Author Topic: Nets shopping/listening to offers for Lopez; trade expected before deadline  (Read 7489 times)

Re: Nets shopping/listening to offers for Lopez; trade expected before deadline
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2674074-brook-lopez-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-nets-center

Also says the C's aren't interested.

Hopefully the sooner the better. They should clearly be a bottom-three team without Lopez. But what teams would potentially want such a deal? Portland? I wonder if there's any three-way deal that could be made to finally land us Boogie, Lopez in Sacramento, and assets and picks to Brooklyn, though that'd require Lopez to agree to resign in Sacramento.

I don't know that they are any worse without Lopez. Because of their scheme they hardly play him. The ridiculous part of this is that I have to imagine they have lowed his value at least a little bit with how they have played him in an offense that doesn't fit and have at least given the appearance they few him as less durable sitting him out the third game of the season for rest.

He went for 34 and 11 in 29 minutes their last game.  Hardly play him because of scheme is a bit of a stretch.

He didn't get as much PT the prior game because the Nets were down 27 after 3 -- no reason to play him in such a scenario.  And they sat him another because they'd rather he not get hurt.  But in their two wins, he's combined for 59 points in 55 minutes.  In other words, when the Nets have played well, Lopez has been a major contributor.

Meh I mean it is easy to twist around stats on small sample sizes (coupled with explanations). He has had 1 great game, 1 very good game, 1 mediocre and 1 pretty awful game. The biggest thing is his minutes are at 24.5 which is pretty low for a 28 year old all-star. By comparison he averaged 33.7 a game last year. You can say played less minutes because they lost to the bulls, but why did he only play 21 against us (a team he torched last year that has very limited frontcourt depth) The obvious answer is he is not a big part of what they are doing.

You're ignoring the key point that when he's played well the team has won, and when he hasn't (or hasn't played), they've lost.  That he's inconsistent doesn't mean he isn't important, or without him they'd be better.  There's been next-to-nothing in 5 games that should lead you to that conclusion.  His primary backup is Justin Hamilton.  The difference in production is vast.
He doesn't seem to be a great system fit for what they want to do. They obviously aren't going to get better if they trade him for nothing, but if they trade him for someone that fits their new system better then it's likely a trade makes them better.

As to the point about when he plays well the team wins and when he doesn't they lose. On average almost all players perform better in wins than in losses.

The on/off stats indicate that they might be better if they replaced him with someone who fits their system better. This year the Nets have a net rating of -5.7 when Lopez is on the court (98 minutes) vs a net rating of -.7 when he off the court (142 minutes).

My argument isn't that Brook Lopez is bad so trading him will make the Nets better. It's Brook Lopez doesn't fit the Nets scheme, so trading him for a player that does could help them win more.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The Nets seem to be going for a freewheeling 3-chucking kind of offense, and Brook just doesn't fit well. If they're going for a teardown and build up they could arguably not lose much ground replacing him with stretchier more athletic bigs.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Good.

Their new GM knows what he's doing.

I bet they'll work out a decent trade.

Trading a center these days, I think you'd pretty much have to ask for another center.  Maybe they should try to get Knight and Len from Phoenix.  That could be worth considering for both sides.

I find that a bit confusing. It seems like the Suns would be building around Booker, Bender, Chriss and Warren. At 26 Bledsoe may already be a little too old for that group. Why would it be good for them to trade away 24 year old Brandon knight and 23 year old Len for 28 year old Lopez?

Because Sarver wants them to stay competitive and not tank.
I could see them wanting to be competitive, but how competitive is the team you are proposing?

Bledsoe
Booker
Warren
Dudley
Lopez/Chandler

I don't even think Sarver views that as a playoff team..

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 04:48:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
IIRC, I believe he's also an expiring contract, so he'll pretty much have to agree to resigning anywhere that he gets traded to. Does he do that for Phoenix? I'm not sure.

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Lopez to the Mavs for Wes Matthews, Justin Anderson, Future first. Fair Deal?

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 05:06:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
IIRC, I believe he's also an expiring contract, so he'll pretty much have to agree to resigning anywhere that he gets traded to. Does he do that for Phoenix? I'm not sure.

You are incorrect.  He has one year after this, with neither player nor team options.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Good

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think that is waaaaay too much for Brook. There is a much stronger supply of big men than demand in the league in todays game.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't like it for either side.  The Mavs need to hold onto future 1sts because Dirk will be gone soon.  The Nets don't need to take on 2+ years of Wes Matthews.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 05:15:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good.

Their new GM knows what he's doing.

I bet they'll work out a decent trade.

Trading a center these days, I think you'd pretty much have to ask for another center.  Maybe they should try to get Knight and Len from Phoenix.  That could be worth considering for both sides.

I find that a bit confusing. It seems like the Suns would be building around Booker, Bender, Chriss and Warren. At 26 Bledsoe may already be a little too old for that group. Why would it be good for them to trade away 24 year old Brandon knight and 23 year old Len for 28 year old Lopez?

Because Sarver wants them to stay competitive and not tank.
I could see them wanting to be competitive, but how competitive is the team you are proposing?

Bledsoe
Booker
Warren
Dudley
Lopez/Chandler

I don't even think Sarver views that as a playoff team..

I don't think that team would be competitive, but I do think Sarver would like the idea of trading a redundant scoring guard and a 23 year old center who hasn't shown much for a 18-20 ppg scoring big.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 05:34:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Smart decision. I do doubt that anyone will give them anything worthwhile, though. I mean, who would even want him?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

You are incorrect.  He has one year after this, with neither player nor team options.

Ah, I was thinking he had an ETO or player option. Should make it a bit easier to trade him then, though I still struggle to find a good scenario for trading him.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Perfect laker

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
What if.......
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jrvehye

Nets out: Lopez
Nets in: Amir, James Young, Koufous,their pick back this year

Sac out: Boogie, Koufous
Sac in: Lopez, Smart, Mickey, picks

BOS out: Amir, Smart, Young, Mickey, bkn pick, plus others to Sac
BOS in: Boogie

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think that is waaaaay too much for Brook. There is a much stronger supply of big men than demand in the league in todays game.

Way too much? What do you suggest then. Matthews straight up? I wouldn't do that I'd I were The Nets,