Author Topic: Ray Allen Retires  (Read 11223 times)

Re: Ray Allen Retires
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2016, 09:24:38 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I urge Celtics fans still angry about Ray's departure to MIA to let it go

The MIA that we all love to hate is no more - with Wade's departure to CHI, Chris Bosh's untimely illness and Lebron's return home to win another championship.

To hold onto loathing about it all is unhealthy.

Ray Allen gave us some memorable times here in BOS...I wish we could cherish that.

Why can't we simply remember 2008-2011? Including the Shaq year? Because with RAY, KG, Shaq, Paul and Rajon this team was dominant for the first half of 2010-11 season.

It's poster's right to dislike him, but after a while we learn to let stuff go.

Agreed!! You cant hate a man that decides to do what he thinks its best for him which eventually paid out for himself.

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you take the eventual NBA champion to 7 games in the Eastern Conference Finals (Did Miami just spot BOS a 3-2 series lead for the heck of it?) which included both a series lead, a chance to close out the series at home, and a 2nd half lead in the decisive game 7, I'd say you were a contender. 

In this case, you'd be wrong though... because Boston wasn't a contender that year.  They were the 10th best team in a lockout shortened season, got a lucky path to the ECF, got beat down when it mattered.   

And regardless of whether or not you think they were a contender that year (they weren't), the fact is that Boston had tried trading Ray in 2009, had tried trading Ray in 2010, had tried trading Ray in 2011... literally traded him in 2012...

“I was actually traded to Memphis,” Allen tells Datwon Thomas. “I got the phone call and [was] told that I was traded for O.J. Mayo. I was in San Francisco to play the Warriors. Danny Ainge and I talked, and he asked me how I felt about it. I told him I was upset, that I couldn’t believe it. “I said, ‘I can’t knock you. You have to do what you do for your team. I understand it’s a business [and] there’s nothing I can do about it.'”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/ray-allen-opens-up-about-near-trade-to-grizzlies-for-o-j-mayo-in-final-year-with-celtics/

Not only was Ray in thousands of trade ideas created by Celtic fans, but the team itself was trying to get rid of him.

Then, he lost his starting role to then unproven Avery Bradley.

It was already public the team was going to get Courtney Lee.

On July 10th, they signed Jason Terry

A day later, Ray bailed.

Ray likely looked at the team, saw there was zero loyalty from them, saw that he was now going to share minutes on a bench with Courtney Lee and Jason Terry, saw that the team was aging badly and had barely scraped together 39 wins the year prior, saw that the team was likely a .500 also-ran at this point, saw that the team was about a year away from blowing it up entirely and going full blown tank mode... and decided he'd take his talents to South Beach where a real contender needed his services off the bench.

Side note:  It was also well-known that Ray and Rondo hated each other.  Rondo was eventually exposed.  Ray was vindicated on that as well.

He was right in every possible way.   The team barely won 41 games and got beat down by the Knicks in round 1.   Ray was right to have bailed on them.   Soon after, KG and Pierce decided they wanted to be traded to the Nets.   Doc Rivers decided he wanted to coach the Clippers... and Boston went full-on tankjob. 

There should be no ill will towards Ray Allen.  Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves for disrespecting one of the hired guns who gifted this sad sack franchise a title in 2008.

I'm not. Trust me. You haven't refuted one thing I've said. Lockout season or not, by that point that group didn't give a [dang] about the regular season.  It was all about health and getting to the playoffs. "Beat down when it mattered"? C'mon you're better than that.

All that other stuff? The superfluous nonsense I was alluding to. Ray in trade ideas? Who cares. The stuff that happened in the subsequent offseason? Irrelevant. None of that means a lick when it comes to the fact that the '11-12 Celtics were less than a quarter away from the NBA Finals. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
In 5-10 years these guys will all look back and realize without one another there was no championship

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's on ESPN Twitter, should be a story soon.

Lot of negativity toward Ray here, and not without good reason, but he was a vital part of our 08 Finals and much of our 2010 and 2012 runs. Beyond that, simply an all-time great, and almost managed to retire as the greatest shooter ever til Curry blew up. Happy retirement Mr. Shuttlesworth.

As far as I'm concerned, he IS the best shooter ever. 

I can understand why some people don't like Ray around here, and as a person I'm not his biggest fan myself.  But we shouldn't allow personal dislike to impact our level of respect for somebody's professional accomplishments.

Over his entire NBA career, Ray Allen has always been one of the hardest working and best conditioned players in the NBA.  According to reports I've read, he spent most of his career hovering between 4% - 6% body fat.  Many people describe him as being the type of guy who was always the first in the gym, and the last to leave.  There are also well documented reports on the rediculous number of shots he used to take every day.

It's this absolute dedication to his craft and his body that allowed him to averaged 19 PPG on 45% / 40% / 89% shooting over 18 NBA seasons - and that consistency and longevity had a lot to do with why he was able to steal the all-time three point record away from Reggie, finishing up on 2,973 three pointers made.

Steph Curry is a great shooter, and right now he may well be better then Ray ever was.  But he doesn't seem nearly as well conditioned as Ray Allen was - will he play as many seasons as Ray did?  Will he remain as effective as Ray did over such a long period of time?  Will he peak sooner and fall off harder and earlier? 

Time will tell.

As far as I'm concerned Ray is still the best shooter until somebody can say they have had better career numbers.

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2016, 04:25:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The MIA that we all love to hate is no more - with Wade's departure to CHI, Chris Bosh's untimely illness and Lebron's return home to win another championship.

Ray Allen gave us some memorable times here in BOS...I wish we could cherish that.

