Poll

Would you trade Bradley, JJ, and the Memphis pick for Klay right now?

Yes
24 (72.7%)
No
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Would you trade Bradley, JJ, and the Memphis pick for Klay right now?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Hypothetically-speaking, if Myers called Ainge and offered Thompson for Bradley, JJ, and the Memphis pick, would you do it?

Reasoning:

Small sample size, but Klay has been pretty terrible so far this year, and he clearly looks to be the odd man out in the group. Further, his contract, while actually pretty excellent in the current NBA Salary climate, could hurt them a bit when trying to re-sign Steph and/or Durant this summer. And Klay's contract runs an extra year past Bradley's contract, with no early options or anything like that.

Bradley, on the other hand, has never been better. He's coming off of an All-Defensive 1st team selection, and he's lighting up the NBA at the moment, though at an unsustainable level.

Comparing the two, Klay is definitely the better offensive player, but when both sides of the ball are considered, they're closer than most people would think, even with Klay's above average defense. This is especially true when you consider Bradley's ball-hawking ability and its usefulness to a Golden State team that will have to go through a Western Conference playoffs with Westbrook, Paul, and Lillard, let alone Irving, IT, and Lowry from the East (the most likely Eastern contenders). And while Thompson is best as a high-usage player, Bradley is effective as a low-usage player that will hit open shots when given them.

To me, this is one of the rare trades where I think both sides actually benefit and get better. Bradley is an absolutely perfect fit at the 2 in Golden State, and Thompson would be a very good fit for us at the 2/3 here. He'd give us the extra scorer that we've been lacking, along with improving our three point shooting even more.

I'd even go as far as Bradley, JJ (who also would be a valuable and versatile sub for them on a bench that is pretty shallow), and the Memphis pick for Klay. However, I probably wouldn't do more than that, because I think Klay will ultimately be hurt the most by the addition of Durant, as is being shown now.

Would you do it?

Re: Would you trade Bradley, JJ, and the Memphis pick for Klay right now?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 12:05:47 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I really hope no one votes "no."
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: Would you trade Bradley and JJ for Klay right now?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:06:04 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
jpotter33, I love you, and you always post insightful comments and posts, but...

I seriously don't think the GSW would settle for Bradley, JJ, and the Memphis pick.

I think Bradley, JJ, 2018 Nets pick, and even the Grizz or Clippers would have to be the starting offer, for them to even consider it.

I wonder what it would take to bring in Klay Thompson, and Cousins.

If we could keep IT or Smart as our PG, could IT or Smart, Thompson, Crowder, (assuming Brown gets sent out,) Horford, and Cousins, a championship contender?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:08:19 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
jpotter33, I love you, and you always post insightful comments and posts, but...

I seriously don't think the GSW would settle for Bradley, JJ, and the Memphis pick.

I think Bradley, JJ, 2018 Nets pick, and even the Grizz or Clippers would be a starting offer.

even then, they wanna win now. they dont want picks. they want guys who can play now.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I think Bradley, JJ, 2018 Nets pick, and even the Grizz or Clippers would be a starting offer.

even then, they wanna win now. they dont want picks. they want guys who can play now.

Even if they lose Klay Thompson, their still a contender... Bradley for Klay might make the team a little weaker, but it still puts GSW in consideration for contention...

They could always package their young players, and our picks which could be valuable as trade fodder, or maybe a possible 3 team way deal.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

After about a month of Klay underperforming, I think their price will come down, especially if Bradley stays anywhere near where he's at.

They also recognize that they have to do something more about the Kyrie's, Paul's, and Lillard's of the world, who usually tear them up. Having a ball-hawking guard like Bradley would greatly benefit them in those series.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

After about a month of Klay underperforming, I think their price will come down, especially if Bradley stays anywhere near where he's at.

They also recognize that they have to do something more about the Kyrie's, Paul's, and Lillard's of the world, who usually tear them up. Having a ball-hawking guard like Bradley would greatly benefit them in those series.

