to what Smart did in the series against Atlanta last yr. let me know.

Smart will probably never have the numbers but he will effect the letter "W".