Author Topic: Rumor: Raptors interested in Noel  (Read 13601 times)

Rumor: Raptors interested in Noel
« on: November 04, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Unfortunately there is not a lot of details on how serious this is. The Raptors obviously have frontcourt depth issues and are our biggest competition for the division crown.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243880/Raptors-Interested-In-Nerlens-Noel

The deal I have seen floated in the past is for Terrence Ross and change.

I would not like the Raptors to get Noel as I think he would be just what they need in the wake of losing Bismack and then Sully to injury.

Re: Rumor: Raptors interested in Noel
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Unfortunately there is not a lot of details on how serious this is. The Raptors obviously have frontcourt depth issues and are our biggest competition for the division crown.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243880/Raptors-Interested-In-Nerlens-Noel

The deal I have seen floated in the past is for Terrence Ross and change.

I would not like the Raptors to get Noel as I think he would be just what they need in the wake of losing Bismack and then Sully to injury.

I root for Noel since he's got the Massachusetts connection so I want to see him end up in a good situation but I'm with you, Noel to the Raptors could make them very dangerous in the East.

Their offense is so top heavy between Lowry and Derozan that limited offensive guys like Bismac and Noel can be free to roam and create havoc on Defense while only being asked to clean up the bricks on Offense.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd probably want more than Ross if I was the Sixers, but I doubt they get more than a player of Ross' caliber.

Either way, any trade that makes Toronto better is not good for us.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Ross and a 1st was floated around over the summer.  Seems to make a little sense for both teams and I think Ross on a team without so much depth could be a pretty solid player.  That said Noel is better than Ross and the 1st would be a late pick without much value so it appears to be a talent downgrade for the Sixers (who certainly don't need any more draft picks).  The Raptors need frontcourt depth, but I'm not sure Noel and Valanciunas is a good fit, so the Raptors are essentially acquiring a back-up center that will require a huge raise this summer and taking away a very good bench player in his own right.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I'd probably want more than Ross if I was the Sixers, but I doubt they get more than a player of Ross' caliber.

It seems like Noel has really hurt the chances of Philly being able to ask much of him. Surprisingly this hasn't been talked about a ton over here but it seems like he has reached a point of no return with Philly. Supposedly he has not been going to the stadium for games, but rankled their fans and front office by going to the stadium for a concert. There is also a lot of thought about whether he chose to have an elective surgery as late as possible as a way of keeping himself off the court. I only see this discussed on the Philly boards so don't know if it is a 100% true, but it seems like the fans are sick of him and he has depressed his value because the 76ers dont seem like they would match a top level contract for him.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Just for an idea of what the 76ers think his value is:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/11/3/13512910/5-trades-for-nerlens-noel

Most seem to think with the contract situation and him having the other issues with the team a pick in the late teens or a young rotation player is the best they could do.

This has come a long way from them getting a top 5 pick in last year's draft....

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If I were the Sixers I would offer Noel and a pick for Brandon Knight.

Most seem to think with the contract situation and him having the other issues with the team a pick in the late teens or a young rotation player is the best they could do.

This has come a long way from them getting a top 5 pick in last year's draft....
If this is his actual value, the C's should trade a late first and James Young for Nerlens. Although I expect the C's to wait to make a move so they can see if a superstar becomes available. We wouldn't want a Noel trade preventing a Blake Griffin or  Cousins trade.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

If this is his actual value, the C's should trade a late first and James Young for Nerlens. Although I expect the C's to wait to make a move so they can see if a superstar becomes available. We wouldn't want a Noel trade preventing a Blake Griffin or  Cousins trade.
What pick would the 76ers include?

