Author Topic: Rumor: Raptors interested in Noel  (Read 13612 times)

Re: Rumor: Raptors interested in Noel
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
If Ainge could get Noel for some of the offers fans imagine, I think he'd already be a Celtic.   Go get him, Danny.

When you say this you realize I shared a blog of the trades proposed by an author at liberty ballers? (with pretty much all the posters agreeing they were fair deals). When in the history of fandom has a team's fans collectively undervalued their own player? That just isn't something that happens because it doesn't make logical sense.

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If Ainge could get Noel for some of the offers fans imagine, I think he'd already be a Celtic.   Go get him, Danny.

When you say this you realize I shared a blog of the trades proposed by an author at liberty ballers? (with pretty much all the posters agreeing they were fair deals). When in the history of fandom has a team's fans collectively undervalued their own player? That just isn't something that happens because it doesn't make logical sense.
the blogger on liberty ballers doesn't make the decisions for the 76ers. 

Fans undervalue their players all the time.  Ainge consistently exceeds my expectations of what he gets for his assets.  Most felt KG and Pierce were worthless before Ainge pulled off his Brooklyn heist.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
All this report proves is that there is still a market for nerlens Noel.  Philly still hasn't received an acceptable offer - or Noel wouldn't still be a 76er.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Fans undervalue their players all the time.  Ainge consistently exceeds my expectations of what he gets for his assets.  Most felt KG and Pierce were worthless before Ainge pulled off his Brooklyn heist.

Fans almost exclusively overvalue their own players. Have you considered that the "fans" you're referring to might just be one specific fan?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

perhaps a single fan, but you just illustrated my point unintentionally. We pulled off the biggest rip off in the NBA in the last 30 years and half the fans on this board STILL thought we were getting ripped off at the time for Pierce and Garnett. It is unprecedented for a collective group of fans to think their own players value is lower than it actually is around the league. Try to find me a more legit example of this (although I admit it is hard to prove fan sentiment), because they just don't exist.

We are fans of these teams and as a result, overvalue them. That is what being a fan and a homer is all about. Rondo is the greatest point guard in the league. Al Jefferson is the next Mose Malone. Gerald Green is a future star! Look at every fan proposed trade on this site over the years and the ones a bunch of people actually wanted to do would have been huge ripoffs (at least at the time)

If a fanbase all starts thinking "yea Marcus Smart may only be a backup" we aren't going to turn around and see him traded for Karl Anthony Towns because we were undervaluing him as a fanbase. Fans don't undersell their own players collectively, it just doesn't make sense.

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Fans almost exclusively overvalue their own players. Have you considered that the "fans" you're referring to might just be one specific fan?
theres no consensus amongst Philly fans on their own players.  Some hate okafor.  Some hate Noel.  Some want to keep both. Some want to trade both.  On the sixers subreddit there was a post this week of a fan saying the team desperately needs Noel back.  Nobody really knows what Noel's trade value is.  I still think Jordan Clarkson for Noel makes sense, but that can't happen until December.

All we know is that there is a market for Noel.  The report says the raptors want him. Not surprised.  Nobody really knows what philly would want for him if they decide to trade him.  It's clearly more than any team has offered - or Noel wouldn't be on Philly still.  Widely reported that Boston had made offers for both Noel and okafor.  Clearly none of the offers were enough.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

theres no consensus amongst Philly fans on their own players.  Some hate okafor.  Some hate Noel.  Some want to keep both. Some want to trade both.  On the sixers subreddit there was a post this week of a fan saying the team desperately needs Noel back.  Nobody really knows what Noel's trade value is.  I still think Jordan Clarkson for Noel makes sense, but that can't happen until December.

All we know is that there is a market for Noel.  The report says the raptors want him. Not surprised.  Nobody really knows what philly would want for him if they decide to trade him.  It's clearly more than any team has offered - or Noel wouldn't be on Philly still.  Widely reported that Boston had made offers for both Noel and okafor.  Clearly none of the offers were enough.

Are you really standing by the claim that fans undervalue their own players all the time? This seems pretty ludicrous (especially in light of the amount of times you spend talking down other posters perceptions of our player's values). Kind of bit off more than you can chew on this one, but I like it. 

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Are you really standing by the claim that fans undervalue their own players all the time? This seems pretty ludicrous (especially in light of the amount of times you spend talking down other posters perceptions of our player's values). Kind of bit off more than you can chew on this one, but I like it.
when I say "all the time" I didn't mean exclusively.  I was saying that very frequently fans will undervalue players they no longer like.  Some fans here wanted to just cut Jeff green.  Fans can be ridiculous.   Obviously, Homerism is far far more prevalent.   The Philly situation is unique in that none of the fans have any consensus on what they want.  They just all love Embiid.