Why can't we simply remember 2008-2011? Including the Shaq year? Because with RAY, KG, Shaq, Paul and Rajon this team was dominant for the first half of 2010-11 season.

Agreed!! You cant hate a man that decides to do what he thinks its best for him which eventually paid out for himself.
i agree. It's shameful that any fan would hate on Ray for bailing this sinking ship 12 months before everyone else bailed on it.   Had the trade of ray for OJ mayo stuck, everyone would still see ray as a hero.  Ray was completely justified in leaving.  His decision was completely vindicated.  The reason for the hostility is because of some butthurt inferiority complex from fans who saw Lebron as our "rival" and thus felt it was traitorous to join him.  I don't agree.  I think any fan who refuses to respect and adore ray Allen should retroactively give back their 2008 championship celebration, because you clearly don't deserve it. 

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2016, 04:30:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
In 5-10 years these guys will all look back and realize without one another there was no championship
yeah hopefully KG and Pierce eventually accept that the team was toast by that point and their decision to waive their no trade clause to abandon the Celtics and join a playoff team in our own division was arguably much worse than what Ray did.  And by "arguably much worse" I mean exactly even ... since both decisions were benign, fully justified, and made no lick of difference to the fact they won a title together in 08.   Fans and former Celtic players alike need to get over it and show ray the admiration and appreciation he deserves.  Dude was a legend.

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2016, 06:42:39 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
yeah hopefully KG and Pierce eventually accept that the team was toast by that point and their decision to waive their no trade clause to abandon the Celtics and join a playoff team in our own division was arguably much worse than what Ray did.  And by "arguably much worse" I mean exactly even ... since both decisions were benign, fully justified, and made no lick of difference to the fact they won a title together in 08.   Fans and former Celtic players alike need to get over it and show ray the admiration and appreciation he deserves.  Dude was a legend.

Pierce didn't have a no trade clause, Danny was going to trade him anyway, then KG joined the Nets deal later after some convincing that we would be rebuilding and Pierce would be traded. They didn't want to go, Danny pushed them out to start the rebuild.

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Thanks for the memories Ray.  He was always one of my favorites to watch.  All the better when he came here.  Ray, in his prime, would be going silly in today's 3 happy NBA.
Yup

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2016, 08:05:16 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

It is a stated fact that Ainge and Wyc asked Pierce and KG to accept the trade for the good of the Celtics franchise. Neither of them wanted to leave.

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 09:25:19 AM »

Offline buzz4209

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5

Anyone doubting how good Ray really was, head over to celticsstats.com and compare Ray who finished his Celtics Career with 358 games played, and Avery, who just hit 358 games played. I think we all agree Avery is a really good player, but wow, Ray. Look at his all time Celtics #'s in just 358 games. Check out KG and Pierce while you are there. Those were three special players.

Couple key stats,

Ray, 3rd all time in 3's for Celts, Avery 7th.
Ray, 23rd points, Avery 34th

Seriously though, go look at all the names on those lists and where he stands in relation. Ray was great.

Sure it hurt when Ray left, but he still was amazing for us on the court, and he did a LOT for the city of Boston while he was here off the court.

I'm not sure his # gets retired, but if it does I wouldn't be outraged. Nothing but love for Ray.

Buzz

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

LOL.

"For Boston's Big Three, it would be the team's final run as a true title contender."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17943429/ray-allen-left-complicated-legacy-boston

But please, go ahead and tell us how they weren't contenders, and why this ESPN piece is wrong, and everyone is just stupid except for you!

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Steph Curry is a great shooter, and right now he may well be better then Ray ever was.  But he doesn't seem nearly as well conditioned as Ray Allen was - will he play as many seasons as Ray did?  Will he remain as effective as Ray did over such a long period of time?  Will he peak sooner and fall off harder and earlier? 

Time will tell.

As far as I'm concerned Ray is still the best shooter until somebody can say they have had better career numbers.

Reasonable people can differ, but Curry got to 1600 3s in over 200 fewer games than Ray, with substantially better percentages - 44.4% vs 40%. And he has 3 seasons with more made 3s than Ray's career best. 

He doesn't need to be as durable as Ray to surpass him pretty easily on totals with better percentages.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:14:22 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

It is a stated fact that Ainge and Wyc asked Pierce and KG to accept the trade for the good of the Celtics franchise. Neither of them wanted to leave.

I wasn't sure if this was true, but if it does it definitely crushes the Ray Allen just went a year earlier talk.

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I wasn't sure if this was true, but if it does it definitely crushes the Ray Allen just went a year earlier talk.

I believe it's basically true. And beyond Ainge and Wyc asking Pierce and KG to accept the trade, Pierce had to convince KG to accept the trade.

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

i agree. It's shameful that any fan would hate on Ray for bailing this sinking ship 12 months before everyone else bailed on it.   Had the trade of ray for OJ mayo stuck, everyone would still see ray as a hero.  Ray was completely justified in leaving.  His decision was completely vindicated.  The reason for the hostility is because of some butthurt inferiority complex from fans who saw Lebron as our "rival" and thus felt it was traitorous to join him.  I don't agree.  I think any fan who refuses to respect and adore ray Allen should retroactively give back their 2008 championship celebration, because you clearly don't deserve it.
get off your high horse. Its a business. Everyone knows that and Ray Allen knew it better than anyone. He got traded to Boston did his job for 5 years and then left when a better job became available. If there was any emotion in Allens decision to leave it was "Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. you" to the Celtics because they didnt treat him well.

I respect Ray Allen tremendously. Hes a terrific terrific player and helped get us a title. But you cant say he deserves our adoration. Thats not for you to decide.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.