I think they would do rozier but would not expect a pick back on top of that. When he comes back from injury you are talking about 4 to 5 months of basketball. It is really impossible to imagine them matching a multiyear high salary offer this offseason (even if they traded Jahill) so they will lose him this summer. Would the Celtics really match a huge offersheet for him this offseason? I guess if they view it as replacing Amir and probably means we let KO walk. I like him so I would do it. I am not sure the FO feels the same way.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Ross and a 1st was floated around over the summer.  Seems to make a little sense for both teams and I think Ross on a team without so much depth could be a pretty solid player.  That said Noel is better than Ross and the 1st would be a late pick without much value so it appears to be a talent downgrade for the Sixers (who certainly don't need any more draft picks).  The Raptors need frontcourt depth, but I'm not sure Noel and Valanciunas is a good fit, so the Raptors are essentially acquiring a back-up center that will require a huge raise this summer and taking away a very good bench player in his own right.

Yeah, I was wondering about the JV/Noel fit myself. Seems like he'd just price himself out of the backup role like Biyombo did last summer.

I still like Rozier for Noel. With our offense being as potent as it is right now and with Brown's emergence in the second unit, a rebounding and mobile big like Noel might push is over the top into contender territory.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

It seems like Noel has really hurt the chances of Philly being able to ask much of him. Surprisingly this hasn't been talked about a ton over here but it seems like he has reached a point of no return with Philly. Supposedly he has not been going to the stadium for games, but rankled their fans and front office by going to the stadium for a concert. There is also a lot of thought about whether he chose to have an elective surgery as late as possible as a way of keeping himself off the court. I only see this discussed on the Philly boards so don't know if it is a 100% true, but it seems like the fans are sick of him and he has depressed his value because the 76ers dont seem like they would match a top level contract for him.

Does anyone know an expected date for Noel's return?  I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Noel.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah, I was wondering about the JV/Noel fit myself. Seems like he'd just price himself out of the backup role like Biyombo did last summer.

I still like Rozier for Noel. With our offense being as potent as it is right now and with Brown's emergence in the second unit, a rebounding and mobile big like Noel might push is over the top into contender territory.

I would reluctantly do that, although it is unclear we would retain Noel this summer. Signing Noel to huge money means we are losing one of Bradley or IT 100% when their contracts are up.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

In the pre draft process Phoenix had allegedly Red Flagged Noel.
Per NBADraft.net:

We’re hearing from league sources that Nerlens Noel’s knee was red flagged by Suns. There’s speculation that he could slip out of top 10.

http://fansided.com/2013/06/27/nba-draft-2013-phoenix-suns-red-flagged-nerlens-noel-may-fall-out-of-top-10/

Who knows if the Phoenix FO is still taking that stance, but I think they'd rather just keep all of their eggs in the Dragan Bender/Marquis Chriss Basket and hope that Alex Len turns into a legitimate player.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Apparently, he's "very available" right now with Embiid's great play so far, too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2674081-nerlens-noel-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-center

I think Danny needs to pull the trigger on this. Losing Rozier would suck, but I think we need Noel's rebounding and perimeter D and mobility more than Rozier in the second unit. It also would keep him away from a competitor. Apparently, as of this morning we're SECOND in the NBA in offensive rating and 28TH in defensive rating. :o

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Apparently, he's "very available" right now with Embiid's great play so far, too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2674081-nerlens-noel-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-76ers-center

I think Danny needs to pull the trigger on this. Losing Rozier would suck, but I think we need Noel's rebounding and perimeter D and mobility more than Rozier in the second unit. It also would keep him away from a competitor. Apparently, as of this morning we're SECOND in the NBA in offensive rating and 28TH in defensive rating. :o
I love Rozier, but I think Rozier for Noel is a home run.

The only issue with adding Noel is, the C's will essentially be pricing themselves out of a max free agent if they bring on Noel, unless they are willing to let Noel walk to sign a max guy.

Also, let's say the Kings decide to trade Boogie and want Rozier, you don't want to have moved Rozier in a Noel deal before Boogie becomes available.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If Ainge could get Noel for some of the offers fans imagine, I think he'd already be a Celtic.   Go get him, Danny.