How fans feel about the players isn't all that relevant though.  What's important is that Philly still has teams showing interest.  It's also telling that we even have this thread.  Shows you that not only is there still a market for Noel, but there's still considerable interest in him.   He's a hot ticket.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

Not true at all. With Noel, Simmons, and Okafor on the mend and Embiid still on a minutes restriction, there was no real reason to trade him yet. In fact, it wouldn't have made sense to trade Noel until after they saw Embiid in action, because I'd still take Noel over Okafor in building a team. They could simply be sitting on an offer that they find acceptable until they're sure about Embiid.

Whatever the case, we all know his trade value is nowhere near where it should be with their obvious logjam, his contract situation, and him already voicing displeasure.

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 05:46:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Not true at all. With Noel, Simmons, and Okafor on the mend and Embiid still on a minutes restriction, there was no real reason to trade him yet. In fact, it wouldn't have made sense to trade Noel until after they saw Embiid in action, because I'd still take Noel over Okafor in building a team. They could simply be sitting on an offer that they find acceptable until they're sure about Embiid.

Whatever the case, we all know his trade value is nowhere near where it should be with their obvious logjam, his contract situation, and him already voicing displeasure.
them sitting on an offer is plausible as well.  I'm sure they have options.   He's a sixer right now because Philly has refused to pull the trigger on anything yet.

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

when I say "all the time" I didn't mean exclusively.  I was saying that very frequently fans will undervalue players they no longer like.  Some fans here wanted to just cut Jeff green.  Fans can be ridiculous.   Obviously, Homerism is far far more prevalent.   The Philly situation is unique in that none of the fans have any consensus on what they want.  They just all love Embiid.

How fans feel about the players isn't all that relevant though.  What's important is that Philly still has teams showing interest.  It's also telling that we even have this thread.  Shows you that not only is there still a market for Noel, but there's still considerable interest in him.   He's a hot ticket.

It seems like 85% of their fans want him gone. All the negative stuff I read about him (going to the stadium for concerts and not the games, when he chose to have his elective surgery, his attitude etc is all from their site. The fans have really turned on him and that seems pretty hard to argue)

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

It seems like 85% of their fans want him gone. All the negative stuff I read about him (going to the stadium for concerts and not the games, when he chose to have his elective surgery, his attitude etc is all from their site. The fans have really turned on him and that seems pretty hard to argue)
85% is a fake number.   Go to the sixers sub.  Some want him. Some don't.  Irrelevant either way.  Fans don't make the trades.

This is just bad news for the fans here who hope to sign Noel this summer.  Philly will likely cash in on him for some assets instead of let him walk for nothing.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Apparently, he's "very available" right now with Embiid's great play so far, too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2674081-nerlens-noel-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-center

I think Danny needs to pull the trigger on this. Losing Rozier would suck, but I think we need Noel's rebounding and perimeter D and mobility more than Rozier in the second unit. It also would keep him away from a competitor. Apparently, as of this morning we're SECOND in the NBA in offensive rating and 28TH in defensive rating. :o
I love Rozier, but I think Rozier for Noel is a home run.

The only issue with adding Noel is, the C's will essentially be pricing themselves out of a max free agent if they bring on Noel, unless they are willing to let Noel walk to sign a max guy.

Also, let's say the Kings decide to trade Boogie and want Rozier, you don't want to have moved Rozier in a Noel deal before Boogie becomes available.

Regarding the free agent deal, I don't think we'd have a problem letting Noel walk if it meant getting a Griffin type. We wouldn't have given up that much for Noel in the first place, and I think the wins he'd add us would only make us that more attractive to free agents.

Regarding the trade issue, that is a legitimate concern that I've worried about myself. However, after watching most of the Kings games and reading up on them, it's seeming less and less likely that their management could actually do the right thing in that regard. I think they're too attached to him, no matter how bad they'll be this season. Further, while I do think they would absolutely want Rozier, I also don't think it's a deal breaker, especially with the promise that Brown is showing. And finally, while I'm not certain how I feel about this theory, there are some on here that think Noel would actually be a big piece of a Boogie deal due to Divac's love of centers and big men.

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Teams willing to offer a pick in the teens or a role player like Ross doesn't exactly make him a "hot ticket" as a younger player a few years removed from being the 6th pick in the draft.

Also, lets be real. He is out with an injury and has created bad blood with this current team that owns his restricted rights. Even with the most rose colored glasses someone can find this isn't a great thing for Philly or his market.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

them sitting on an offer is plausible as well.  I'm sure they have options.   He's a sixer right now because Philly has refused to pull the trigger on anything yet.

They've had no reason to yet with their injury situation. It wouldn't surprise me in the least for Danny to have a standing offer to them. But it makes sense for them to sit on any potential trade right now and see if anything better comes in as the season unfolds and teams get injuries or find weaknesses that they want to address.