Still going to take far more than what you offered. Yes Bradley can guard Irving, Lillard, and Westbrook just as well as the best of them. But Thompson clearly fits more of a need on our team, and GSW will certainly take advantage of our dire need of a wing, and skilled shooter, gaining the most leverage over trade talks.

Their price will come down, but I really don't think GSW would trade Thompson, until they finish the year. But I agree, someone is the odd man out, and with Draymond Green, being able to take an extra 2-3 shots, and handle the ball more with Klay gone would be perfect in pleasing Green's recent distrust in his role.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Even if they lose Klay Thompson, their still a contender... Bradley for Klay might make the team a little weaker, but it still puts GSW in consideration for contention...

They could always package their young players, and our picks which could be valuable as trade fodder, or maybe a possible 3 team way deal.

I disagree. I've long beat the drum that a Golden State team with Bradley over Klay is better overall than with Klay. Their offense is already elite, so the significant improvement in perimeter D is worth the minor dip in offense, especially with Bradley's ability to function as a low-usage player. And this is even more confirmed with Bradley's history of shutting down the Lillard's and Irving's of the world already.

And that's not mentioning the contract benefits that he'll bring them. They might have to lose Iggy to keep all of them next year, which probably isn't the case if they make a trade like this.

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 12:18:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Still going to take far more than what you offered. Yes Bradley can guard Irving, Lillard, and Westbrook just as well as the best of them. But Thompson clearly fits more of a need on our team, and GSW will certainly take advantage of our dire need of a wing, and skilled shooter, gaining the most leverage over trade talks.

Their price will come down, but I really don't think GSW would trade Thompson, until they finish the year. But I agree, someone is the odd man out, and with Draymond Green, being able to take an extra 2-3 shots, and handle the ball more with Klay gone would be perfect in pleasing Green's recent distrust in his role.

Oh, I agree, and I'm just throwing this out there as a hypothetical right now. Things would have to be pretty dire for that to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them do some type of similar deal this summer, ESPECIALLY if they lose again. There's just going to be too many sacrifices all around to make to try and keep everyone this summer.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 12:22:01 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm noticing that Klay now has to guard bigger than he use to.  He has a great size advantage going against other wings, but with Durant & the all-small-ball-all-the-time new look dubs, he's guarding the the 4's that Barnes use to take (so KD doesn't have to).  It's not a great role for him.  He loses the size advantage he had on D, and isn't as engaged in offensely. 

I reckon the dubs would want a player who can play that Barnes role in any deal, and someone like Jae or Jaylen might be more appealing as result. 

If I were them; I'm probably asking for both AB and Crowder for Klay. 

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 01:08:05 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Read through all the posts and enjoyed thinking about the question, jpotter.  But it's probably way too early to begin extrapolating anything from this new GS team, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 07:36:02 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would make the trade but I wouldn't like doing it. It's clearly one sided but we give up a player that is loved and bring in a guy who comes across a bit too arrogant to be honest.

We could just enjoy Bradley's good run of form instead of capitalising on it for a trade?

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Yes...I might even include a Brooklyn pick.

Klay is special.

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
letmethinkaboutityes!

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »

Offline buzz4209

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think I don't do the deal.

Avery and Klay are MUCH closer to the same player than most think.

Give AB 4 more shots a game and he's scoring a similar per game to Klay, slightly less efficiently, but look who Klay is playing next to and how open his shots are. Look at how well AB shoots when he's wide open like that. You can see it right now at the start of this season.

Last year AB was being forced to take a lot of contested end of shot clock shots.

Klay is better on D than you think, but still, I'd rather have AB, Jaylen, and a pick than just Klay.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Avery+Bradley&player_id1_select=Avery+Bradley&y1=2016&player_id1=bradlav01&hint=Klay+Thompson&player_id2_select=Klay+Thompson&y2=2016&player_id2=thompkl01